Don't Play if you don't speak/read japanese

#21BreyantPosted 11/3/2012 10:59:37 AM
I play Tales games in Japanese because the games are a lot of fun, and a great way to learn the language. I'm definitely not fluent and know I'm missing out on a lot of the story, but I can read and understand basic Japanese so learning while playing a video game is amazing.
#22confettistormPosted 11/3/2012 11:04:17 AM
heimdalgc posted...
I say this on every tales board and posters say back "i don't read but beat it no guide"

But really.....why play if u no speaky Japanese?

You sure as heck don't get the majority of the story. You don't get the complete experience. Mostly good for battle.....

Silky to spend money on something you won't 190% get...then when it comes out in engrish you buy again!

As I said before, please write in proper English.
If you yourself can't write in proper English, take your own medicine and stop playing games in English...

And this is your opinion... Please don't shove it down the throat of those who want to experience the game, even with a language barrier...
I'm pretty sure people don't understand the language know fully well they won't be able to understand absolutely everything...
#23NirvaphreakPosted 11/3/2012 11:07:30 AM
I for one play for the story and gameplay. One thing to love about Tales is their characters and seiyuus ;)
---
Playing:Tekken Tag 2, Tales of Xillia 2
Want:
#24zelda_king3Posted 11/3/2012 11:32:39 AM
I bought Tales of Xillia 1 when it first came out back in September and I don't speak or read Japanese fluently, but I got the gist of what they were saying and was able complete Jude's side no problem.

The first game was pretty straight forward and almost common sense if you played previous Tales games before. I'm not so sure with the second game, but I am pretty sure if you can maneuver fine in the first game, then the second won't be much of a problem.
---
PSN: Spud_Commando
3DS FC: 4296 - 3935 - 6562
#25EdalborezPosted 11/3/2012 12:29:10 PM
I ordered a Japanese PS2 just for Tales of Destiny remake a few years back. Started me on my piecemeal learning of Japanese. Emotion and inflection is one thing that Japanese voice actors excel at, in my opinion. I don't need to understand every word.
#26ikilledkenny2Posted 11/3/2012 12:41:12 PM
I didn't know any Japanese when I started importing Tales with Destiny 2 back in the day.

Now through watching anime/playing Japanese games/VNs I can understand a fair amount of the voiced dialogue and read s little bit, never would have happened if I didn't start importing when I knew nothing
#27EduardoESRPosted 11/3/2012 3:40:55 PM
I had lot's of fun with Wii Tales of Graces without understanding any japanese. I still get some things now, but I'm far from fluent, yet I had lot's of fun with Xillia. You can have fun with games without actually understanding them ya know.
#28KhentaiPosted 11/3/2012 4:00:30 PM
Who gives you the bloody right to tell importers what they should and shouldn't do?
---
US PSN[PS3 Primary] :RPGKenneth
JAPAN PSN[PSP/PS Vita Primary] KennethRPG
#29Adell_d2Posted 11/3/2012 4:31:00 PM(edited)
Khentai posted...
Who gives you the bloody right to tell importers what they should and shouldn't do?

This so much.
---
Playing: PSO2
#30heimdalgc(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2012 5:03:24 PM
What does Sage have to do with it...and if I'm Sage...clearly not a troll....everyone uses that word too much. If not popular topic....troll...
---
Official Alyssa of the Final Fantasy 13-2 Boards
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind