The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Should I Just Skip This One?

#1Crimson SkysPosted 2/6/2013 5:31:37 PM
I'm a fan of the Dead Space series but DS3 seems to be getting mostly average reviews so I'm not sure if I should just ignore it. So is DS3 a game that I should skip or is it a must play if you've played the other games in the series?
---
"You spoony bard!" -- Tellah (Final Fantasy IV)
#2skylinefreekPosted 2/6/2013 5:33:07 PM
This game is great and when does an 8-9 equal average?
---
i5-2500K I 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1600 I Asus GTX 660 I Seasonic M12II 620W I Asus P8B75-V I Antec 900 case I 1TB HDD I Windows 7
#3Crimson Skys(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 5:33:59 PM
skylinefreek posted...

It's been getting mostly 7's and 8's with an occasional 9.
---
"You spoony bard!" -- Tellah (Final Fantasy IV)
#4denniedarkoPosted 2/6/2013 5:35:19 PM
I loved the first, still haven't beaten the second, (though I loved it more than the first from what I played), and absolutely love this game. I love messing with the crafting, the story, the look of the game.

I just got down to the planet and am getting a "The Thing" feel from the game now.

I wasn't going to get this at first, but a buddy of mine talked me into to it to do co op. I am glad I picked it up.

And btw, so far I have been playing solo, and I can't tell there is a co op mode. It feels very single player to me. Can't wait to try the co op later tonight.
---
Now Playing: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Halo (series)
Last Played: Halo Reach (8/10), Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (7/10), Halo 2 (9/10)
#5HolyLancer9Posted 2/6/2013 5:42:34 PM
In all honesty, the jump of differences from DS1 to DS2 was a lot more than DS2 to DS3. 2 and 3 play largely identically. Most people are just butthurt over the microtransactions and DLC. Both of which are easy to ignore, since it is all just parts you easily find in-game and aesthetic stuff like suits and extra guns.

Another complaint is that you fight human enemies. I guess I can understand that complaint, but so far I haven't encountered many, and it doesn't really detract from the game much.

Weapon creation and upgrading is neat, but collecting raw materials for upgrades and item creation feels like a "been there, done that" kinda thing.

So far it really hasn't been too scary. The beginning areas feel very much in line with the past installments (exploring the old, abandoned ships) and many areas feel straight out of DS1. Don't know how things will change once I get to the planet, though.

Anyway, to me, it feels just like DS2, except with some new customization features and systems (suit kiosks, benches being your one-stop for all things weapon and item related, etc) as opposed to just buying everything.
---
http://www.zibaricon.org/
Randomness. Awesomeness. And comics.
#6DruffPosted 2/6/2013 5:58:42 PM
Hard to say. Personally, I remember when they first started talking about DS2, Visceral was totally open about the fact that they were designing it to have more "action and set pieces" than DS1 did. And immediately, the fans started crying and rending their own garments and whining that "oh noes thay r ruin mah ded spece :(" Then DS2 came out, I played it, and I thought "Hey, this is a proper Dead Space game... those whiners got their panties in a bunch over nothing." Yet once in a while I do hear someone say that they love DS1 but they hated DS2 because it was a completely different kind of game.

So while I'd like to reassure you that DS3 is for the most part a proper Dead Space game and you'll probably like it, I hesitate because for all I know you're one of those people.
---
Caution - You are approaching the periphery shield of Vortex Four
#7Shadow ReaverPosted 2/6/2013 6:00:35 PM
Crimson Skys posted...
skylinefreek posted...

It's been getting mostly 7's and 8's with an occasional 9.

now a-days people believe 7 to be Average however I use the Entire 1-10 so 5 IS average.

Here a comparison of then and now

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/8638/13119661598595.png
---
We each play out the parts Fate has written for us. Free will is an Illusion. - Kain
I Pray to no One! Nor will I be prayed to! - Asura
#8keybladeXIIIPosted 2/6/2013 6:10:37 PM(edited)
Lol @ 7 being "average". You guys must live in a fantasy land, unless you just want to buy overrated GOTY games over and over again.
---
I hate seeing sigs with PC specs on them.
PSN: tookhster ------ Proud owner of a Wii, PS3, 360, 3DS, Vita, and now a Wii U!
#9Dark_SpiretPosted 2/6/2013 6:10:38 PM
depends on just how much youre invested in the series. 3 doesnt have as much atmosphere and is heavily combat focused with tons of enemies swarming you and human enemies thrown in at certain parts. IMO its worse than DS2 and even in certain ways with DS1. It also doesnt do much for the story that 1-2 have established. As an action game its quite good.

All that said its combat is even more fun, its coop is good, the weapon building and random drops are addicting and the game is quite long(15-20hours) with tons of replay value and unlockable items and game modes. Id say its worth it if you like the series, but id keep my expectations in check.
#10strideurPosted 2/6/2013 6:23:03 PM
Shadow Reaver posted...

now a-days people believe 7 to be Average however I use the Entire 1-10 so 5 IS average.

Here a comparison of then and now

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/8638/13119661598595.png

I lol'd because it so true. Sad, but true.