No local co-op in DS3

#1RazorX3Posted 9/22/2012 3:02:48 PM(edited)
I don't know if anyone of you have heard by now, but there won't be any local splitscreen/couch co-op in DS3, it'll be strictly online.

According to this interview
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/gamereport/dead_space_interview_with_steve_xsuN08DmUpOCB2czd4B6QP

"Let me ask you about co-op. Is it going to be local where someone else is playing in your apartment or house? Or is it going to be online co-op? Or is it either or?"

"Itís actually going to be online co-op and the thinking wasóthe idea of split-screen we did kick that around a little bit [but] that would absolutely detract from any kind of Ö we thought it was going to detract too much from the immersion. If youíre looking from one screen and you see two viewports, thatís really taking you out of what has been a Dead Space experience.
We felt a great place [was] being on the headsets, online with your friend [and] you could still have that very custom experience for you, seeing only what you see and we felt that was really going to deliver on a very good, cooperative experience. So thatís the direction we went.
One of the most talked about sequences in the last game comes at the very beginningówe literally see someone become a Necromorph. I remember reading interviews at the time that said it was such a hard technological achievement, but you guys felt you really needed and wanted to make it happen. Without spoiling anything, is there a jarring moment or two like that coming in Dead Space 3?
The Dead Space team is just committed to quality from top to bottom. They want to push themselves to out-do what they do in previous iterations. So you can bet weíre going to have sequences that [top that] particular sequence you called out.
This team is incredible. They are just full of people that want to deliver a highest quality possible. And they push themselves daily to do that.
So I think people are going to be very surprised when they get to see what they pull out this time."

Wow, now that is a BS excuse if I ever heard one. I feel like couch co-op could have been just as crazy and intense as online (I dunno about you guys but I always prefer local co-op anyway, it just feels more organic and exciting to me). Anyone here play RE5? Probably my least favorite RE game of all time, but if it did anything right at all, it was the local co-op experience. Just as terrifying with two people as it was alone (albeit that game wasn't even scary). but you get the point. These devs are full of crap and just made some BS excuse to make sure that everyone will go out and buy the game (probably that and the fact that they are just to lazy to implement it).
---
"Ninja Gaiden is quite possibly the greatest game ever to be brought back"
# of people who agree: 17
#2RazorX3(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2012 3:09:48 PM
Also check this out

"Well, I should have admitted this up front. Iím a single player only kind of guy. I almost never do multiplayer and Iíve never played co-op, but sort of what youíre talking about is interesting enough to me, because I personally play the story and what youíre sort of describingÖ it sounds like Iíll get a different story experience and with a different viewpoint by doing it co-op wise. Thatís interesting to me."

"I think itís going to be really fun for people like yourself that enjoy more of the solitary story-driven experience. Thatís one of the things we factored in from the get-go with this. Because we know thereís a lot of people like you that have supported us. So we didnít want to alienate those people who want to enjoy that.
So from the get-go, one of my mandates I threw down was that we have to deliver that type of experience to those guys. But at the same time, letís create an experience that allows those guys to bring their friends into it. Because I know a lot of people that have enjoyed playing by themselves, and then when they turned to a friend and said hey, you need to try this game. ďOh itís too scary. I donít want to check it out. Itís not right for meĒ [is what they heard in response.]
But when you do it with a friend itís almost like going to a scary movie with a friend now. Itís a little like you can sit back and have a laugh and have a good time and enjoy it together and have an experience together. And that was really important for me and the team to allow people to have an experience that they can share with a friend."

You know, that going to a scary movie with your friend metaphor would have made sense if this game did feature local co-op, but in no way does going online with some "buddy" or some random feel anything remotely like seeing a movie with a friend, because they aren't physically there! What a load of bollocks.
---
"Ninja Gaiden is quite possibly the greatest game ever to be brought back"
# of people who agree: 17
#3MolisiaPosted 9/25/2012 12:43:58 PM
What ticks me off about that is that I don't want to pay money monthly for online play. I play games for the story aspect, and at first I loved the idea of getting different story aspects through both coop and solo. But now that there's no split screen, I don't know how I'm gonna get the full story!
---
Platinum FC: 4511 6353 6254 Kevin
#4shagohad3Posted 9/25/2012 1:01:32 PM
I like offline co-op as much as the next guy but I really can't stand split screen at all.
---
PSN: shagohad12
#5shadowvaynePosted 9/25/2012 4:27:05 PM
Molisia posted...
What ticks me off about that is that I don't want to pay money monthly for online play. I play games for the story aspect, and at first I loved the idea of getting different story aspects through both coop and solo. But now that there's no split screen, I don't know how I'm gonna get the full story!

Maybe system link will be an option.
---
Waiting for Halo 4, RE 6, Dead Space 3 and Tomb Raider.
#6gamezrochardPosted 9/26/2012 7:27:25 PM
Why don't they let the consumer decide if they want to do split-screen or not?
If YOU think the immersion is gone, well good for you, go buy another copy, 360, and TV. I on the other hand have split-screen as a buying factor. I've gone from buying both DS's fresh off the shelf new, to a no buy. I'm not missing parts of the game because THEY think it ruins my immersion.
---
Quoting the Topic Creator's original post is stupid and redundant.
I'm here for intelligent arguments or flaming. It's your job to decipher which.
#7Ryan-06Posted 9/28/2012 8:10:10 PM
Molisia posted...

Monthly? if you're gonna get Gold on xbox, the 12 month plan is the best deal, its cheaper per month.

And yeah its a shame, EA is lazy here. RE5 has both online and split screen. Which only adds to its features and replayability. And that came out in 2009.

Can't wait for RE6! few more days!
---
0=Rei. Pronounced Rei-six
#8abnergoinbigPosted 10/5/2012 7:05:35 PM
i like it though. playing splitscreen will take away from the experience and that makes me feel that the game is still going to be scary since single player was put into mind the most.