My review of the demo

#41Purps1024Posted 1/19/2013 4:30:43 PM
The changes being made in the game are due to the progression of the narrative. After two games, the surprise of the necromorphs is gone. Unitologists soldiers makes sense because of the progression between EarthGov and the Unitologists based off the games, books, and movies. Necromorphs in snow suits makes sense because the people were garbed in snow gear. Cover makes sense when you're getting SHOT AT, but like others have said it's optional.

I feel like people complaining are the kids of this board as it's clear the narrative-development is not something they've paid attention to. Of course, anyone who bases a complete game on a short, 20-minute demo is very naive.
---
Yes.
#42namewitheldPosted 1/19/2013 7:20:21 PM
I swear most of this board got somone else to play the game for them. What else could explain their cheerful acceptance of the drastic gameplay AND general design changes?

The very nature of the thing has been ****ed with.
#43namewitheldPosted 1/19/2013 7:28:22 PM
Purps1024 posted...
The changes being made in the game are due to the progression of the narrative. After two games, the surprise of the necromorphs is gone. Unitologists soldiers makes sense because of the progression between EarthGov and the Unitologists based off the games, books, and movies. Necromorphs in snow suits makes sense because the people were garbed in snow gear. Cover makes sense when you're getting SHOT AT, but like others have said it's optional.

I feel like people complaining are the kids of this board as it's clear the narrative-development is not something they've paid attention to. Of course, anyone who bases a complete game on a short, 20-minute demo is very naive.

Only a manchild who obsesses over middling scifi reads and watches non game content.

The narrative development is thus: isaac is part of a rescue crew. ZOMBIES happen! He suffers a great loss but survives and escapes. BUT THEN ZOMBIES happen again. LOLcult is fleshed out. Our man survives again. NOW ICE PLANET WITH ZOMBIES WITH GUNS!!

ps:LOLcult is the weakest part of the franchise.

pps: its a game. For playing. It better not PLAY like Gears of ****.
#44Purps1024Posted 1/19/2013 11:59:01 PM
namewitheld posted...
Purps1024 posted...

Only a manchild who obsesses over middling scifi reads and watches non game content.

The narrative development is thus: isaac is part of a rescue crew. ZOMBIES happen! He suffers a great loss but survives and escapes. BUT THEN ZOMBIES happen again. LOLcult is fleshed out. Our man survives again. NOW ICE PLANET WITH ZOMBIES WITH GUNS!!

If you want to be completely reductionistic, then sure I could see how things might appear that way, but why the hell are you wasting your time on here and your $$ on DS if you obviously don't care about the DS universe and trash the excellent story fleshed out in each game?

I think this goes back to the point I was making in my initial post above.
---
Yes.
#45VIC10U5Posted 1/20/2013 11:35:59 AM
namewitheld posted...
Purps1024 posted...

Oh, I get it, you're just trolling. Might want to take a page from some of the other trolls playbooks because, well, you're just not very good.
#46Santa_GavinPosted 1/27/2013 9:26:46 PM
:(
---
I am Santa_Gavin
I Donate Babies to the Gavin Family
#47N7Spectre707Posted 1/27/2013 10:45:02 PM
namewitheld posted...
I swear most of this board got somone else to play the game for them. What else could explain their cheerful acceptance of the drastic gameplay AND general design changes?

The very nature of the thing has been ****ed with.

Well to me it seems like everything is getting blown way out of proportion. Of course things are going to change from sequel to sequel; this is a business and companies always want to find ways they can increase revenue, but it isn't just that either. If they don't make changes, the series will get stagnant, and people will be here whining "omg, more corridors, more necromorphs, this is just dead space 2.5, been there done that." etc.

Honestly I like most of the changes. The weapon crafting is freakin awesome, and so appropriate for this game. So there will also occasionally be human enemies with guns. It's part of the narrative. Eventually Isaac was going to have to deal with unitologists. Most of the games I play and enjoy involve enemies with guns, so it's really not something I'm going to get worked up about. There's still plenty of necromorphs, including many new ones with new attack patterns and mutations.

And the change of scenery isn't a bad thing either. I'm sure dead space 3 will have its mix of open bright vistas, tight industrial corridors, and outer space segments. I know, everyone loves to hate EA, and not that EA hasn't earned some hate, but people are being ridiculously harsh on a game they have only played a demo of, and most of these complaints are nitpicking.
---
"I saw GAMEFAQs with faqs being spelled like faqs instead of facts I figured poor grammar to be welcomed"
-MiKe345675
#48hak145Posted 1/28/2013 12:40:38 AM
how could anyone say I would be disappointed and complain if they kept it similiar to DS1 and didn't add anything? I for one would be glad because DS1 was so good. Not too mention DS2 did this exact thing where they kept the essence of the game sound while adding some stuff to it. That is evolution done right so don't tell me that I hate change for the sake of hating it when DS2 did it quite well.
---
Gamertag XL:CRAZYjump
Winner: Dark Souls
#49RophlecktuinePosted 1/28/2013 1:40:57 AM
VIC10U5 posted...
James Mason posted...
You can evolve the gameplay of a franchise without resorting to coop, cover based shooting, human enemies, chest high walls, combat rolls , necromorphs that shoot guns and a bland ice planet setting...

Dead Space was a tense masterpiece of dementia, despair and sheer horror. A mute guy in a derelic , decayed spaceship surviving the unsurvivable. Dead Space 2 delved more into action territory, but it still delivered because it kept the horror vibe, the cramped and Dark Corridors, the soul of the series alive while making the gameplay more fluid and varied. It played better , looked better, while still being tense and true to the core concepts that made DS1 great. Even Dead Space Extraction kept the DS vibe... Strategic dismememberement and reacting to necromorphs swarming out of nowhere.

But Dead Space 3... I dunno, it looks like Lost Planet, the Gameplay looks like Gears of Wars, there's coop that's taken from Resident Evil... Enemies look generic and booring with lame snow suits and such ... They pop out of snow... Or even worse, they shoot their guns at you... You're taking cover to avoid being shot at... There's no tension buildup, at least not in the demo... You just walk in broad daylight and poof a guy comes out of the snow... Even the story feel like they are milking it ... Another marker, more stuff about unitology, Isaac the savoir doing what he does best... Whatever... I don't care about the story anymore... I miss the dark corridors, I miss being Isaac clark, not having a voice actor swearing every five minutes and pulling out combat rolls and dodges with automatic weapons. This is not the Dead Space I enjoyed... Feels like army of two, gears of wars, but with faster enemies you have to dismember and high tech weapons.

BAAWWW! Co-op is OPTIONAL. Rolling and taking cover is OPTIONAL. And how many times can Isaac be stuck in cramped environments. Hell, the Sprawl in 2 was pretty damn big and had some extremely wide open and brightly lit areas. People only want to remember certain parts of both games without realizing that not a whole lot has really changed. So BAWWWWWW!

Youre dumb.

They couldve focused on creating a great ds3 experience, instead they poured their time and resources into making something totally different designed to appeal to casual gamers.

the sold out.
---
My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thegameconomist