Am I the only one that still gets spooked?

#1James128Posted 2/26/2013 11:29:15 PM
Like, how do you guys play the game? I'm guessing you run through it really fast or something?

I tend to check every nook and cranny, go slow, check around corners and pin myself against the wall as soon as I hear a sound.

Is that not the way how to play or am I just being too cautious in my game style?
I guess I end up building my own suspense.
Alone at night, full sound through my headphones, checking corners. I don't do co-op cause people tend to wanna go faster than I do, at least for the first time playing through.
Keep hearing how Dead Space 3 isn't scary but I'm still relatively tense.
#2Malcolm22kPosted 2/26/2013 11:39:02 PM
James128 posted...
Like, how do you guys play the game? I'm guessing you run through it really fast or something?

I tend to check every nook and cranny, go slow, check around corners and pin myself against the wall as soon as I hear a sound.

Is that not the way how to play or am I just being too cautious in my game style?
I guess I end up building my own suspense.
Alone at night, full sound through my headphones, checking corners. I don't do co-op cause people tend to wanna go faster than I do, at least for the first time playing through.
Keep hearing how Dead Space 3 isn't scary but I'm still relatively tense.

That's still the ideal way to play it in my mind. There's no doubt the series had moved away from horror, but that's no reason to not at least make an effort to get immersed. As you say, create your own tension. I actually don't mind self-imposed challenge, tension, or limitation, so long as the game is cohesive enough to support that mindset (you couldn't, for example, likely make Operation Racoon City scary or tense for yourself no matter how hard you tried).

Still...slow, thoughtful, challenging...that's how I like to play. Can't say I understand the folks who just want to whip out a rocket or a chaingun and EZ-mode spray down the hordes of enemies while rushing through the game for the 8th time. The necromorphs already haven't shown much evolution, the last thing I want to do is cheapen them and make myself MORE desensitized.
#3bcon1208Posted 2/27/2013 6:54:36 AM
Yea I could definitely put that stupid explosion guard on my Assault Rifle/Rocket Launcher combo, but that would completely remove part of the challenge for me. Yea, I have an underslung rocket launcher with 2 shots, that will one hit all minor Necros all while dealing awesome AOE damage. Putting that guard on would mean I could just go rambo-style and kill anything and everything...but I don't because I want the challenge of knowing when I can safely use my rockets, and when I need to be precise with my rifle. It's fun that way.

This is why I laugh at all of the complaints about this game being too easy, too action oriented, or just too boring...stop using your stupid chaingun/rocket launcher combos and maybe it'd actually be enjoyable!
---
Loading Post... [|||||||||||||||||||||||__] 85% Complete...
lIl Nemesis lIl
#4DragonWASPPosted 2/27/2013 8:41:10 AM
I've been spooked plenty of times. It's one of the reason that this is my favorite one of the three so far (just now on CH. 14). For me it still keeps that more action feel of the second while bringing back the tension from 1. But at the sametime. I will admit that I scare easily.

bcon1208 posted...
...stop using your stupid chaingun/rocket launcher combos and maybe it'd actually be enjoyable!

I use that combo. :( I just don't use the rocket part that much. I also don't have a guard on it. Although it would make a little sense. And I have shot it really close to me at an enemy a few times in shear panic. Just not at my feet. Some thing about puttting a guard on a rocket just to shoot it at your feet just seems dumb to me (no offense to anyone who does that).
#5GodSlayer66Posted 2/27/2013 10:42:25 AM
I don't see how your playing style affects the scare factor in this game. well actually i would even argue that the jump scares might even be scarier when you rush things because you are not paying as much attention.

Still... How many times are you going to get scared by a necromorph jumping in your face. It got old at 50th time they did it in Dead Space 2. Just like their other scare tactic where they try to overwhelm you with a mass of them.
---
This post is now 20% cooler.
#6incinerator950Posted 2/27/2013 10:43:47 AM
Yes.
---
Glock o'clock
#7divot1338Posted 2/27/2013 9:11:34 PM
That Space Boy statue from the first level scared the bejeezus out of me.
---
Xbox GT: AGE Sam Sneak
#8Master_ChieftanPosted 2/27/2013 9:15:28 PM
the only thing that scared the crap out of me is that stupid pinball machine. It was the same with the fake sun from the second one.
---
"Good men mean well, they just always dont end up doing well" - Isaac Clarke