Jump scares.

#1ItIsOkBroPosted 6/10/2012 11:39:15 AM
Hrmph.
---
I'm wrong for the right.
#2hawkeye 41Posted 6/10/2012 11:01:46 PM
Indeed
---
Welcome to The Wonderful World of Hawkeye41's Grammar!
Wii FC: 4505 7266 2287 1223
#3fhqwghadPosted 6/13/2012 11:39:59 PM
Are not scary; just annoying.
---
And with that, I'm gone.
#4sythe343Posted 6/14/2012 11:21:51 AM
based on your guys' comments i'm assuming you've all had bad experiences with jump scares. It's been my experience that most of the people that hate jump scares just don't like the idea of being sneaked up on or being out of control.

Jump scares are just as useful as seeing glimpses of something, shadows in the dark, and ambient sound...they are all meant to keep you on edge.
---
Jumping feet first into hell isn't your job, making sure it's full when you get there is.
PSN: DedSythe XBL:Ser MeatShield
#5thefinal7Posted 6/21/2012 4:29:23 PM
I love jump scares, they're the best imo. Seeing glimpses of things don't really frighten me, but they're still pretty cool.
---
Why are people so damn hung up on X anyway?
Official Captain America of the MvC3 boards.
#6TMW001Posted 6/21/2012 7:57:05 PM
thefinal7 posted...
I love jump scares, they're the best imo. Seeing glimpses of things don't really frighten me, but they're still pretty cool.

I say jump scares are there best when random points and not the same locker or door make them far better at what they are supposed to do.
#7soulofninjasoulPosted 6/23/2012 8:47:48 AM
Jump scares are absolutely awesome.
Some of the BEST survivor horror games had them- RE1,RE2,Silent Hill 1&2, etc.
I'm dissapointed at the lack of jump scares in games- IMO, there is no such thing as a
"Cheap" scare....

When you get scared, you get scared. Your body doesn't know the difference.
---
Life is an S.T.D with a 100% Mortality rate. NDF Fanboy berserker HAIL NINTENDO.
#8CrapFactoryPosted 6/23/2012 10:35:25 AM
Startles are cheap.

There's 3 factors in survival horrors.

-Startling Scares (Jump Scares?) where even a My Little Pony could scare you if it popped out of nowhere fast enough when you didn't expect it. Jump scares... cheap. However they can be good if the rest of the stuff is good.

-Tension. Some people consider this fear for some reason. Amnesia was heavy with it. However I don't consider it fear. It's another topping like Startles. Good if the main body is good.

-True actual fear. This is the hardest to mimic. Get immersed in something enough, be afraid of what's around the corner. Not wanting to play it at night. If this part isn't right I wouldn't call something a horror. You cannot have just jumps and tension in a horror game.
This is why stuff like Left 4 Dead isn't horror.
---
Pokemon White FC: 4427 0884 0916