Best implementation of a controller

#1VanderZooPosted 6/23/2012 10:34:04 PM
Since Super Mario 64. What do you guys think? I haven't seen a game make such great use of what a controller has to offer since SM64 and the analogue stick.
#2Hawke0Posted 6/24/2012 7:33:46 PM
No. I do think this game looks really good, but that they are going hugely overkill on using the touch screen for every other thing you do in the game.
---
Conduit 2 FC: 0562-2516-9316
#3Diablo56789Posted 6/25/2012 12:41:24 PM
much better than the same controller than PS/Xbox has given us for years
---
I've got a gun to your head!
#4Citan22Posted 6/26/2012 4:43:25 AM
Hawke0 posted...
they are going hugely overkill on using the touch screen for every other thing you do in the game.

and even though you should be looking at the controller screen, i really hope they have an option to remove that stupid "look at Wii U gamepad" message that pops up every two seconds. the situation or change in camera angle should be enough for people to know when it's time to look at the controller.
#5TottentanzPosted 6/26/2012 7:53:48 AM
Citan22 posted...
Hawke0 posted...
they are going hugely overkill on using the touch screen for every other thing you do in the game.

and even though you should be looking at the controller screen, i really hope they have an option to remove that stupid "look at Wii U gamepad" message that pops up every two seconds. the situation or change in camera angle should be enough for people to know when it's time to look at the controller.

It was a demo, so probably once the game is out and your character gets beyond what they consider the tutorial portion, it probably wont prompt you anymore after that.

As for going overkill on using the screen, I find their use of it to be brilliant. They are splitting your attention between screens and forcing you to fidget with BOB to get your supplies in and out of it which is a fun concept when you think about the realism involved.

The intensity of the game is definitely taken up a few notches thanks to the way they use it and how everything is not just a click of a button or instant; even switching from looting and going through BOB takes a few realistic moments rather than an instant event which allows the zombies to close in on you if you are not careful.

Then you have it being used as a map, scanner, and scope which adds to the game. You wont have a HUD in real life, so having a map in hand makes sense. Putting all your attention on a scanner which requires precise aiming to analyze contents of crates rather than you having to dig through them all is kind of cheezy, but it is something that you can put to good use if you make sure you clear your immediate area before scanning to prevent that surprise death. Who doesnt close their off eye when looking through a scope?

Anyway, I understand that this is a new controller, and this sudden burst of use of the new screen may seem a bit off; however, I have no doubt if there were not companies using the screen like this people would be mocking the pointlessness of the screen altogether which they already do despite developers insisting on the potential behind it which goes far beyond what ZombiU will be using it for.