where is the online multiplayer?

#1Killeryoshi8Posted 8/19/2012 7:33:35 AM
I thought the Wii U would have better online capabilities? So far I'm missing launch titles with online multiplayer.
---
Planetside 2 ---> Free to play Massive Online Shooter
#2DonnyKDPosted 8/19/2012 8:15:01 AM
Killeryoshi8 posted...
I thought the Wii U would have better online capabilities? So far I'm missing launch titles with online multiplayer.

Implying that every single damn game should have online just because.
#3TottentanzPosted 8/19/2012 8:56:16 AM
Because that is all important?

Maybe if the devs behind Resistance3 focused more on the game and not trying to improve the multiplayer they might have actually gotten people to buy their game rather than it flopping.

The online elements of ZombiU makes sense for what it is, a survival horror game, and if they did not show off the RED function for Killer Freaks, I doubt they would have included that multiplayer mode for it because that just seems like a needless addition.

Actually having a message system within the game to share messages between friends makes sense up to a point, and it preserves the sense of this type of game. The actual icing of being notified though BOB that a survivor died, a friend, and the possible pursuit of their corpse to get some supplies and to put them out of their miseries is a nice feature.

However, just like the other thread where this has already been brought up in, this is not L4D or Dead Island, this is not a zombie shooter with some survival aspects mainly seen in limiting your supplies, and this is not DayZ where the zombies start to take the back seat to fearing other survivors. This is a survival horror game that focuses on the single player experience that has, based on dev description, a pretty open world with a few different plot lines that you can follow with a few endings depending on your choices. This game is focusing on the experience of actually playing the game rather than tacking on a game option hoping that multiplayer will keep you from trading it in or returning it.

Online multiplayer for a game like this is hardly necessary, and if it did have that feature, you would be here complaining about how it is either too much this or too little that or a copy of this or a clone of that. Even Dead Space 3 and the new Army of Two game have the sense to drop their online multiplayer because at best it just felt tacked on at worst it was a complete waste of time that such a small niche of fans enjoyed it that it was not worth bringing forward.
#4Thanatos112220Posted 8/19/2012 7:05:56 PM
Not all games will have online mutiplayer, but that's not the console fault, that is just the decision of the developers.
---
In dreams we can do anything, but in life we are limited.
#5Hawke0Posted 8/21/2012 4:33:18 AM
Sort of reminds me of people saying the WiiU plays 360/PS3 ports, therefore is only as powerful as them. The early PS3 models could play PS1 games, therefore it must be running on 90's technology.
Wait, the Army of Two game dropped multiplayer? Wasn't that it's only redeeming quality? and about Resistance 3, in games that are actually FPS' the MP is very important, and quality doesn't really effect sales.
---
Conduit 2 FC: 0562-2516-9316-name Hawke
#6TottentanzPosted 8/21/2012 11:23:04 AM
Hawke0 posted...
Sort of reminds me of people saying the WiiU plays 360/PS3 ports, therefore is only as powerful as them. The early PS3 models could play PS1 games, therefore it must be running on 90's technology.
Wait, the Army of Two game dropped multiplayer? Wasn't that it's only redeeming quality? and about Resistance 3, in games that are actually FPS' the MP is very important, and quality doesn't really effect sales.

The company driving the new Army of Two game is trying to get rid of the dudebro smell and mature the game up a bit to get it taken serious and turn it into a game that has mass appeal. Much like THQ's new president commenting on SR the Third and how that game could have been much better if it was not so childish. The Army of Two game is actually dropping quite a lot of what the fans of the series liked or drew them in, and my friend that is the 360 fan has vowed to never buy it because it is turning serious.

As for Resistance 3, in a world flooded with online modes, it is the subtle differences that catch the eye which tossing in an extra online mode or polishing up some new maps is not going to move the game that the sequel even saw a huge decline in following from the first. Going from over 4 million sold for the first game to just over 2 million for the second to just over 1 million for the the third game shows how stale and unappealing the game was to the Sony crowd considering in that same time the population climbed from a few million owners to well over 60 million owners by the time Resistance 3 hit.

If they wanted to save that franchise, like I said earlier, it might have served them more to focus on the game and getting it to become appealing more than trying to tweak the online play which is the icing on the cake.
#7Hawke0Posted 8/22/2012 2:58:25 AM
Good point, but I stand by MP being very important in an FPS, unless you make a very good campaign, like the Half Life series, or the old Chronicles of Riddick stealth/FPS game on the Xbox/PC.
---
#8Hawke0Posted 8/22/2012 3:20:40 PM
and from the launch of the PS3 to the release of R3, there were many more shooters available, as well as the fact many fans were disappointed by R2 because it added regenerating health, dropped the weapon wheel, etc.
---
#9TottentanzPosted 8/22/2012 6:29:08 PM
Hawke0 posted...
and from the launch of the PS3 to the release of R3, there were many more shooters available, as well as the fact many fans were disappointed by R2 because it added regenerating health, dropped the weapon wheel, etc.

Exactly, and what ever time they spent on improving the online could have been better spent making a game worth playing because there are so many shooters with virtually every online option imaginable. If they would have made a game that stood out from the pack, tossed in their old online setup with maybe a tweak here or there, they might have secured a fanbase again, grow a brand so to speak.

My point is simply that online is a luxury when gaming, and shooters seem to be the only ones that their substance can be sacrificed a little for the online play; however, in a world of generic shooters clogging the shelves, you better have something special that helps you stand out.

ZombiU not being a generic shooter, expecting an interactive online experience is not warranted. ZombiU is a survival horror game, and expecting it to have online modes would be like expecting the first RE to have online or Silent Hill, it just does not fit. As for the on couch multiplayer, as I have asserted earlier, it is probably only there because of RED.
#10Hawke0Posted 8/23/2012 12:45:57 AM
Well, I think Resistance's thing that differentiated itself from other shooters was the creative weapon design and old school shooter elements of it, which was ditched by 2 and brought back by 3. Changing so much with every entry would be sure to drive away fans, the old with 2 and the new with 3, and there isn't really an abundance of old school shooters this generation, with everything trying to be CoD with a new coat of paint.
But I agree that for a shooter to differentiate itself it needs a great campaign/to be different, and that ZombiU, being a survival horror game, doesn't need online MP.
And in something similar to the topic, I actually know a few people who bought ME3 just for the multiplayer without ever trying the actual game. It's just sad.
---