How thick will the hordes get?

#1butsizzlePosted 8/26/2012 9:54:29 AM
I've seen a few game play videos showing a couple zeds here and there, but I was wondering if we were going to see Dawn of the Dead or Dead Rising sized hordes...?

Any one know? Video to prove it?

Thanks!
---
"Did you just say that you respect pedophiles?" - butsizzle
"Hell yeah." - _Sawyer
#2DrRMPosted 8/26/2012 2:40:34 PM
not yet, but I don't think so, 5 zombies are enough to trap you and 1 bite kill make it hard to go on with like 50.

counting that the game wont have a mass zombie slayer weapon.

this game is all about surviving not going nut killing zombies
---
"He aqui mi secreto, que no puede ser mas simple : solo con el corazon se puede ver bien; lo esencial es invisible para los ojos."
#3Hawke0Posted 8/27/2012 1:37:16 AM
^
---
Conduit 2 FC: 0562-2516-9316-name Hawke A good description of Capcom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxmvKj3SJGw&feature=player_detailpage#t=301s
#4butsizzle(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2012 6:39:10 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of running away from a horde as opposed to killing every zombie you see.

I'm all about the survival aspect of this game, I think you two have the wrong impression of what I'm asking about.

Imagine having to post up in a room or run away from a horde because you simply do not have enough supplies to face them. Do we know if hordes will be big enough for that or not?
---
"Hell yeah." - _Sawyer
#5TottentanzPosted 8/27/2012 10:19:34 AM(edited)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCVQ3wgtCnE

Demo version here shows about 7 zombies, roughly. I am pretty sure there were not all there earlier, and the spray of gunfire might have had some wander in from the sides aka spawn.

Edit note: I do not think we will be able to see anything more than 7 or so zombies as of now being that this is still the demo phase with predominantly building based missions with almost no street view.

Getting a proper horde in the street is likely not impossible being that in one video they bring up that keeping your eye out for ladders will save your life if things get rough. Though it would seem that the best course of action is to take things slow and stay hidden which might mean that you will see more single zombies than groups unless you run-n-gun the streets.
#6DrRMPosted 8/28/2012 10:31:40 AM
Tottentanz posted...
run-n-gun the streets.

^ the beginning of a bad idea :D
---
"He aqui mi secreto, que no puede ser mas simple : solo con el corazon se puede ver bien; lo esencial es invisible para los ojos."
#7butsizzle(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2012 11:53:58 AM
Quote:Tottentanz posted...
run-n-gun the streets.

^ the beginning of a bad idea :D

@DrRM

I agree, however I wouldn't mind just having to run from the zombies. In real life (I always feel so dumb saying IRL when referring to zombie games) I'd probably run from every zombie if possible, especially if there were more than seven at a time.

Either way the game looks awesome and I might even buy a WiiU just to play this. Opening a door to 50+ zombies would be ideal for a s*** my pants scary zombie moment, but I'll take whatever they give me as long as they are shamblers.
---
"Hell yeah." - _Sawyer
#8TottentanzPosted 8/28/2012 12:50:21 PM
Just remember, the limits is not the hardware right now, it is the software.

The game engine was designed for the 360, and it does not look like Ubisoft has made much of an attempt to improve it over what the current gen can do.

It does make me chuckle when I read those daft fools on the main board criticize this game saying it is not better than what current gen can do, no duh, it was an abandoned title, Killer Freaks, for the other systems. It is not like Ubisoft has a killer engine in their service right now. At best they improved the Anvil engine for AC3, but that is still just their old engine with some polish and some new codes to render more people and weather.

This game is going to be fun, but do not look to it as any testimonial of next gen other than the game play and controls.
#9butsizzle(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2012 5:42:06 AM
^I actually prefer gameplay over sweet graphics. I'm sure they could have toned down the graphics to add a couple moments with 20-30 zombies on screen at once (not all the time, just once in awhile).

For instance, if you walked into a church and it was filled with zombies, how much fun would it be trying to avoid those zombies and scour the church for food or water or other supplies? I'd rather do that than kill every zombie I see.

I'm sure there will be plenty of moments where you don't have enough stuff to clear out a room of 6 or 7 zeds. So I'm not complaining, I just like the survival horror aspect of being completely overwhelmed by a horde and having to book it the hell out of there.
---
"Hell yeah." - _Sawyer
#10TottentanzPosted 8/29/2012 9:14:29 AM
butsizzle posted...
^I actually prefer gameplay over sweet graphics. I'm sure they could have toned down the graphics to add a couple moments with 20-30 zombies on screen at once (not all the time, just once in awhile).

For instance, if you walked into a church and it was filled with zombies, how much fun would it be trying to avoid those zombies and scour the church for food or water or other supplies? I'd rather do that than kill every zombie I see.

I'm sure there will be plenty of moments where you don't have enough stuff to clear out a room of 6 or 7 zeds. So I'm not complaining, I just like the survival horror aspect of being completely overwhelmed by a horde and having to book it the hell out of there.

I really dont think you understood what I meant fully. Game engines goes beyond graphics, and if there is a limit to the number of zombies spawned, it wont be the hardware's fault; the problem is the engine might not be capable of producing X amount because it becomes unstable and starts to have problems.

Look at the new Anvil engine, it is an upgraded version of what was used for AC2 with some improved visuals including weather graphics now, but it can now render a few thousands people rather than the numbers being in the low hundreds. The systems did not get a magical boost between AC games, the engine itself was improved, optimized, and new additional smoke and mirrors included to hide what they had to do to pull that off.

Anyway, like I was saying earlier, thus far we have only seen around 7 or so in the streets on the screen during a demo, and in the building parts, I can only recall 4-5 being seen at any one time. If that is the limit, it might be just the demo, the limit of the software, a design preference, or a difficulty setting and nothing more.

There is another thread bringing up a blip of a description of the game called "horde at your door" which that may be a mode, game description, or some other thing that was just put up to grab attention. I have no clue right now what that is supposed to be about.

In any case, the preference of game play over graphics is a noble pursuit, but insisting on a horde to be in a zombie game might be a preference of aesthetic over practicality. We have no idea why anything is the way it is yet because all we have seen are demos, and the devs have not really explained everything in the game though I have read that they are still going to the Nintendo Experiences and asking gamers their opinion on the game because it is not finished yet.

Thus we have the big mystery box that we just cant reach yet, and we will have to wait to get our answers.

PS: On a side note, in alignment with your statement of game play over graphics, I would rather deal with a few zombies with terrific AI with actual visible damage when struck or shot with decent physics over a swarm that take no real damage in the torso when shot with bad AI that makes them stand around and do nothing at times when a person is right in front of them, or throwing wrenches.