Need some input; thinking about buying the WiiU for this game.

#1DocDeliciousPosted 10/25/2012 3:36:27 PM
So, I'm somewhat of a zombie "aficionado". I own nearly every zombie game ever made in one form or another.
At first this game didn't really appeal to me but I've been looking into it and it's growing on me more and more. My first impression was that this was basically going to be a "child's" zombie game. It looked pretty easy, no real depth to the combat, with a fairly linear story progression although they were touting it as being "open-world".
However, I watched a video recently that likened the experience and storytelling to that of the Souls series (of which I am a huge fan) and I gotta say...it piqued my interest.

So, long story short, I'm thinking about buying a WiiU specifically for this game (and possibly MH TriUltimate although it seems like an even easier version of Tri). Thoughts? Opinions? Good idea? Bad idea?
I'm literally not at all interested in any of the other games announced for this system as of yet but if this game is a decent enough experience (something I could potentially waste a hundred plus hours on) then I might just pull the trigger.
I'm mainly interested in the singleplayer portion and possibly the Survival mode. The whole PvP and Zombie Master stuff isn't really my bag.
Essentially what could be the "make or break" factor is how open the game is. Does the story follow some kind of mission progression or am I plunked into London and left to my own devices? If it's the latter I can see myself spending a great deal of time just exploring and hoarding supplies. If it's the former then the $300ish bucks just doesn't seem worth it and I'd probably be better off building a decent PC and waiting for WarZ or the DayZ standalone release to get my "realistic open-world zombie apocalypse survival scenario" fix.
---
Playing - Demon's/Dark Souls, Monster Hunter FU, Resonance of Fate, Devil May Cry HD Col, Dishonored, Katamari Forever, Resident Evil 6
PSN: DocDelicious
#2DropOut_NW260Posted 10/25/2012 4:07:57 PM
All reviewers that I've seen write about this game says its basically the "dark soul" of zombie game. This means its "hard." On top of that, those same reviewers say its as close to true survival horror as we can get these days so that's def another plus.

If you are a true die hard zombie fan you will get this game no matter how easy you ASSUME it to be. Also, if this game sells well (and its looking that way) I guarantee you Ubisoft will make a sequel. Just like they did with Red Steel (wii's Ubisoft launch game).
#3DocDelicious(Topic Creator)Posted 10/25/2012 4:45:13 PM
The game being easy isn't the problem. If you read my post then you would see that that impression was reversed with a single video.

My issue is whether or not this is a true open-world game or not. If I can completely ignore the storyline and just explore/gather supplies at my leisure then it's definitely a must buy. If I'm shoe-horned into following a sequence of events or missions then there are other titles out there that more closely fit what I'm looking for. Namely, WarZ and the standalone DayZ release.

No need to be so hostile.
---
Playing - Demon's/Dark Souls, Monster Hunter FU, Resonance of Fate, Devil May Cry HD Col, Dishonored, Katamari Forever, Resident Evil 6
#4Hawke0Posted 10/25/2012 5:16:40 PM
I could be wrong, but I think it's semi-open, like, say, Dishonored, where you have multiple ways to do something, but the story unfolds in a linear progression.

I heard that you can find survivors living by themselves throughout the city and there's also a leaderboard for whoever keeps a survivor alive the longest, and these point to a fairly open city, so you could probably just wander around. We'll have to wait and see to be sure. That, or we can have Tottentanz, the ZombiU expert, explain everything.
---
Conduit 2 FC: 0562-2516-9316 Hawke ___ the best easter egg ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Pt4-9RgJo&feature=related
#5DropOut_NW260Posted 10/25/2012 8:43:38 PM
DocDelicious posted...
The game being easy isn't the problem. If you read my post then you would see that that impression was reversed with a single video.

My issue is whether or not this is a true open-world game or not. If I can completely ignore the storyline and just explore/gather supplies at my leisure then it's definitely a must buy. If I'm shoe-horned into following a sequence of events or missions then there are other titles out there that more closely fit what I'm looking for. Namely, WarZ and the standalone DayZ release.

No need to be so hostile.

I wasn't trying to be hostile, it just may have come off that way. That's my fault.

DayZ was originally a mod. Why compare a full on console game to a mod for a computer game? The ZombU world isn't as open as GTA but def not as linear as FF13. It's in between. As for the story, I'm 99.99% sure you must follow it in order to do everything there is to do in the game. Afterall, this is a REAL game and not a mod.

Maybe you should go to you local GS or BestBuy and test ZombiU out before you drop a ton of cash. It's a demo but it should let u see what you may or may not buy.
#6TottentanzPosted 10/26/2012 8:07:31 AM
MH 3 Ultimate, easier than Tri? I havent heard that, and there is quite a bit more content than Tri which is why it is worth the buy.

As for this game, watch the videos and if the game play does not appeal to you then dont buy it.

There is already plenty of content on this board from first hand knowledge to even a recent posting of the very beginning of the game to help guide you to this decision.

I appreciate that you brought up the only zombie game, DayZ, that seems to come close to this game, but as you must know by now, this game is not going to be a run-n-gun game like many of the other zombie games on console.
#7DocDelicious(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2012 5:06:07 PM
Tottentanz posted...
I appreciate that you brought up the only zombie game, DayZ, that seems to come close to this game, but as you must know by now, this game is not going to be a run-n-gun game like many of the other zombie games on console.

I realize it's not a run-and-gun shooter like a lot of games out there but I honestly cannot tell what the world/level layout is like. I have read through almost every post on this board and watched tons of videos but the only things I've seen/heard have been small snippets of a single level or part of a level.
If you know of a video/topic that shows how the world is laid out and how the storyline progresses please share it with me. I'm pretty conflicted on this matter. $300 is quite a bit just to play one game...but if it's a really great game then it's worth it IMO.

Idk...maybe I'll just have to wait until it's released to get the details I'm looking for.

Even of the game is only partially "open-world" (like Dark Souls where you can wander as you please but certain things are required to progress) that's fine with me. I just don't want to drop all that money on the WiiU only to find out that it's a mission-based "point A > B > C >...End of Game" type of storyline.
---
#8robirminghamPosted 10/26/2012 5:17:07 PM
This game is definitely one of the major draws for the Wii U. If it's what will push you over the edge to buy the system, I say go for it.

Like others have said, there is a strong chance this game could have a sequel, not to mention any DLC that might come later on. Plus, you'll be able to get any Wii U exclusive, and have a system with a full lifespan ahead of it.
---
www.flydrs.com
https://www.facebook.com/theflydrs
#9DocDelicious(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2012 5:40:44 PM
robirmingham posted...
Plus, you'll be able to get any Wii U exclusive, and have a system with a full lifespan ahead of it.

True...I mean between ZombiU, Bayonetta 2, MH3U, Ninja Gaiden 3, Pikimin 3, Wonderful 101 and whatever else I guess there is enough incentive.
I still have my PS3 to fall back on and in a couple years here I'll have an Orbis as well...not to mention all the older systems I've got.

I guess I'll just save part of my next paycheck and pull the trigger. I mean, worst case scenario? I have another "Gamecube" (so-to-speak) that I only use for a couple games.
---
#10TottentanzPosted 10/26/2012 7:32:00 PM
I dont know if you read everything that has been stated if you are worrying about it being a A>B>C game.

The handler you first deal with gets you into the game, but Ubisoft has already revealed at least one more handler from the the Ravens of Dee that you can choose to listen to in order to get out of London instead of the first guy.

They have mentioned that there are multiple endings, loot to discover for weapon mods, hidden bits of news and lore, and they have hinted but not outright said that it was fully open world.

The world itself, it might be semi similar to how newer Bethesda games work except maybe less open world. That you explore and establish fast travel points using the sewers, but that is about all I can think of for now that I can say is for sure.

I honestly dont know how open the world is going to be.