The Gamespot review had it right about the bat...

#1n0matterPosted 11/18/2012 10:42:58 PM
Seriously, after about two hours you just don't want to touch it anymore. It's like the knife in the RE series. It's there and it makes sense but you never really have to use it. Sometimes monotony is ok but not in this genre.
---
76.322 to 70.744 is a 70% drop. - Sailor Goon
#2Amplifier316Posted 11/18/2012 11:23:44 PM
Yeah. While I'm really enjoying the game, I agree the cricket bat is just ridiculous. Having to swing 3 -4 times (if you land the "finish them" blow) for every walker is crazy (the swat armor guys... Forget it). It just seems like such a cheap tactic for them to use to make the game seem more "difficult" when all it does it make it more tedious. I'm loving the dark souls-esque game mechanic, and the presentation. Honestly though i'm beginning to have a hard time not letting the cricket bat spoil the game for me.
---

#3hustlin_pimpstePosted 11/18/2012 11:37:51 PM
Ok, answer me this please .. is the cricket bat the only melee weapon or are there more? This is frickin London, you can find every melee weapon ever used at the War Museum and many old antique shops carrying other stuff.
---
Make adorable new, demon friends ... grr snarl
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672441-shin-megami-tensei-iv/64267041 Don't worry .. it's Official!
#4NinjaGamer_23Posted 11/18/2012 11:41:17 PM
Look, it's a weapon, deal with it. The developers thought it through.

If you keep your charcter alive long enough to uise the weapons you get, you can level them up and be more powerful.
#5nonexistingheroPosted 11/18/2012 11:45:30 PM
hustlin_pimpste posted...
Ok, answer me this please .. is the cricket bat the only melee weapon or are there more? This is frickin London, you can find every melee weapon ever used at the War Museum and many old antique shops carrying other stuff.

It's the only melee weapon. Anyhow, I do think it's fine for the enemies to last that long. Since there's no way to take on multiple this way.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#6hustlin_pimpstePosted 11/18/2012 11:49:32 PM
nonexistinghero posted...
hustlin_pimpste posted...

It's the only melee weapon. Anyhow, I do think it's fine for the enemies to last that long. Since there's no way to take on multiple this way.

Hmm that is pretty depressing right there. I was hoping there were at least a few different types of weapon so you could pick a style to suit you. Dagger for speed, spear-like for keeping them at bay and pushing, crowbar for durability, swords and machetes, etc.

Trust me, I lived in London for 2 years, there are many places you can get stuff like that without even trying. Such a shame to limit us to one weapon. Going to wait on a lot more reviews and videos, but atm I may just hold off on my pre-order and wait until the Wii U drops in price as the launch line-up holds nothing I wanted except this game.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672441-shin-megami-tensei-iv/64267041 Don't worry .. it's Official!
#7Amplifier316Posted 11/19/2012 12:29:11 AM
NinjaGamer_23 posted...
If you keep your charcter alive long enough to uise the weapons you get, you can level them up and be more powerful.

Obviously those of us that are the playing the game ARE "dealing with it." That's hardly the point. About the weapon skill leveling up. That only applies to firearms. That solves nothing for the MAIN weapon you use through the game. The cricket bat.

I agree that they thought the cricket bat through. As a way to cheaply add "challenge" to the game. One swing you expose the walkers brain, and then some how it takes another 3-4 shots to destroyed said brain? Come on.
---

#8butsizzlePosted 11/19/2012 8:43:57 AM
Quote:Look, it's a weapon, deal with it. The developers thought it through.

@NinjaGamer_23

You can level up a cricket bat? I thought this game was taking a more realistic approach?

I don't know, games are expensive and I'm having a hard time going through with buying nearly $400 dollars worth of toys to play something that a considerable amount a game reviewers consider to be "not that bad".
---
"Did you just say that you respect pedophiles?" - butsizzle
"Hell yeah." - _Sawyer
#9hustlin_pimpstePosted 11/19/2012 8:48:37 AM
A game like this with rare ammo and they only give you one melee option? Sadly, that is just lame and lazy at the same time. Dead Island may be considered crap by some - not me, it's a fun game - but man it has loads of options for melee and ballistic weaponry.
---
#10mcsmellingtonPosted 11/19/2012 9:17:02 AM
I like pretty much everything I've seen in videos except for the repetitive melee combat. For starters it feels like they picked the cricket bat because it's 'quintessentially British', when really you're far more likely to find household objects as weapons. A cricket bat isn't what I'd call a relatively easy to find weapon. Secondly, is there only overhead swing and push? Because that's so lazy by the developers in that case.
---
GT: McPoo