No digital release planned for this... question.

#1CycknessPosted 9/13/2013 8:36:54 AM
What would make someone NOT want to release their game for digital sale?

I'm not asking this out of pure frustration (though there is some of that) but I'm genuinely curious. From a business standpoint, what is lost by allowing gamers the option of buying the game electronically and downloading it right away?

Games published directly under Sony (Killzone series, Resistance series) are famous for not having digital releases and I never understood why.
---
PSN: FuriousGeorge3
"The ice man cometh, Sander Baby... The ice man ******* cometh"
#2scm60Posted 9/13/2013 10:44:46 AM
My question is why buy digitally instead of disk? The only games I download are PSN games or Playstation Plus. Otherwise I always buy disk. Two main reasons -- I can trade it in and get credit towards a new game and I have 2 PS3's -- one's an old FAT 60MB and I have no room for most downloads. I may be old fashioned but I prefer having a physical disk that I can share or trade.
---
Been playing video games for over 30 years. That's right -- that's before most of you were even born. Doesn't make me special -- just old.
#3porhawjPosted 9/14/2013 7:13:48 PM
digital versions is awesome to buy instead disc.. watch out for your blu-ray drive going die anytime.. digital versions help you to avoid using disc often and buy new blu-ray drive to replace dead one .. i alway buy digital versions on any games no matter what .. i don't care about disc.. i hate getting ripped off after trade games in for other games.. if i love games so far then why would i trade them in and rebuy them again ?
#4gmoshierPosted 9/15/2013 1:16:01 AM
Maybe Sony is comparing their sales for disc and digital. Perhaps disc is more popular? I always buy disc over digital because I prefer to have a physical copy of a game.
---
Must buy Beyond: Two Souls and Batman: Arkham Origins!
http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/4/gmoshier.png
#5KicksgoodPosted 9/18/2013 7:23:18 AM
It's a possibility...

http://www.dlcentral.com/ps3/ps3news/beyond-two-souls-sony-looking-into-digital-version-demo-coming-soon/
#6XyexPosted 9/19/2013 10:56:23 PM
I don't yet have my PS3 (next month!), but i'll still chime in here. I hate digital. I don't even plan on any DLC that's not included on the discs I buy. I *want* the physical copy of... whatever it is. Games, movies, music, anything. There's even *less* ownership of digital media than there is of physical. (Legally speaking, you don't own that game code you just downloaded/purchased. It's IP and it belongs to the developer. You just bought permission to use it.)

At least with physical I own the disc the game is on. I can do what I want it. Trade it, sell, etc.

porhawj posted...
digital versions is awesome to buy instead disc.. watch out for your blu-ray drive going die anytime.. digital versions help you to avoid using disc often and buy new blu-ray drive to replace dead one .. i alway buy digital versions on any games no matter what .. i don't care about disc.. i hate getting ripped off after trade games in for other games.. if i love games so far then why would i trade them in and rebuy them again ?

Blu-ray drives are not that fragile. There are plenty of first release PS3s still out there chugging away without any replacements of any hardware (well, except maybe for HDD upgrades). Watch out for you HDD to crash, or your game to get corrupted. Server space isn't infinite out there, eventually the content wont be on-line for replacing it, and then you'll be SoL.

And two last points. First, on being ripped off on trade-ins. I agree partly with that. Places like Gamestop DO underpay for the games they buy back. But they're only one option, and the worst of them. Other places offer much better deals. Many second hand shops will do a 2-for-1 trade of like items. IE, 2 PS3 titles you no longer want for 1 you do. And you can often score good deals with this. I've done it a lot with PS2 games, and frequently done it with cheap games (like, <$5.00 at Gamestop) to get much better games (>$20.00 at Gamestop). Then you have options like Cashforgamers.com which pays reasonable money for your games (and really good money for the really rare crap from older systems). And of course, there's Listia, where you can basically trade your game for just about anything else under the sun.

As for the last point, why trade in games you love and rebuy them? Who said anything about that? I've traded/sold/exchanged a *lot* of games, largely because I *didn't* love them. Yes, occasionally I had a change of heart down the line and had to re-purchase the game. But for the most part, good riddance, and I got some of my cash back (or a much better product). Can't do that with digital. You buy it, you don't like it, you're SoL.
---
DESTROY IT ALL
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4ck_rjyRNIY
#7drclaeysPosted 9/20/2013 4:02:29 AM
Friends,

this game has alot of movies, or they look like movies. Maybe because it has so many movie type parts, the download was HUGE?? it just seemed like they would get grief for a huge download. so it was not worth it.

Maybe in a while, it will come out that way. many games become download after awhile.

Good luck. I still am old school, and what the physical disk.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan
Now playing: Oblivion, Dragons Dogma: DA PSN: DrClaeys | Vica | 125 Mage
#8Cyckness(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 8:30:47 AM(edited)
Only like one of you ventured to answer the question.

I wasn't saying that digital was better than physical disc or vice versa. I wasn't asking which you prefer and why. I was really only trying to find out why both wouldn't be made available in an age where such things are possible.

And as for the question of why one wouldn't buy a physical copy of Beyond Two Souls... broken disc lens, problems with BR drive, etc. My PS3 wasn't running blu-rays at the time I asked this question.
---
PSN: FuriousGeorge3
"The ice man cometh, Sander Baby... The ice man ******* cometh"
#9joeevilPosted 9/23/2013 3:07:49 AM
If it's not digital than its a pass for me,just like kingdom hearts
#10Luiz_AMNPosted 9/23/2013 12:41:24 PM
Omg, the same for me! Games here are overpriced and sometimes it's impossible to find some games. I REALLY wanted KH1.5 and Two Souls, but no digital no buy.