Several reasons why I think Battlequest has better sword controls than SS

#1X2SBPosted 11/21/2012 2:18:30 PM
Please keep in mind that I am comparing just the BASE SWORD MECHANICS of both games, nothing more.

- It is just overall more precise: It is better at determining what a strike is, and what is just you moving your hand into position

- Not only does it discourage pointless waggling, it outright denies it. You start waggling and it wonít register it as a sword strike and just sits you there hopelessly flipping your sword around.

- The enemies that attempt to block your attacks donít predict your strike a millisecond before it hits and change it last second. This (for me, at least) seemed to be a big problem in Skyward Sword.

- You can slice in more than just 8 directions when locked on. In skyward sword, you can strike in any direction at will, but once you lock on, it locks you into 8 directions.

-The actual striking doesnít lock to the center. You can bring your sword up and bring it down to your right side and your Mii Link (Liink? Heh) will do the same. Attempt that in skyward sword and he will do a top to bottom strike in front of him.

-They also added in a re-centering button, which skyward sword didnít have.

That is pretty much it, but I feel like I have to mention the lack of stabbing. I remember a lot of complaints in skyward sword and I do remember the delay from the stabbing motion you do to the actual stab in skyward sword and I have to say they took it out because of this. That being said they designed all the enemies and bad guys around this and you never have a moment where you attempt a stabbing motion, except maybe those eyeball enemies for the first few seconds.

Also, I get the feeling these improvements were made for the next zelda game and they just brought it in this mini game as well, if they decided to use motion plus at all. But that is another topic for another time.

I feel like I need to repeat that I am not ragging on skyward sword or comparing anything other than their sword mechanics. They took something they made and improved upon it. Just like any game mechanic.
---
Switch JRPGs with Shooters, and I'm sure that's what they're saying about us.
#2TAoRPosted 11/21/2012 3:15:31 PM
I dunno man, I was able to waggle win pretty easily
---
Oh, oh, oh ice-cold milk and an oreo cookie...
#3X2SB(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2012 3:55:27 PM
TAoR posted...

Really? You can slash quickly, but if you flail it fails to register, at least for me.

And you get stunned every time you hit a shield, amirite?
---
#4pikmintaroPosted 11/21/2012 4:25:46 PM
- The enemies that attempt to block your attacks donít predict your strike a millisecond before it hits and change it last second. This (for me, at least) seemed to be a big problem in Skyward Sword.

YES THIS!!! THIS THIS THIS!!!!

This is what really annoyed me about Skyward Sword, I love the game, but why do the enemies have a sixth sense that lets them no to instantly change where they are blocking a moment before you strike!? it was so annoying! I can understand if it's Ghirahim, but why are the pig guys so adept at sword fighting also? it's especially annoying with the electrified ones like Nintendo was just trying to get rid of as many hearts as possible!
---
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
#5-Jester-Masque-Posted 11/21/2012 4:33:29 PM
I absolutely love Skyward Sword, but I can see why the sword controls in this and Wii Sports Resort feel better, in some ways.

Fighting enemies in Skyward Sword is different than you expect it to be. I've figured out that they don't want you to hold still and then slice in the direction that the enemy has left open to attack. Instead, it seems like you're supposed to kind of slowly move your sword around a bit and watch how the enemy changes position to guard. Before long, the enemy's reaction will be delayed and that's when you're supposed to swing. It's weird, and it's probably not ideal, but that's how you can avoid having the enemy block your swing in the blink of an eye.

One quick correction: Skyward Sword actually did feature the same re-centering button that Battle Quest and Wii Sports Resort sword fighting had.

Moving the sword around in Battle Quest/Wii Sports Resort is much smoother feeling because your movement isn't restricted by your character's limbs; he/she doesn't have any! You can move the sword around in all kinds of awkward ways that would look really goofy in a proper Zelda game. I don't know if there will ever be a solution to this problem.

As I said, Skyward Sword was a lot of fun for me, especially once I started to get good at it. I really hope that the next Zelda game will also be built around MotionPlus sword fighting so that they can improve upon what they did in SS. I would be 100% fine with using the gamepad for maps, some new secondary function, or simply not at all. I feel the same way about Pikmin, actually.
#6X2SB(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2012 7:28:24 PM
You cant recenter the sword, aiming yeah, but not the sword, you either have to recalibrate the wii remote or put it upside down on a flat surface for a few seconds, or just try to power through it and hope it fixes itself

And the arm thing is a good point but they could definately make it smoother in SS alusing simple inverse kinematics.
---
#7TAoRPosted 11/22/2012 11:46:07 AM
X2SB posted...
TAoR posted...

Really? You can slash quickly, but if you flail it fails to register, at least for me.

I'm not just herpaderp flailing, I'm waggling hardcore man. Just rapidly swinging left and right. But yeah hitting a shield stuns you, though I have yet to be unable to get my shield up before an enemy can attack me after that.
---
Oh, oh, oh ice-cold milk and an oreo cookie...
#8X2SB(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 4:59:26 PM
TAoR posted...
X2SB posted...
TAoR posted...

I'm not just herpaderp flailing, I'm waggling hardcore man. Just rapidly swinging left and right. But yeah hitting a shield stuns you, though I have yet to be unable to get my shield up before an enemy can attack me after that.

Its happened to me a few times
---
#9P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 11/22/2012 5:19:52 PM
pikmintaro posted...

YES THIS!!! THIS THIS THIS!!!!

This is what really annoyed me about Skyward Sword, I love the game, but why do the enemies have a sixth sense that lets them no to instantly change where they are blocking a moment before you strike!? it was so annoying! I can understand if it's Ghirahim, but why are the pig guys so adept at sword fighting also? it's especially annoying with the electrified ones like Nintendo was just trying to get rid of as many hearts as possible!

Funny thing is, I did that to them. I would position myself for a slash either horizontally or vertically, and after they go to block it I would change my mind and unleash rage in the opposite direction.

Good times, man. Good times.
---
Currently Playing: Shenmue2, NSMB2
http://youtu.be/X21mJh6j9i4