So from what I understand...

#1PirateHunter99Posted 8/1/2014 12:04:18 PM
This game is good, but not as good as other games which are REALLY good. That makes this game sound pretty good.
---
PSN: PiraTe_HuNTer99
A jack of all trades, but a master of none, is certainly better than a master of one.
#2snake7307Posted 8/1/2014 12:33:39 PM
It's better than that. People who say it's only good are bad at the game.
#3PirateHunter99(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2014 2:07:12 AM
snake7307 posted...
It's better than that. People who say it's only good are bad at the game.

Well after 3 hours of playing, I learned that I'm bad at the game lol. So I'd like to ask for assistance.
Am I better off using the stylus or analog stick to draw?
How do I get good, as vague as that sounds?
---
A jack of all trades, but a master of none, is certainly better than a master of one.
#4thelastgogetaPosted 8/2/2014 10:35:31 AM
PirateHunter99 posted...
Am I better off using the stylus or analog stick to draw?

Analog stick. You can reach that and the buttons easily to begin with and you have probably gotten used to reaching the right analog stick to arrange a camera then pressing the face buttons in countless games.

There are players who are really good and ONLY use the touch screen to the point of using skills much faster than myself, but you just want to "git gud" not legendary after suffering whatever trials this fellow went through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgf9siZOnS4

He has more impressive stuff (and things not in videos) but I'm trying to avoid spoilers if you are only 3 hours through. >_>

PirateHunter99 posted...

How do I get good, as vague as that sounds?

Play more? >_>
I could drop some Saur videos here like this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbCOGQCF6GO0HsY1zfxStGA1Ou-7Fj6AN

The point is that you need to learn enemy cues to avoid attacks, what points can you deflect or use a certain morph to punish foes big time and so on. Players don't expect good grades in their first run and can expect to keep learning in future runs before they get more attacks and weapons.

I recommend using:

1) Gun or Team Attack - They act as a lock on function so you can chase a specific foe or send...
2) Multi Morphs - Accessible with the X button function confirming a morph instead of A.
3) Cancelling - The Y button cancels morphs which can give you some speed (on that note, get Wonder Beer to hold Unite Hand - anyone leveling up helps the team and he runs faster with a morph out) or even stop your morph from breaking on impact with blocking enemies.
4) Guts - You can deflect most blunt hits with a small army.
5) Spring - The invincibility frames on the dodge are incredibly valuable.

I can give more information, but I would need to know what your problem is.
"How do I combo?" would be incredibly vague still as I don't know what skills your characters have but I could say more to that as well.
---
Get EX Troopers Localised on PS3 + 3DS: capcom-unity.com/capcom_games_discussion/go/thread/view/7341/30030505
Get The Wonderful 101!
#5PirateHunter99(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2014 12:36:52 PM(edited)
Thanks gogeta, on this and One Piece lol. As time goes on I'll learn the specifics of what I want to know but as of right now I'll stick with the little tips you've given me.

When it comes to buying stuff, should I be buying new morphs mostly? Or liner upgrades and other things? Or is it just personal preference?
---
#6thelastgogetaPosted 8/2/2014 2:20:52 PM
No problem, there is a skill I figured out which I call Magic Morphs as well which I detailed in this thread: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/673081-the-wonderful-101/69410089

The gist of it is that you can do tons of damage in a short time by either:
1) Have a Unite Hand of your biggest size which will never shrink if you follow the rules while and after a Multi Morph Hand goes to work.
2) Have a Unite almost anything else of the biggest size for a little longer while another morph goes to work.

The game ignores the cap on characters when you use this skill so you could have a 2 100 Man Morphs out while only having 100 people.

PirateHunter99 posted...
When it comes to buying stuff, should I be buying new morphs mostly? Or liner upgrades and other things? Or is it just personal preference?

A mix of everything. Items can be helpful even in mid battle (though some will lower your grade if used - they tell you which ones) and some skills and morphs have disadvantages (the game lets you turn them off but not get your money back :P).

Attack Liner + Energy Converter is almost broken as it makes your liner hurt foes and stacks with the converter which turns energy gained from hits into health but makes for more natural pacing of a battle than holding the down d-pad input to use an item or pausing to use an item.

It is worth picking things up and trying them on earlier levels or Wonderful Missions which don't let you use all of the skills (the equip ones where you have to go to the menu) and are pretty darn tough without the slow-down but good practice for what will come soon. On which Wonderful Missions to play? Easy 1 and Easy 2 seem like a good match, they don't spoil all of the locations and enemies but it is better to meet things in the story naturally since the story usually gives you a one vs one to get to know a foe...

Spring will get an offensive upgrade later on which sounds good on paper being able to dodge and attack at once with invincibility frames on activation, but with tough foes which block they will break the morph often and scatter your whole force if used in close quarters.
---
Get EX Troopers Localised on PS3 + 3DS: capcom-unity.com/capcom_games_discussion/go/thread/view/7341/30030505
Get The Wonderful 101!
#7Soniv4Ever10Posted 8/2/2014 2:28:20 PM
PirateHunter99 posted...

The most important things are custom blocks, but as far as an overall shopping list goes I'd rank things like this.

Buy ASAP Tier
----------------
Unite Guts and Unite Spring - Might as well be mandatory.
Speed Charge - Might as well be mandatory.

Dodge Mine - It's always useful, but you get the most out of it in early playthroughs. When you fight dough goos (small infantry) and chewdough goos (slightly bigger infantry) you can recruit them after damaging them enough. When you deal enough damage (without killing them) a purple light will shine off of them and if you circle them with the wonder liner before they explode, you recruit them to your team. The dodge mine knocks out the small dough goos instantly so you can just recruit them straight away, and it's good for making sure you deal the right amount of damage to a chewdough goo instead of killing it. By doing this to all of the infantry you can build up your team very quickly at the beginning of an operation.

Unite Charge - It's much more convenient than redrawing a shape every time you want a bigger weapon.

Hero Time - Very good, it's almost like a crutch when you get better at the game, but it's useful for giving you some breathing room whenever you need it.

Buy Me Later Tier
--------
Ukemi
Hero Counter
Energy Converter
Unite Ball
Unite Rocket
Unite Camp
Attack Liner
Treasure Sensor
Formation Charge
Unite Spikes
*Double Power

The first three are custom blocks that you'll get a lot out of when you get better. They're essential when playing on higher difficulty levels or going for high ranks, attack liner is in a similar boat. Unite Ball, Rocket, and Treasure Sensor will help you find some secrets.

* Double Power specifically is something that I only really needed to use twice in very specific parts of the game to get pure platinums. It was necessary, but outside of that it's not that important

Beginners Trap Tier
------------------------
Auto Guts
Healing Guts
Safe Guard
* Hero Sense

The first 3 might as well not exist because they aren't going to help you get any better.

* Hero Sense is something other people will vouch for but personally I don't recommend it. It activates automatically and uses up a decent chunk of your energy meter. It also screws with Unite Guts timing. Stick to Hero Time since they do the same thing and that at least teaches you how to dodge properly, this one isn't going to do you many favors in the long run.

Some of these blocks are probably expensive and that brings me to another thing. The little items you collect (space carrots,peppers, and eggplants) can be mixed together to form other items. When you have 30 of each you can mix them to make a credit card that lets you by any 1 item from the shop for free. DO NOT DO THIS. Beating the game once opens a long list of in game achievements, you unlock secret characters by completing those. One of them requires you to Unite Mix and craft 100 items. If you wasted all of your ingredients on making credit cards throughout the game it will be a long grind to finish that achievement so just make small items like soups and cakes instead (even if you don't use them), trust me you'll thank me later.

Combo Video Tier
----------
Drill Spring
Spike Ball
Blade Glider

Down here because you probably won't see them anywhere else.

That's about it, if I forgot anything it's because it isn't that important
---
"Never forget that people are very willing to give their opinion on things they know nothing about."
#8SBK91Posted 8/2/2014 2:38:33 PM
They're essential when playing on higher difficulty levels or going for high ranks,

I've never used Hero Counter and PPed the majority of 101%.

Combo Video Tier
----------
Drill Spring
Spike Ball
Blade Glider

Drill Spring is quite useful, it lets your dodge be broken by Morph breaking armor but deals good damage while keeping you invincible.
#9thelastgogetaPosted 8/2/2014 2:45:05 PM
A lot of advice on things that I didn't even know as usual. >_>
Nearly avoided all Custom Blocks for a whole run, but I'll agree that Hero Time can be a very nice crutch even I personally feel it is excessive given how the enemies don't get "aggressive" till the next difficulty... then the next one after that which takes away your time manipulation while drawing.

I think Energy Converter and Attack Liner should be in the Buy ASAP Tier just from how much it can help with gaining small amounts of health and energy when separated. I sort of used Attack Liner in the place for Dodge Mine for my runs so far as well to damage Dough Goos with small amounts of damage as well, even if I can see how it isn't nearly as effective.
---
Get The Wonderful 101!
#10Soniv4Ever10Posted 8/2/2014 6:11:41 PM
SBK91 posted...

I've never used Hero Counter and PPed the majority of 101%.

I pure platinumed all of it and I could probably count the number of times I used it on one hand (most of those being accidental). It's only really a necessity when you choose to make things harder instead of using any and everything at your disposal. It's still extremely useful, even if it isn't essential. You can take on a lot more at once while using it and make your defense twice as strong.

Drill Spring is quite useful, it lets your dodge be broken by Morph breaking armor but deals good damage while keeping you invincible.

Dodge Mine does damage too, without the draw back. Making your morph shatter as soon as you touch armor defeats the purpose since it's suppose to be an evasive move. If I want to deal damage and kill something I have weapons for that.
---
"Never forget that people are very willing to give their opinion on things they know nothing about."