The damage minimum on operation 008-C is killing me

#1UbberDevilPosted 8/6/2014 1:13:33 AM
I'm currently trying to Platinum all of Normal mode and this seems to be a roadblock. I get platinum for time and combo points but I get too damaged during the punchout segment. I know the tells but the stupid assists he likes to do end up getting me. Plus I get hit by his backhand because I think he's doing the kick. I don't know why they were so stingy with the save points during bosses. I mean I have to go through 10 min of fighting just to get to the boss and if I mess up there then I have to do the whole thing over.

I also don't get how the star system works; sometimes I get all 3 almost immediately, other times none at all. I know I'm supposed to hit him high when he does hooks and hit him in the body when he does straights but oftentimes he'll only take three hits before blocking. Then even when I have him dizzied and start pummeling him I'm not awarded a star at all.
---
Q- if Satan is the prince of darkness, who's the king?
A- UbberDevil, and Sparda is my Queen. GT: MongooseDave2
#2thelastgogetaPosted 8/6/2014 4:43:08 AM
I haven't gone in my Platinum run yet, but I know that and the final escape in the last operation (only place where I continue in the whole game) is going to be the biggest roadblock for me.

Given that they were generous enough to let us continue five times, a few save spots or the ability to skip more portions would have been nice.
---
Get EX Troopers Localised on PS3 + 3DS: capcom-unity.com/capcom_games_discussion/go/thread/view/7341/30030505
Get The Wonderful 101!
#3UbberDevil(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 10:43:01 PM
several more tries later and still no luck. I can do the parts up until the boss in my sleep now. But then I get hit twice by the boss and I can kiss the trophy goodbye. Why are the boss levels so damn unforgiving? They take a lot of time, there are no checkpoints, and have a low curve for damage ranking...F*** me!
---
#4UbberDevil(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2014 12:27:14 AM
I did it; yay for me! My heart hasn't started pounding during a game since trying to S-rank Devil May Cry on DMD! mode. Just 3 more levels and it's done.
---
#5UbberDevil(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2014 12:22:42 PM
Welp, that's it; I did it. Now to move on to my first Hard mode playthrough.
---
#6ZeroX07Posted 8/20/2014 7:26:24 PM
Hey. I wanna know how to beat this boss! Idk what to do to get plat in this mission!
#7SBK91Posted 8/20/2014 9:27:24 PM
>Zero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMttMxdsFHE&t=44m20s

Read the write up, it goes over all his attacks and how many times you should counter punch.
#8ZeroX07Posted 8/21/2014 7:59:22 PM
*throws a chair and screams profanities*

I keep getting gold! Gold! What? I cant be hit!?

******* ***** PLATINUM GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!
#9thelastgogetaPosted 8/23/2014 2:48:27 PM
Recently (week or two ago) got through 008-C on 101% Hard (Silver only) after a lot of retries, I feel like I didn't fully understand this thread till I faced either wanting to get a Platinum or facing the first boss in a long time that I can't even clear in a first go.

UbberDevil posted...
They take a lot of time, there are no checkpoints, and have a low curve for damage ranking...F*** me!

All boss battles have that fault, but 008-C and 009-C are especially poor for that.

With 008-C, all of the posts here touch on the challenge aside from the 10-20 minutes going through fairly standard combat after a flight sequence which is nearly impossible to lose or take damage on even on 101% Hard (I don't think the damage or attacks are scaled here). Gimme has one QTE which can one hit kill you and is likely to activate after you knock him down once and make an effort charging energy for the laser, since most QTEs never kill you even boss ones, it can come and kill a slacker. If you skip the following cutscene, you get little time to respond or read his first attack afterwards.

It may just be me, but 009-C wasn't anything special except the escape sequence which I can only beat with one continue even if damage doesn't seem adjusted between Normal and Hard (haven't played it in 101% Hard). The amount of less interesting combat and sequences I have to go through to catch up really takes away from the experience.
---
Get EX Troopers Localised on PS3 + 3DS: capcom-unity.com/capcom_games_discussion/go/thread/view/7341/30030505
Get The Wonderful 101!
#10SBK91Posted 8/23/2014 8:23:47 PM
Gimme has one QTE which can one hit kill you

The corkscrew punch is also an instant kill on 101%.

008-C was much easier than I anticipated. That one Kahkoo is good practice for Gimme (who's less dangerous after the QTE when he starts using highly telegraphed and punishable attacks, IMO). The flight section is simple and you only have to do one part of the regular fights properly to get the combo requirement, the rest can be plowed through via Big.

It may just be me, but 009-C wasn't anything special except the escape sequence which I can only beat with one continue even if damage doesn't seem adjusted between Normal and Hard (haven't played it in 101% Hard).

True dat. The flight sequence is the only part that worries me for Pure Platinum.

The amount of less interesting combat and sequences I have to go through to catch up really takes away from the experience.

Operation 009 is quite poor in general. 009-A is all shmups, 009-B is 50% shmups, 009-C starts with a boring combat section then follows it with the worst controlled shmup in the game (which it then makes twice as bad). Which is sad, since Operation 008 A & B and Operation 007-A are the best levels in the game.