Finished Wonderful 101 earlier today. Thoughts, mostly gripes. *SLIGHT spoilers*

#1JerickoXPosted 8/6/2014 3:28:29 AM(edited)
Overall, this was a great game. Wonderful 101 deserves the Kamiya label, because it had everything: a huge over-exaggerated plot, tons of fan service, witty banter between characters, etc. However, it stands as Kamiya's weakest effort to date, and by "weak" I mean over-saturated.

First of all, the camera-angle in some situations (*cough*LEVELSIETEAH*cough) does not work. The isometric angle degrades the distance between platforms, and makes certain jumps harder than necessary. I almost quit during the "drill" section, because you have to jump forward while parrying objects with aggravatingly high trajectory. This, WITH the risk if falling to your doom. In addition, unlike Kamiya's past games, the off-screen attacks are unfair, as enemy sound cues are whisper quiet, or non-existent. In Devil May Cry, you could hear the cue for a Shadow's spear attack; in Viewtiful Joe, you could hear where Fire Leo was going to spin-slash. But, in this game, the generic enemies attack cues are too subtle, and the isometric view heightens this problem.

Even if a "tank" is in view, the a.i. will obscure the tank's cue animation from the player. Although your party will gain access to counter moves, acquiring upgrades takes a long time. Thus, the enemy is given an unfair advantage until you've leveled up significantly. I expect more from Kamiya than to artificially stagnate the player's options, because the entry-level combat mechanics are s***. In DMC1, it was possible to finish DMD with EI/FE and S rank everything. Here, you must upgrade your team, because the A.I. forces the player into a fixed pathway of finding enhancements. In addition, there are color coded enemies, which... well, they sucked in DmC, and they suck here.

Bad Kamiya. NO.

However, by the finale the combat system pays off. It also helps the each character has very well written and hilarious dialogue. Also, I'd rank the Final Battle/Boss as second best next to Mundus, in terms of character/gameplay design. Still, the camera makes the initial playthrough arduous, and unfair. In addition, the game is about 5 hours too long. I suppose Kamiya was aiming towards the Nintendo 20 hour mark, but about 1/3rd of that time is bogged down with Gradius drooling and Nintendo gameplay homages. Whatever.

Complaints and technical issues aside, Wonderful 101 is an awesome game, and a must buy for any WiiU owner. But be prepared, because W101 is Kamiya's most challenging game yet. It will kick your ass... AND lick your wounds, because the "game-over screen" is your character's ghost crying like a wuss. DAMN you, Kamiya! >:O. Damn you to the depths of Satan's s*** stains!!! (^_^. I love you.)

8.5/10 (but a 9 in my heart).

*Inb4gitgudscrub.
---
The problem is not the constraints of the retail market, it's the constraints of an executive's brain. - Jim Sterling.
#2thelastgogetaPosted 8/6/2014 5:35:53 AM(edited)
You have a lot of fair points worth responding to but since I'm not the biggest Kamiya aficionado despite how much I love Okami, I'll leave most of it to the others.

JerickoX posted...
In addition, there are color coded enemies, which... well, they sucked in DmC, and they suck here.

They don't really exist in this game as you have multiple approaches even with the initial and early line up of attacks to get through any enemy and expose them to all other attacks. The closest thing to this are the spiked tanks or Die Dough Goos which can lose all of their armour in seconds exposing them to everything (before you consider that you can attack in other ways), which isn't too different the flying shadowy bastards in DMC4 which were easiest to wipe out if you used guns or devil bringer to get started.

Thanks for the post anyway, I'll be back to reply to more.

EDIT: I just remembered the Nyerk (big blue jelly) foe, it is also somewhat close to that "colour coded" thing but all bladed weapons will be effective on it despite players getting mostly comfortable with sword.
---
Get EX Troopers Localised on PS3 + 3DS: capcom-unity.com/capcom_games_discussion/go/thread/view/7341/30030505
Get The Wonderful 101!
#3TediousMattPosted 8/6/2014 5:08:38 PM(edited)
Gitgudscrub does apply here.

Most enemies, if not all, can be fought with multiple weapons/tactics if you know how. Turtles can be smashed with a hammer, the whip can get their tail, and blocking their stomp and punching their belly knocks them over for easy damage spam.

Enemy colours only cause them to drop their weapon.

The drill section is easy. Double jump for height and spam naginata. You will hover over the jumps so you don't have an issue with switching between jumping/attacking. You can judge jumps by looking at the coloured circle on the floor. It follows your controlled character and it shows where you are going to land.

Like Kamiya said. The first playthrough is the tutorial. Learn from your struggles, and the second run is perfecting the skills you learned.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ddyLVul.png < Does anybody have a link like this for Sega?
#4thelastgogetaPosted 8/6/2014 5:59:05 PM
TediousMatt posted...

Like Kamiya said. The first playthrough is the tutorial. Learn from your struggles, and the second run is perfecting the skills you learned.

I've seen this being said and must agree on the basis of any player barely having fundamentals down in the first run and even if they could get the whole moveset and set of Wonderful Ones in one run, they wouldn't be a position where they would learn how to make great use of it.

However, do you have a link to him saying that?
---
Get EX Troopers Localised on PS3 + 3DS: capcom-unity.com/capcom_games_discussion/go/thread/view/7341/30030505
Get The Wonderful 101!
#5JerickoX(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2014 11:45:15 AM
TediousMatt posted...
Gitgudscrub does apply here.

Most enemies, if not all, can be fought with multiple weapons/tactics if you know how. Turtles can be smashed with a hammer, the whip can get their tail, and blocking their stomp and punching their belly knocks them over for easy damage spam.

I knew there was a way to topped the turtles onto their backsides. In fact, I've done it once but I couldn't remember how. Also, I could swear I countered a Turtles Slam with a Wonder-White Corner-Screen cue.
---
The problem is not the constraints of the retail market, it's the constraints of an executive's brain. - Jim Sterling.
#6SBK91Posted 8/7/2014 4:13:02 PM
The closest thing to this are the spiked tanks or Die Dough Goos which can lose all of their armour in seconds exposing them to everything

It is dumb the Diedough Goo's have attacks you can't interrupt or pull off armor during.

which isn't too different the flying shadowy bastards in DMC4 which were easiest to wipe out if you used guns or devil bringer to get started.

Mephistos and Fausts were poor enemies, and still took damage through their cloaks (though it might have been reduced).

I knew there was a way to topped the turtles onto their backsides.

Bomb+Attack Liner is the best way to damage them once tipped (after Big).
#7thelastgogetaPosted 8/7/2014 4:31:51 PM
SBK91 posted...

It is dumb the Diedough Goo's have attacks you can't interrupt or pull off armor during.

Is that so? I was sure that Gedie Diedough Goos were vulnerable to the whip at basically all points and especially when doing their spin dash. A 50/100 man whip can end their short spree (prior to you rocking them with any weapon) pretty quickly though they feel threatening in the occasional tight spots which the game usually lets vanilla Diedough Goos have.

On vanilla Diedough Goos, enough manpower from Gun or Team Attack can stop even an angry one at least early on.

SBK91 posted...
Mephistos and Fausts were poor enemies, and still took damage through their cloaks (though it might have been reduced).

Suppose so, but the difference between enemies (those two and some TW101 enemies) which can be exposed to tons of other weapons or exploits promptly is clear from DmC which had distinct color coding which was my only point.
---
Get The Wonderful 101!
#8SBK91Posted 8/8/2014 4:44:09 PM
I was sure that Gedie Diedough Goos were vulnerable to the whip at basically all points and especially when doing their spin dash.

Won't stop their shots, flamethrower or melee attacks. Vanilla Diedough Goos are interruptable as you mentioned.

Suppose so, but the difference between enemies (those two and some TW101 enemies) which can be exposed to tons of other weapons or exploits promptly is clear from DmC which had distinct color coding which was my only point.

Agreed.
#9synchroschemePosted 8/10/2014 8:46:04 PM
I actually just finished W101 earlier today as well and I agree with some of what you say. The camera and perspective are no doubt the worst offenders in the game, and the combat while requiring some getting used to, does like you say, pay off in the end.

But being 5 hours too long? In my run I thought it was hilarious to see just how long the game could keep going without actually ending. And all of my minor beefs with the game seemingly went away when the final prompt of the game was PROTECT THE EARTH. Overall it was a very satisfying experience and should be fun replaying once you've got the hang of things and of course, have upgrades under your arsenal.

Looking back, the game was actually the toughest for me in the first 3 acts and slowly moved on to being smooth sailing.
---
3DS FC: 0044-3142-4910 - Synchro
#10Setnaro XPosted 8/20/2014 11:07:48 AM
The camera being positioned in isometric view was a real double edged sword for Platinum. The reason they went with this angle was to ensure players had little to no issues with having to draw their shapes out while still seeing the vicinity around them, and this along with making sure the camera never turns around at any moment, otherwise it'd affect what the player was trying to draw. Try drawing a shape during the first boss battle while the camera is turning around when you are on the statue; your wonderliner will skew around as you try and draw a shape.

The only other choice they would have had was a top down view in order to have an exact replica of the view players have on their Gamepad screen, but obviously that would severely limit what little they can see around their surroundings. It was definitely a design choice for them go with the isometric view, and one I feel they really did think it through for the drawing portion, but it really doesn't help when it comes to platforming which definitely are the weakest portions of the game, but thankfully it mostly occurs between missions and not during one so as to ruin a Pure Platinum moment.
---
http://backloggery.com/SetnaroX
"Proper sound shatters glass. Proper sound shatters the Universe."