help - REALLY struggling with doing unite morphs (and other controls)

#1blue_kaze21Posted 8/14/2014 2:50:51 AM
i just logged on after more than a year to ask for your help - I just got the Wonderful 101 and im loving the art style and premise - but i cant figure out how to EXACTLY do unite morphs.

can anyone guide me to the steps ? is it 1. Draw the shape with stylus on the gamepad (line/circle/ec) than 2. press A ?

also when i do a sword then press X as it says to form a separate team, why does it only last about 1.5 second and the sword goes back to me ?

also when i draw a line for a sword it says try drawing bigger but the line i draw never reaches a big enough size even if i draw from edge to edge ? same with circle. it never forms a complete circle unless i draw a really small one..

apologies for such noob questions but i really want to get good with this game

thanks
#2PirateHunter99Posted 8/14/2014 3:24:21 AM
Try drawing with the right analog stick. Might be a bit more comfortable for you, especially when you're starting out.

Drawing a weapon and pressing X causes someone else to use that weapon for a short time, for 1 combo or attack. Pressing A gives you the weapon to do as you please.

Again, drawing with the right analog stick can let you draw things as big as you want without worrying about the limitations of the gamepad's screen.

Hope this helps a bit
---
PSN: PiraTe_HuNTer99
A jack of all trades, but a master of none, is certainly better than a master of one.
#3thelastgogetaPosted 8/14/2014 4:02:38 AM
blue_kaze21 posted...
can anyone guide me to the steps ? is it 1. Draw the shape with stylus on the gamepad (line/circle/ec) than 2. press A ?

Don't use the stylus (if you use the GamePad's screen, use your finger and reach long ways), it is incredibly inefficient to have to reach for that thing to do combos. Using the right analog stick is much better for most players most of the time but the best players will be able to do things that only the touchscreen can offer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgf9siZOnS4

Basically, you have the right premise with drawing as it needs to be confirmed with the A button, but not a good idea for how you start off.

blue_kaze21 posted...
also when i do a sword then press X as it says to form a separate team, why does it only last about 1.5 second and the sword goes back to me ?

Multi Morphs are temporary supports which you can do to have up to five morphs out at once. When you use team attack (X button) or Unite Gun to lock on to foes, you can use this to keep enemies at bay or combo foes without even being there so you can set up something else.

There are other skills and the possibility of using those morphs to go in certain directions and block certain attacks for you but that's all you need to know for now.

blue_kaze21 posted...

also when i draw a line for a sword it says try drawing bigger but the line i draw never reaches a big enough size even if i draw from edge to edge ? same with circle. it never forms a complete circle unless i draw a really small one..

Reach from the left side of the screen to the right, you will be able to create morphs which are much bigger than 10 (the base size) and 20. I just checked and could make 100 man swords

The sizes for the morphs like Fist and Sword are 10, 20, 50 and 100 with some specific skills or moments needing higher numbers but you will learn as you go. If you can't make a bigger morph, it may be because you have 49 people or something.

Like we said, the right analog is more immediately effective but the touch screen may be preferable for some morphs which you'll get a feel for as you go.

Keep fighting, your first playthrough of the game is bound to have some poor grades and you barely scraping through but the game has more to offer even in the later runs.
---
Get EX Troopers Localised on PS3 + 3DS: capcom-unity.com/capcom_games_discussion/go/thread/view/7341/30030505
Get The Wonderful 101!
#4blue_kaze21(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 4:34:30 AM
Thanks guys. much obliged. you were right the analog stick has so far been easier to use.

The sword thing ive got down pat, but the Fist - is it realyl that much smaller than the sword? coz no metter how big i try to make it ends up pretty much the same size ? even though my sword is like 3 stories tall using the same no. of people

oh, so the extra morphs thing is really just for a few attacks then they go back to you? no way to make them stay apart from you?

again, many thanks. ashamed to say im struggling with this game's controls. almost tempted to try easy mode. im only at 1-1 and the Tank with the front shield is already killing my team
#5thelastgogetaPosted 8/14/2014 5:32:49 AM
Don't focus on how tall a morph becomes as much as how many people it takes up, how you perceive the size isn't that important as Unite Hand doesn't scale up much in size but it is very powerful when it gets hits.

At the beginning, you get used to sword for clearing the weaker enemies in seconds and Hand for getting in a lot of damage. If you have 50 people and all of them go into a Hand/Sword, that's a 50 man morph whether it looks that much bigger or not.

blue_kaze21 posted...

oh, so the extra morphs thing is really just for a few attacks then they go back to you? no way to make them stay apart from you?

I figured out a skill which can keep them away from you which I call "Magic Morphs", detailed in this thread: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/673081-the-wonderful-101/69410089

Basically:
1) Draw a Unite Hand and confirm it with A - You will see a flame over the Hand Leader.
2) Cancel it with Y.
3) Draw another Unite Hand and send it out as a Multi Morph.
4) Press A to combo and continue comboing while the Multi Morph is out.

If you do it with exact numbers or some specific methods, your Unite Hand will never shrink in size and you will only use the leader for the morph with the hand being empty. The catch is that it shrinks if you cancel again or use skills like Rising or Stinger (unless you have the other members busy with another multimorph).

It doesn't make the other users do excessive skills or combos, but it expands on your options. If you do this with other morphs, it doesn't work as effectively, the Unite Hand being the multimorph is key to having an empty morph possible (which could be Sword) and if it is Unite Hand as the primary morph it makes an infinite morph possible.

Also, there is a way to make them return early with the Y button which cancels most things like drawing, combos, multi morphs and allows you to sprint or gather the team.

I recommend using L3 (clicking down the left analog - also taunts if standing still near enemies which cancels your morph but increases your power) if you want to gather people without cancelling the morph, it is key at some points.

blue_kaze21 posted...

again, many thanks. ashamed to say im struggling with this game's controls. almost tempted to try easy mode. im only at 1-1 and the Tank with the front shield is already killing my team

If you are fighting the tank, do you have the block move (Unite Guts). It can stop all of the attacks of that enemy but has to be bought from the shop.

You can win without Unite Guts if you cancel the morph as soon as you hit (then it doesn't break) and move quickly but that isn't the ideal method for players who should be learning cues and blocking.
---
Get EX Troopers Localised on PS3 + 3DS: capcom-unity.com/capcom_games_discussion/go/thread/view/7341/30030505
Get The Wonderful 101!
#6blue_kaze21(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 6:20:18 AM
That was probably it. i didnt buy Unit guts before doing the mission.

just to be sure, what are the reasons for my Morph to break ? i sometimes notice my sword or Fist getting smaller even when i didnt get hit (no enemies). does it "break" if i press Y (dash) ?
#7thelastgogetaPosted 8/14/2014 6:32:37 AM
I see. I intend to do a run of the game in the future with no Unite Guts, but if you are new to the game and don't have it, you are in for a world of hurt when the tanks or other armoured foes come around.

Like I said, weapon morphs have the sizes of 10, 20, 50 and 100 but when you draw a larger morph than 10 (which you can access just by pressing A anyway), it doesn't stay at that size forever. It can only stay at that size for as long as the leader character has a flame (which shows that the user has a morph charged and recorded for whatever size) around them.

I don't really call it breaking for a morph to shrink in size, but bigger morphs have slower attacks and have the flame disappear quicker than larger ones.

The only condition for morphs to "break" is to hit an armoured foe or a foe who blocks with the wrong kind of morph, get hit by something while holding a morph or use a big morph which can't fit in the space you are in or which hits a dangerous ceiling (very rare in the game).

Pressing Y puts away the morph, but as long as you have the flame, you can pull it out again at the same size with A without having to draw it.
---
Get The Wonderful 101!
#8PirateHunter99Posted 8/14/2014 6:54:02 AM
You should buy Unite Guts and Unite Spring. Those are morphs that may as well be mandatory, and give you great defensive options
---
PSN: PiraTe_HuNTer99
A jack of all trades, but a master of none, is certainly better than a master of one.
#9thelastgogetaPosted 8/17/2014 10:36:44 AM
As I got through Normal Mode without Unite Spring (dodge) on my first run and it doesn't have any "must use" moments (at least before you consider invincibility frames, dodge mines and Hero Time), I neglected to mention it, but both Unite Spring and Unite Guts are basically mandatory.
---
Get The Wonderful 101!