I really want to get this game but...

#21T3H_1337_N1NJ4(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 7:43:42 AM
awesomephatman posted...
T3H_1337_N1NJ4 posted...
Yes it is. To get 3 stars you have to end EVERY race of the championship in first. I suppose you can see how that's a problem. Ending the championship first is easy, but when there's a very high chance you'll get screwed at the end of each race... gah.

Well from the sounds of it, that sucks, and you have my sympathies.

But the MK series in general doesn't have that problem. For instance Mario Kart 64, Double Dash, Mario Kart DS...I completed those games no problem.

Well, you could still easily get screwed at the end of the race in those, but since it was only the final ranking that mattered it's not nearly has enervating as being in the last race of the championship, doing a perfect run, getting neart the finish line and.. BAM BLUE SHELL, second place. Everything down the drain.
---
To err is human, but to really screw things up you need a computer!
IGN: CodenameFox
#22Dahaka66Posted 11/16/2012 7:49:25 AM
Mario Kart 7 was incredibly easy to 3-star. At the most, I had to replay cups 2 or 3 times because of last minute items and whatnot, and out of all 32 cups, I probably 3-star'd around 20-22 in my first try.

The series has had a problem with cheating AI (Mario Kart Wii was pretty bad), but don't look to MK7 to prove your point on it.
---
sports
http://i45.tinypic.com/ezg1ex.jpg
#23T3H_1337_N1NJ4(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 7:52:55 AM
Dahaka66 posted...
Mario Kart 7 was incredibly easy to 3-star. At the most, I had to replay cups 2 or 3 times because of last minute items and whatnot, and out of all 32 cups, I probably 3-star'd around 20-22 in my first try.

The series has had a problem with cheating AI (Mario Kart Wii was pretty bad), but don't look to MK7 to prove your point on it.

I'm not proving any point. I think everyone knows Mario Kart has rubber banding (right?). I was only pointing out annoying it was to have to repeat a championship because you got hit by a blue shell at the end. Also I was only talking about 150cc, 100cc and 50cc don't have that problem.

Repeating a race because the computer randomly decided to eff you up is not fun.
---
#24EngineR2Posted 11/16/2012 11:36:24 AM
awesomephatman posted...
T3H_1337_N1NJ4 posted...
awesomephatman posted...
Michele68 posted...
What does rubber-band Al mean?

It's when you're in first place, the computer will cheat to catch up with you and make the game more competitive. If you're way behind, the computer will slow down to let you catch up.

Depending on how severe the rubber-banding is, it can really ruin the fun/immersion of racing games.

But I'm just assuming that this game has rubber-banding because I read the first game had it. I don't know how bad it is, or if it's even there, because I've never played these games.

Also, for example in Mario Kart, not only do the cars that re behind you become faster, but near the final stretch, they all get really powerful items. So usually when you're about to cross the finish line you get hit by a Blue Shell, and then a bazillion other items and end up last.

I think that stuff happening in Mario Kart is grossly overexaggerated. I'm a veteran of the Mario Kart series, and it doesn't happen nearly that often.

The powerful items that last-place racers get is part of the game design and honestly doesn't bother me. It doesn't happen that often to negatively impact the experience.

There's no need to put down the Mario Kart series in an effort to make Sonic All-Stars look good.

Sad to say, more often than not, this is no exaggeration. This started happening more frequently in Mario Kart Wii, and it did happen(though not as much) in Mario Kart DS. From experience, I can tell you this does happen. Maybe not to everyone, but it's still common.

Playing Mario Kart 7, trying to get the three stars in a Mirror mode GP, I was in first place, as normal, when I was UNBELIEVABLY hit with 5 totally unavoidable items in a row, within the time frame of about twelve seconds. I was struck by lightning, which was immediately followed by a blue shell, followed by normal shell, then struck by lightning again, and then hit by a red shell. Due to my disbelief, I even paused the game and told others about this.

As someone who has the skill level to reach 9999VR points quickly in Mario Kart Wii, and even placed in the tournament's top 10 at one time, even I had to restart that GP so many times for things like that happening, that I've lost count. I have no reason to lie about this. It is that bad.
---
Not changing sig until Toad, Jill and Drill Dozer are playable characters in the new Smash Bros.
#25awesomephatmanPosted 11/16/2012 11:37:40 AM
I believe you, what the heck.

I've never played Mario Kart 7 or MKWii.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tinyraptor
I was floating in a peaceful sea, rescued by a sinking ship
#26T3H_1337_N1NJ4(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 12:01:49 PM
EngineR2 posted...
As someone who has the skill level to reach 9999VR points quickly in Mario Kart Wii, and even placed in the tournament's top 10 at one time, even I had to restart that GP so many times for things like that happening, that I've lost count. I have no reason to lie about this. It is that bad.

Exactly. Anyone saying that if you have to repeat is because you suck is either lying or just really lucky.
---
#27EngineR2Posted 11/16/2012 12:04:50 PM(edited)
@awesomephatman:

I see. That explains everything. If you ever get around to playing either one of those games, know that Mario Kart Wii, at least, has a mode where you can remove items altogether(I use this mode a lot). Without it? You will be punished for being in 1st.

I myself, am a veteran, who has only missed out on the two arcade Mario Kart games. It's only this way with the latest two games, as you probably know.

By the way, was Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing like this? I played the demo, and it wasn't so bad. I just don't know about the full game. I plan on getting both this game, and the new sequel.
---
Not changing sig until Toad, Jill and Drill Dozer are playable characters in the new Smash Bros.
#28T3H_1337_N1NJ4(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 12:04:26 PM
Nope, the items in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing are not nearly as powerful, so that doesn't happen.
---
#29EngineR2Posted 11/16/2012 12:08:48 PM
That's good to know. It's one of the reasons I liked playing the demo.

I hope the Wii U version(sequel) isn't worst than the other two console versions. Already dealing with the unnecessary removal of content on the 3DS version, due to some kids not being good enough.
---
#30T3H_1337_N1NJ4(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2012 12:11:16 PM
Exactly! Here's to hoping it's a good version!
---