do dead island vets actually use guns more this time around?

#1squiggy9996999Posted 5/23/2013 8:41:44 AM
just curious. all the reviews mentioned more gunplay (there is a lot more ammo but by the end you make your own anyways).

but my first character i played was a xian import and blades are too fun to switch for guns with her (she carries guns but uses them on 2-3% of zombies).

my second is john, but punching and kicking zombies across the map is also too fun, dont want to play guns with him.

i will import my purna next, but she's the gun character so it seems like i am not using guns more at all.

anyone else playing this way or are most people just using guns a lot?
---
I want to agree with you but then we'd BOTH be wrong...
#2kane198tPosted 5/23/2013 9:10:53 AM
I'm playing the same way you are Squiggy. With Sam i didnt use them except when I wanted to find out how well they worked against Screamers and Wrestlers. Now on 3rd straight John play through and only pull them out for fun really, since, like you said, John is too fun just using his hands and feet. I'm still waiting to import my Purna, and I think I will use the guns more often with her, but not by a large amount.

For one thing, you get the attention of every zombie inside a pretty large radius coming at you. If you stick with guns that's not a problem, but I usually switch back to melee or h2h so it's a little overwhelming at times. But I like that it happens since it heightens the danger.

Anyway, overall, I'm using guns less than I did in Dead Island.
#3squiggy9996999(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 9:20:30 AM
yeah, with xian i thought the game was easy because she can skip past 90% of fights without being noticed. in boats they almost never run after me.

then i tried john and the game became so much more stressful just from not having the 15% reduction in being noticed.
---
#4bhamacukPosted 5/23/2013 9:53:13 AM
Only occasionally used the rifle, but mostly used John's hand to hand weaponry.
#5BayouJoePosted 5/23/2013 10:15:38 AM
Very rarely use guns.....zombie games are always better with melee weapons.
---
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."
#6kane198tPosted 5/23/2013 10:21:07 AM
squiggy9996999 posted...
yeah, with xian i thought the game was easy because she can skip past 90% of fights without being noticed. in boats they almost never run after me.

then i tried john and the game became so much more stressful just from not having the 15% reduction in being noticed.

Huh, I didnt know Xian had that. I wonder how much of a radius she would have if you fired off a gun a few times then. That's a way better skill than Sam B being able to increase how much he gets noticed. Talk about wasting skill points! So glad I ignored that skill.
#7CharmilePosted 5/23/2013 10:46:01 AM
Less for me, being how there were less human enemies this time around
---
The problem with restraining speech is, who gets to set the rules? If it's only okay in a certain time or place, who gets to say what time and what place?
#8squiggy9996999(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2013 12:13:59 PM
" That's a way better skill than Sam B being able to increase how much he gets noticed. Talk about wasting skill points! So glad I ignored that skill."

that's not really a "WASTE" so much as a coop-only build skill. if you play alone only then its a waste (then again, the game is so easy by the end it would probably make soloing more fun at lvl 70 since EVERYONE should go straight at you).

when i play coop as xian with a sam B that has that skill, i clean house. it is an awesome combo with my ability to be ignored (plus backstabbing bonuses and crit bonuses of course). everyone runs to sam and i jsut get non stop back attack crits. ;)
---
#9hauntbotPosted 5/23/2013 12:21:49 PM
I use some guns on john. It's clearly a supplementary skill, but I do like to soften up thugs/etc with a flare or stun gun before closing in. I'd probably play similar on Sam, though I'm putting off importing him until I play through with the characters I didnt use so much in di1.

I hate that Logan has skills that make guns somewhat good when they're redundant & inferior to his throwing skills. They really should have given the supplementary gun skill to Sam, or just scrapped the idea of a secondary gun character altogether.
---
go get suspended for shouting at 12yr olds again.~wikkiwis
~truballergamerjammer2013
#10kane198tPosted 5/24/2013 9:47:48 AM
Squiggy - I can see where that would work out well in co op. Maybe they should have added a co op skill tree with co op only XP points to distribute. In Riptide, it doesnt take much to get the attention of anything, regardless of what character you have.Well, on Solo mode I mean. The Screamers are about the only one's that seem to keep a good distance before coming at you. I just lob out some meat mait and then go to work on her.

I tried a lvl 70 shock rifle mod gun on a Screamer a few times. The amount of damage she took wasnt great, and the Wrestler....wow....that guy just shrugs off bullets. He shrugs off everything that I've thrown at him, except grenades and mines.
---
GT for 360: kane198t
"Why co-op stinks? Because I dont have Live Gold or a headset." - Me...unfortunately.