Have you changed your strategy from DI to Riptide...?

#1kane198tPosted 5/23/2013 9:29:39 AM
I'm just wondering what changes, if any, the rest of you have made from the original came to this one.

I'm using bombs and grenades more in this one. Lob some meat bait out there, and once they started fighting for scraps (which I love that even thugs, floaters, and screamers will fight for bait now), toss a grenade at or 2 at them and let them all die. Actually, I've found a new favorite weapon. The Sonic Bomb. Doesnt do much to the bigger, stronger zombies, but walkers, infected, and drowners just go splat. I love it!

Also, I've used mines, which I didnt have in the original but I know some people did, from the Bloodbath Arena I think? But those are great during a hub defense, or also to put in the path of a Wrestler since they are so slow.

And if I'm using John, which I almost always am, I've never had so much fun fighting WITHOUT a weapon in this series. He is just a beast. Equip some lvl 70 knuckles that are maxed out with a mod on them, and everything goes down easy, even Screamers, Thugs, and Floaters. Wrestlers still take awhile, those guys have some rhino skin going on, but they are still a walk in the park since they attack slow too.

All in all, I've played this game differently myself. In the original I used guns a lot, but I barely touch them now.
#2hauntbotPosted 5/23/2013 10:35:52 AM
Bombs of all sorts are way more practical now. They were so rare and took up precious inventory space before.

Guns are also very reasonable back up weapons for at least John and Sam b now, thanks to ammo being more common and guns/headshots seeming more effective.

Lastly I use melee a lot more freely, I don't think the base durability has been altered but the 20% boost from rank 2 proficiency at least makes a big impact imo, the faster leveling also makes it easier to stack up on durability boosting perks. I used to really actively avoid degrading my weapons unless I was dealing with a whole group and running or raging weren't options.

All of this combined makes the game a lot more enjoyable. I really wish it had some sort of backwards compatibility with normal di, the one major drawback is that the game itself is smaller/shorter
---
go get suspended for shouting at 12yr olds again.~wikkiwis
~truballergamerjammer2013
#3squiggy9996999Posted 5/23/2013 10:47:33 AM
with my xian it was more of the same. i hardly ever use anything but blades with her.

john is a new style so it doesn't really apply. i plan on importing my purna and using bombs and guns (which i guess is a change from just guns?)

one thing i like is how this game really feels like it is part of the last game, although there are a few nice subtle improvements (like when you look at mod items it tells you all of the recipes you have that use it and how many you need.
---
I want to agree with you but then we'd BOTH be wrong...
#4hauntbotPosted 5/23/2013 10:56:32 AM
squiggy9996999 posted...
with my xian it was more of the same. i hardly ever use anything but blades with her.

john is a new style so it doesn't really apply. i plan on importing my purna and using bombs and guns (which i guess is a change from just guns?)

one thing i like is how this game really feels like it is part of the last game, although there are a few nice subtle improvements (like when you look at mod items it tells you all of the recipes you have that use it and how many you need.

Did you use the charge attack with her at all? It doesn't seem bad but feels pretty tacked on and pointless for most of the others.
---
#5squiggy9996999Posted 5/23/2013 11:02:51 AM
^not yet. i have my last 10 points unspent, i can never decide (and that's how OP she is at lvl 70 lol).

i tried the charge on another character, it is interesting. i basically have all that i want, i have to choose between lock picking (for grinding), getting the stamina upgrades or maybe the re-rage ability (seems like overkill already). or dump the points into poison duration but that's almost a waste since i just swing my weapon one more time instead of waiting.

it is definitely better than the jump kick - which i do not use because i hate jumping around like an idiot when playing a game. ;)
---
#6hauntbotPosted 5/23/2013 11:13:38 AM
squiggy9996999 posted...
^not yet. i have my last 10 points unspent, i can never decide (and that's how OP she is at lvl 70 lol).

i tried the charge on another character, it is interesting. i basically have all that i want, i have to choose between lock picking (for grinding), getting the stamina upgrades or maybe the re-rage ability (seems like overkill already). or dump the points into poison duration but that's almost a waste since i just swing my weapon one more time instead of waiting.

it is definitely better than the jump kick - which i do not use because i hate jumping around like an idiot when playing a game. ;)

Yeah I agree its better than the jump kick. It just seems redundant with Sams tackle, johns kick, Logan's aoe throwing, and purnas guns. I picked it up on Logan anyway since I dont always throw, but it still seems... questionable. It might actually be better than Sams tackle once you get used to it, somewhat ironically.
---
#7squiggy9996999Posted 5/23/2013 11:15:31 AM
i guess i can try it out for xian, it might be more suited to her since she has nothing like that...well except that her rage is like a charge so maybe not.
---
#8hauntbotPosted 5/23/2013 11:26:00 AM
squiggy9996999 posted...
i guess i can try it out for xian, it might be more suited to her since she has nothing like that...well except that her rage is like a charge so maybe not.

Yeah that's the catch with her. :/ Pretty sure you can't use charge in rage unless you abuse the rage weapon glitch. It's a good idea but it would work better if it had been integrated into a character or twos skills from the start, rather than redundant with all the other skills. :\
---
#9DrJawlessPosted 5/23/2013 2:45:04 PM
Well in the old DI, I was paranoid about losing durability so I stomped something like 80% of my enemies. Plus I never threw anything.

Now I actually kill things with weapons with the odd stomp here and there, and I threw a lot of weapons for the first half of the game getting rid of the weak white weapons that pop into my weapon wheel.
---
I'd imagine some quack telling you that you have "multiple personalities" and "psychotic tendencies" would be pretty annoying. - Fishystick
#10kane198t(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2013 9:06:58 AM
I'm using my weapons a lot more in this game too. Early on in the original, and in Riptide, I just went h2h since it's easy to knock one down and then break their arms, or stomp on the head. But it doesnt take long before the zombies start hanging out in bunches and you need some weapon on you to deal with them. I still put my weapons away when I see there's only 2-3 zombies max in the area to deal with and save my durability. So all in all, that's a strategy that I have not changed much.
---
GT for 360: kane198t
"Why co-op stinks? Because I dont have Live Gold or a headset." - Me...unfortunately.