George Romero Mod

#1AdenosinePosted 4/25/2013 7:34:51 PM
Here's my George Romero Mod for Riptide, I hope you guys can have a little fun with it :)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2128844

Game: Dead Island Riptide
Mod: George Romero Mod Version 3
Release Date: April 25, 2013
By: Adeno

Major Improvements:

- Zombies now won't stay idle and they will hunt you down.

Mod: George Romero Mod Version 4

Major Improvements:

- Zombies are more active.

Table of Contents:

I. What is the George Romero Mod?
II. How to Use
III. Current Features
IV. Known Issues
V. Troubleshooting

This is a mod named after the "father" of the zombie genre, George Romero. In modern times, there are all sorts of zombies, ranging from the the normal slow shambling types to the more imaginative hybrid zombie types that sometimes are powered by science and technology. The classic Romero zombie is the slow and typically dumb zombie whose only mission is to eat the nearest living flesh available. These Romero zombies don't care if their body parts get chopped off or whether they are headed towards the edge of a building. They will usually head straight towards their victim unless their path is blocked, and that's the only time they would either find another way around or just continue walking forward even though they can't make any progress. This mod aims to get as close as possible to Romero's vision of zombies within the limitations of Dead Island Riptide's design.

II. How to Use

* You must have WinRAR or WinZIP to "extract" the RAR file. *

Installation:

- Go to where you installed Dead Island Riptide.
ex. Dead Island Riptide\DI folder.

- Make a back-up of the file called Data0.pak by right clicking it and choosing Copy.

- Paste the copy and name it something like Data0ORIGINAL.pak so you can revert to the
default way the game is supposed to be played.

- Put the mod inside the DI folder.
ex. DIR_RomeroModv4.rar.

- Right Click on the mod and choose "Extract Here".

- It will ask you to replace Data0.pak, choose to replace it.

- Play the game and have fun!

III. Current Features

- Zombies only die by destroying the head or somehow causing harm to the head.

- Zombies move slower.

- Zombies will usually grab you to try and eat your flesh.

- You can now collect food and drinks instead of using them right away.

- Optional: There is a version that has "Orange" weapons in shops right away.

IV. Known Issues

- Crippling or cutting off zombie's arms will cause it to just follow you around, unable to grab or hit you.

- There might be times when you won't be able to make progress in a mission because you
are using this (or any other) mod.

V. Troubleshooting

1. I can't progress in a mission while using this mod!

Solution:

- Use the original Data0.pak. Delete or replace the one used by the mod with the original.
---
http://adenogames.orgfree.com - Adeno's Game Development Website
#2vancyerPosted 4/26/2013 4:23:06 AM
Very cool concept mate.
---
DTD
#3valkod23Posted 4/26/2013 9:01:57 AM
Adenosine posted...
Here's my George Romero Mod for Riptide, I hope you guys can have a little fun with it :)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2128844

Mod: George Romero Mod Version 3

Major Improvements:

Mod: George Romero Mod Version 4

Major Improvements:

- Zombies are more active.

Table of Contents:

II. How to Use
III. Current Features
IV. Known Issues
V. Troubleshooting

This is a mod named after the "father" of the zombie genre, George Romero. In modern times, there are all sorts of zombies, ranging from the the normal slow shambling types to the more imaginative hybrid zombie types that sometimes are powered by science and technology. The classic Romero zombie is the slow and typically dumb zombie whose only mission is to eat the nearest living flesh available. These Romero zombies don't care if their body parts get chopped off or whether they are headed towards the edge of a building. They will usually head straight towards their victim unless their path is blocked, and that's the only time they would either find another way around or just continue walking forward even though they can't make any progress. This mod aims to get as close as possible to Romero's vision of zombies within the limitations of Dead Island Riptide's design.

II. How to Use

* You must have WinRAR or WinZIP to "extract" the RAR file. *

Installation:

- Go to where you installed Dead Island Riptide.
ex. Dead Island Riptide\DI folder.

- Make a back-up of the file called Data0.pak by right clicking it and choosing Copy.

- Paste the copy and name it something like Data0ORIGINAL.pak so you can revert to the
default way the game is supposed to be played.

- Put the mod inside the DI folder.
ex. DIR_RomeroModv4.rar.

- Right Click on the mod and choose "Extract Here".

- It will ask you to replace Data0.pak, choose to replace it.

- Play the game and have fun!

III. Current Features

- Zombies only die by destroying the head or somehow causing harm to the head.

- Zombies move slower.

- Zombies will usually grab you to try and eat your flesh.

- You can now collect food and drinks instead of using them right away.

- Optional: There is a version that has "Orange" weapons in shops right away.

IV. Known Issues

- Crippling or cutting off zombie's arms will cause it to just follow you around, unable to grab or hit you.

- There might be times when you won't be able to make progress in a mission because you
are using this (or any other) mod.

V. Troubleshooting

1. I can't progress in a mission while using this mod!

Solution:

- Use the original Data0.pak. Delete or replace the one used by the mod with the original.

How are the special zombies altered? Like the Butcher, Floater, Ram, etc.
---
PSN: Valkod
Playing Dark Souls and Baldur's Gate Trilogy right now.
#4Adenosine(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 5:26:57 PM
Just made some major improvements and extra options, we now have Version 5. You can get it here -> http://www.moddb.com/games/dead-island-riptide/downloads/george-romero-riptide-mod-v5-all-in-one

The special zombies will still do their special moves, but they'll also be very slow and get killed if you bash their head :D

Have fun all!
---
#5createdforthisPosted 4/28/2013 5:55:39 PM
@valkod23

It's 100% unnecessary to quote what Adenosine said. I read it once, I don't need to read it a second time just to see you post 1 small sentence made up of about 6 words!
#6BigJeffreyLanePosted 4/29/2013 4:49:09 PM
createdforthis posted...
@valkod23

It's 100% unnecessary to quote what Adenosine said. I read it once, I don't need to read it a second time just to see you post 1 small sentence made up of about 6 words!

it's also 100% unneccessary to complain about it, since just reading a few words would tell ya it's the same thing, and you just scroll right past it... tho i'm sure thats to illogical for you.

a question for the TC tho: is this a mod like the ones for Skyrim or something else?
#7Adenosine(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 6:42:35 PM
I'm not familiar with Skyrim modding, but from what I know, in Skyrim you can actually import different 3D models into the game (like those Zombie Ninja Turtles). I think Skyrim even has its own mod editor/workshop program made especially for that purpose. In Dead Island modding, as far as I know that's not possible. Modding is only possible in limited ways, unlike Skyrim where allowing players to mod the game was part of the developer's plan all along so they made it easier to do.

The only things possible in Dead Island modding for now is modifying the behaviours, menus, and properties of items. There aren't even texture or skin modding that I know of. I think the reason for the limited modding possibilities in Dead Island is because of the way the game engine works. I think they used something called "Chrome" or whatever and it's very specialized that unless you have the official Chrome Editor, you won't be able to do anything with the assets in the game (like textures and models).

As far as how easy it is to use the mod, it's just a simple replacement of a certain file in the folder. It can easily be undone by putting back the original file (which is why anyone who uses mods should make a back-up of the original Data0.pak file) :D
---