First Impressions and Tips

#1aborklePosted 6/14/2012 10:33:41 AM
I'm enjoying expanding my airline. Seems like it might have more depth than Tiny Tower.

-Join the Flight Crew called TOUCHARCADE - we're #1

-Don't buy airports before reading range of you planes (green circle when they are at an airport and you're looking at routes). You could end up buying one outside of range, otherwise.

-I color all my Cargo planes Brown and Yellow. I name them P or C for Passenger or Cargo then the # of slots.

-I'm not sure what upgrading Weight does? Fuel you can go further, Speed, faster. I assume Weight makes greater distances cost less?

-I'm going to try to buy an expensive central airport and buy all around it rather than stretching, which I did to hit Calgary (long term was a mistake for the benefit of short term). With this in mind I'm more concerned with capacity than speed of my fleet.

-Going to try to phase out current 1 seaters to 2 seaters as parts allow. Going to try to balance Passenger v Cargo capacity evenly. Right now I'm 6 P seats (not planes) and 3 C spots (not planes). Not thrilled about that.

-Having trouble figuring out the right balance between quantity of airports v planes v upgrading airports v replacing planes.

-I'm learning Canadian geography.

-Does Gifting Parts cost bux? Is it a zero sum game in this regard?

-Was disappointed by lack of Cleveland OH and Madison WI airports. I bet they add airports with updates, because Nimblebit rules.

-I don't understand the extra non-green events. Do these result in prizes, as well?
#2matticus88Posted 6/14/2012 2:47:10 PM
I made the mistake of buying the airport in Cancun and now, I can't get over there lol. I'll have to increase the range on one of my planes to get over there.

Overall, the game is pretty awesome! I still don't understand a few things so a few tips from others here would be great.
---
Psn ID: HimynameisMattyK
Xbox live gamertag: Tombs5
#3acero47Posted 6/14/2012 3:18:09 PM
Class 2 planes can only land in Class 2 or 3 airports. Similarly, Class 3 planes can only land in Class 3 airports. I'm not sure yet if you can upgrade any airport enough that it will increase in class, but I'm guessing not. Thus, make sure you don't rush out and buy the first class 2 plane you get your hands on, unless you've only been purchasing Class 2+ airports.

I haven't tested it much, but it looks like there is a cap on how much you can upgrade planes. I upgraded a Wallaby-P's Range, and it maxed out at +15% (3 upgrades). Presumably, there's a limit for all planes, most likely of 3 upgrades for all stats.

Don't be afraid to unload items and leave them in layaway, especially if you see a Bux Passenger/Cargo going the other way. As far as I can tell layaway items stay indefinitely and maintain their original reward.

If you buy planes in parts rather than as a whole, it's less expensive.
#4aborkle(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2012 8:49:47 AM
Don't be afraid to unload items and leave them in layaway, especially if you see a Bux Passenger/Cargo going the other way. As far as I can tell layaway items stay indefinitely and maintain their original reward.

I don't tend to do this but need to start. Note there is a limit on layovers per airport (can check on the airport screen).

Also note a good system:
-you can load a plane up
-then *not* depart
-wait for new jobs to be available
-have your pick between the new jobs and the old ones you loaded up in step 1
#5aborkle(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2012 3:04:46 PM
acero47 - what is your system? I've played a ton since it came out the other night yet I still don't have any Class 2 planes available. Makes me think you have a good balance between planes/airports and upgrade of planes/airports.
#6itachi00Posted 6/15/2012 4:36:39 PM(edited)
How do you buy planes?
Is bux the only way? What plane do you guys recommend buying? I dont really wanna waste my bux
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#7acero47Posted 6/15/2012 5:26:26 PM
Mostly, I just played a lot the first couple days. You get access to your first Class 2 plane around level 9 or 10, iirc, so it doesn't take too long.

As for planes, yes, you can only buy them with bux (or find the parts by buying airports, though you'll still need to spend bux to build the plane). That said, you can earn bux pretty easily in this game, so it's not too much of a worry.

I personally like the Mohawk for class 1, and I tend to prefer P/C over M, just because it's quicker to get them filled up. The Kangaroo (higher capacity, lower range and speed) is also pretty nice. For Class 2, I think I'm going to go for Pearjets (faster) or AeroEagles (higher capacity), and I'll almost definitely use the Cloudliners in Class 3 (3rd fastest plane, 3rd highest range, and by far the highest capacity = awesome).

Another tip:
If you're not in the area of the world event, you can still buy a couple small airports in the area, plop a new plane down, and you're good to go. I believe I read elsewhere that, even if you're in the top flight crew, you won't get the reward unless you've personally delivered at least 5 people/cargo to the location. The single-digit bux you spend to get the plane there is dwarved by the potentially 100 bux you get if your in the winning crew.
#8lil_bandit18Posted 6/16/2012 9:22:19 AM
I'm a little bit confused. How can I make money faster? I bought two airports and now I'm down to 3k, and slowly, slowly, moving up. Also is bringing special cargo to places the only way to gain bux?
---
TM 87
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2tcfp6LBQ1r53h4fo1_250.gif
#9kanto_wandererPosted 6/16/2012 1:04:41 PM
So happy to finally have this, seems like I've waited for ages to play this, although I'm still managing my tiny tower on a daily basis. Just curious, but how do I join your flight crew?
#10itachi00Posted 6/16/2012 5:06:18 PM(edited)
What is p/c m?
Also when do i get the kangaroo?
---