Buying PSP version and playing on Vita?

#1TheGreatUltrosPosted 10/7/2012 12:19:19 PM
So in this topic (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/674859-sd-gundam-g-generation-overworld/64182737) I read that you can apparently buy the PSP version for this game and play it on Vita. How exactly does that work? I bought SRW Hakai-Hen and Saisei-Hen on the PS Vita store but I remember it being very expensive (way more then buying a PSP copy.), so buying a PSP game and playing it on Vita would be an optimal solution.

tl;dr: Before I buy the PSP version could someone please explain the process of using a PSP version of this game to play on the Vita?
#2lucemon6667Posted 10/7/2012 12:20:41 PM
i don't think it's possible since the vita doesn't have UMD support
#3bornonafridayPosted 10/7/2012 12:44:31 PM
You can buy the digital version on PSN. I believe there was a sale going on, limited time only, where the digital version was cheaper than the physical copy. Digital is rarely more expensive than the physical. Anyways, that's how I bought it and am playing it on my Vita.

If you're wondering about the process of playing it on Vita in general, I can explain that as well. First off, you'd be buying it in the JPN PS store so you must have a JPN PSN account set up. The only way to provide funds to buy in JPN PS store is buying PSN cards. Most sites that sell them will e-mail you the card code to redeem. I recommend http://www.japan-codes.com/product-category/playstation-network-card/ as they regularly have deals going on.

Your Vita's current PSN account must be the JPN one to play the games you buy off the JPN PS store. IGN has a nice video guide that shows you how to switch accounts if you're currently using a different region account. Note, you must have a second memory card to use this method. After switching accounts, redeem the PSN card code in the store, buy the game, and it'll download to your Vita to play. You'll notice that PSP games are a little pixelated, but if you hold the touch screen for a few seconds, a screen will pop up and you can active bi-linear filtering, which will smooth out the pixels.

If anything I said was confusing, let me know and I can try to explain it better.
---
Follow me if you like twitter@protomelvin
#4TheGreatUltros(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2012 12:53:03 PM(edited)
Thanks for the explanation, but I actually know about the process of buying games on the Japanese PSN (as I said I've done it with super robot wars z2.1 hakai-hen and z2.2 saisei-hen) but that time I bought my Japanese PSN cards on play-asia and I recall the prices being very steep. Maybe the site you linked has cheaper cards, I don't know and I don't have the time to compare right now (I need to go to sleep soon). So the only way of getting this on the Vita is going through that process again? There isn't a way to buy the physical PSP copy and use it to access the game on Vita?

If the only way is to buy it on the Japanese PSN I guess I will have to check the prices in the store and for the PSN cards tomorrow..
#5bornonafridayPosted 10/7/2012 3:06:34 PM
TheGreatUltros posted...
Thanks for the explanation, but I actually know about the process of buying games on the Japanese PSN (as I said I've done it with super robot wars z2.1 hakai-hen and z2.2 saisei-hen) but that time I bought my Japanese PSN cards on play-asia and I recall the prices being very steep. Maybe the site you linked has cheaper cards, I don't know and I don't have the time to compare right now (I need to go to sleep soon). So the only way of getting this on the Vita is going through that process again? There isn't a way to buy the physical PSP copy and use it to access the game on Vita?

If the only way is to buy it on the Japanese PSN I guess I will have to check the prices in the store and for the PSN cards tomorrow..

Yeah, the site I linked is pretty fair pricing, and they regularly have sales as well.

Well a physical PSP copy is a UMD. There is no way for a Vita to load a UMD, so no.
---
#6IceCold1993Posted 10/7/2012 9:09:03 PM
bornonafriday posted...

Your Vita's current PSN account must be the JPN one to play the games you buy off the JPN PS store. IGN has a nice video guide that shows you how to switch accounts if you're currently using a different region account. Note, you must have a second memory card to use this method. After switching accounts, redeem the PSN card code in the store, buy the game, and it'll download to your Vita to play. You'll notice that PSP games are a little pixelated, but if you hold the touch screen for a few seconds, a screen will pop up and you can active bi-linear filtering, which will smooth out the pixels.

I can confirm that you don't need a second memory card to switch accounts. Just go to settings, restore the ps vita system etc. but do not take out the memory card and everything should go smooth without having to use a second memory card.
---
(US) PSN: AyoAgito
(HK) PSN: AyoAgitoHK
#7bornonafridayPosted 10/7/2012 9:46:56 PM
IceCold1993 posted...
bornonafriday posted...

I can confirm that you don't need a second memory card to switch accounts. Just go to settings, restore the ps vita system etc. but do not take out the memory card and everything should go smooth without having to use a second memory card.

I thought that with the new firmware update you can't do that anymore.
---
#8TheGreatUltros(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 7:28:37 AM
Memory cards are no problem, I have 2 already.

Well, it was cheaper then I thought so I decided to buy the game. Just ordered 6000 PSN points on that site now, when I get the codes mailed to me I will buy the game directly on the Vita. Thanks for the help.
#9IceCold1993Posted 10/8/2012 7:46:06 AM
bornonafriday posted...
IceCold1993 posted...
bornonafriday posted...

I thought that with the new firmware update you can't do that anymore.

Sorry your right I just checked (last time I did this was a few months ago) and I can't do it with one memory card (unless I back up all my data). Horrible sony just horrible!
---
(US) PSN: AyoAgito
(HK) PSN: AyoAgitoHK
#10TheGreatUltros(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 11:39:59 AM
I haven't received my codes yet, I assume I will get them tomorrow. Could someone for reference confirm that this is the correct game in the store? The PSP game icon is not the same as in the image gallery here, but the title, release date etc seem to match... A quick confirmation would put my mind at ease!

Here is a picture:
http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae188/BlazeShadow/2012-10-08213407.jpg