Devilish Shapes

#1GuyNamedDavidPosted 4/11/2013 3:43:28 PM
Gave up on this one after giving it a fair shot. The only mnemonics I could come up with felt too awkward to use. My record is 5-Back, as opposed to Fast 6-Back in Calculations and 6-Back in Listening. How do you all handle Shapes?
#2Spanish_BreadPosted 4/11/2013 8:29:04 PM
GuyNamedDavid posted...
Gave up on this one after giving it a fair shot. The only mnemonics I could come up with felt too awkward to use. My record is 5-Back, as opposed to Fast 6-Back in Calculations and 6-Back in Listening. How do you all handle Shapes?

i think devilish shapes is the easiest one as compare to calculation and listening... because you have a minimum of 33% to get the shape right... I suggest using 1-word association... for me i use terms like birds, clouds, shurikens, nose, drum, blacksmith, pinwheel, badge, make-up, poison, joker, diamond, pencil, science, boomerang etc... Also it helps you memorize if you speak loudly the "word" you associated with the shapes...

and sometimes I use the same word for 2-3 shapes, i think it's just okay since there's a very low probability that those 3 options would be the in the same question/item set. so it's just a matter of luck...
example: there are 2-3 variations of boomerang, birds, and shurikens...

btw i'm currently at 13-back for devilish shapes using that technique XD
#3GuyNamedDavid(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2013 11:46:43 AM
Yeah, I do pretty much exactly that. I say the shape order to myself as I go. Some of my shapes share the same word, too. (Maybe too many of them.) We even have "shuriken, pinwheel, diamond" in common.

What I assume you don't do is speak the entire lineup as you go. As in, for 6-Back, I say "1 2 3 4 5 6 7" and write 1 while I finish speaking, then say "2 3 4 5 6 7 8" and do the same for 2. Doing it this way has its benefits, but doesn't work well in Shapes. If I use natural words, there's too much to say, but if I reduce the number of syllables, it takes extra encoding/decoding steps to know which shapes I mean.