What is the point of guns?

#1agilityPosted 5/17/2013 2:45:23 PM
Much like the series, gunshots attract the walkers. Whenever I use any of the guns I get swarmed and run out of ammo.. aside from the achievements what are they good for?
---
I want to twitter your yahoo and google all over your face..book.
#2ignorant_pantsPosted 5/17/2013 7:39:58 PM
agility posted...
Much like the series, gunshots attract the walkers. Whenever I use any of the guns I get swarmed and run out of ammo.. aside from the achievements what are they good for?

They're good for shooting walkers in the brain:)

I rarely used guns when I first started playing for that exact reason, but its more of an issue of knowing WHEN you can use them. Starting out I barely used my firearms, but now that I'm familiar with the levels I can have a lot of fun incorporating them, and avoid getting swarmed.

I also get a guilty pleasure out of equipping survivors with bolt action rifles and sending em out for more ammo, knowing they only have one bullet in the chamber.
#3agility(Topic Creator)Posted 5/17/2013 8:42:37 PM
They ARE good for blowing walkers brains out! Can you give an example of when to use them without getting swarmed? I know when I am out of reach I can pick them off... but they just keep coming!! just found the crossbow so that lessens the need for guns for now.
---
I want to twitter your yahoo and google all over your face..book.
#4ignorant_pantsPosted 5/18/2013 6:52:09 AM
agility posted...
They ARE good for blowing walkers brains out! Can you give an example of when to use them without getting swarmed? I know when I am out of reach I can pick them off... but they just keep coming!! just found the crossbow so that lessens the need for guns for now.

There are spots in the game where the walkers are relatively contained, like the diner in Fontana (walkers can't open those blue doors, save for a couple scripted moments) or when you gather your stolen inventory after obtaining the crossbow, and walkers pour in.

Often times I'll save my firearms for the end of certain levels, like coming out of the ranger station in Garwater or shooting my way through the morgue in the Cleburne hospital.

One of the first survivors you encounter is also one of the first you'll want to save to the end.... if you rescue Jimmy Blake, the cop from the rooftop in Sedalia, you'll unlock a perk that starts you off with both a silenced pistol and a silenced rifle, which really add a fun dynamic as you can pop em off with ease and not stir up a crowd. Just gotta watch that ammo supply!
#5bleeding_violetPosted 5/20/2013 1:44:50 AM
Alot of times if you shoot the guns off strategically you can be on top of a truck or car somewhere and draw out all of the walkers from where you want to go so you don't have to stealth kill them and jump off the car over their heads run over to the next cutscene door where they CANNOT follow after you and not be ambushed by walkers that are waiting inside of a building or where ever you are going.

Plus for me its just fun getting into a fight with a bunch of walkers and still managing to pull out the win.

Say you use this idea of jumping on a car to shoot guns and draw walkers out of their hiding places you can then shoot the zombies in the head with crossbow bolts and retrieve the bolts from them as they are either falling or as they lay dead on the ground afterwards without drawing out even more spawing zombies that aren't already in the level UNLESS you shoot to make them magically appear.
#6David_Mills7Posted 5/24/2013 2:13:00 PM
Well you need them for some of the achievements.

But other than that, I used them when I was getting swarmed. I'd get a little breathing room so I could run and hide while things cool down. The Crossbow is awesome though.
More topics from this board...
stuck walkers keep comingrysteve110/23 3:19PM