So if go in to this thinking its bad and..

#1kennyynnooPosted 7/21/2013 6:03:24 AM
Having not yet seen the show, next month I will watch all of them, is this game ok? I enjoy left for dead, state of decay, I saw this and it looks alight. I don't expect to be blown away. Is it really short? I'm not a run through it gamer. Everyone is expecting a good game based on the show for reviews but if this wasn't titled the walking dead and was a zombie game is it a little fun?
---
PSN-S30andz32
360-Z32andS30
#2bleeding_violetPosted 7/21/2013 9:04:43 PM
I liked it because it was a Walking Dead Game and also because it was not.

Everyone expected to pick this game up expecting it to be just like COD or Halo only with zombies and Walking Dead characters. For most people because that is what they want IN ANY FIRST PERSON SHOOTING GAME, they were really nerd raging hardcore. For people like me who love the Walking Dead and don't play or even enjoy those games at all I was really happy the way it turned out.

If you expect it to be bad thats fine. I love the graphics and prefer them to previously mentioned shooters but most people swore this could have been done on a Playstation one. That is nowhere near true but it really doesn't matter WHAT they think. It all comes down to whether or not you think you will enjoy it. The story isn't as deep as a game based on this show maybe could have been but whats there is fun and engaging.

Also the main problem for anyone other than graphics (which I totally disagree with I still think they are great and represent the feeling and color scheme of the show great) is the Artificial Intelligence of the Walkers. While some people think it is terrible (and there are some videos on YouTube of buggy playthroughs that support this theory.) I think its up to you whether you want a zombie that performs like a mix between a track field star and a rocket scientist or not but I prefer that they have no real human intelligence or super human physical abilities other than the abilities they have in the show. They aren't very fast or smart at all JUST LIKE THE SHOW. But one thing that was really kind of weird and annoying at first until you get used to it, is the zombie grapple feature. They basically surround you in a herd and take turns biting you where all you can do is move your controller and stab them in the head with your knife. The others will not attack you until after you kill the one that is grabbing you. So thats kind of unrealistic but its a videogame. To me that is the only thing that ever really bothered me about this game.

It doesn't last a long time. You can pass it in one sitting in about 4 to 8 hours for the first campaign. You can make all the choices to go to other destinations on your main route in the next playthrough.

Overall I love the game but when its comes to FPSs I'm not a fan of most of them anyways sooo I may not be the best person to give you advice. If you can rent it first you should. If you can find it cheap then there is nothing to worry about. There is alot of fun to be found in this game as long as you're not wanting to play Halo or COD and thats all you like playing you might like this game. Walking Dead fan or not. If you hate the Walking Dead its hard to recommend because you won't like it no matter how good the game is. But you said you haven't seen it yet so .......... I hope you like it.
#3kennyynnoo(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2013 3:47:55 AM
Saw gamestop had it for $20, like it so far. A little scare factor but I find it to be good far from great. Glad I tried it and for $20 I like it, I prefer single player anyways so I don't mind that part.
---
PSN-S30andz32
360-Z32andS30
#4bhamacukPosted 7/29/2013 11:40:33 AM
Put it this way I am a zombie gamer veteran, I've played Resident Evil since PS1, L4D, Dead Rising, Dead Island etc, but no other zombie game has filled me with dread, made me feel tense and nervous like Survival Instinct.

It's due to the fact that you can get killed easily and even two or three zombie can take you down, so you really need to be stealthy and not alert them to your presence just like the show. Hearing the groans of the walkers close by is really frightening, ha, ha!

Sure they could've made a much more polished end product but I enjoyed it enough to complete it four times, and I've still kept it rather than traded it in which I often do with my completed games.

I think you have to be a fan of the show to appreciate it and overlook the negative aspects of the game. They've done a good job of recreating the look and feel of the show.

Everytime you complete the game under certain conditions you unlock relics which alter the way you play the game on the next playthrough.

The ultimate unlock is unlimited ammo but silenced weapons and also having the crossbow from the start are fun ways to replay.

I'm sure there will be another Walking Dead game in the future that will be much more like the show, but accept this game for what it is and you'll get some enjoyment out of it.
#5bhamacukPosted 7/29/2013 11:55:40 AM
kennyynnoo posted...
but if this wasn't titled the walking dead and was a zombie game is it a little fun?

Going into it as a Walking Dead game does make it more acceptable and forgiving. If it wasn't related to that show in any way and just another zombie game, the experience would be marred somewhat by its failings and lack of polish. You need to get into the Walking Dead mindset when you're playing this game to appreciate it.

I didn't watch the show until a couple of months back when a friend lent me the dvd of series 1 and 2. I was hooked from the start and devoured the entire series in a couple of nights. Which is saying something because I rarely have time for watching TV. I adore the show now.
#6FredCat07Posted 8/5/2013 1:33:42 AM
kennyynnoo posted...
Saw gamestop had it for $20, like it so far. A little scare factor but I find it to be good far from great. Glad I tried it and for $20 I like it, I prefer single player anyways so I don't mind that part.

I got it $31 Used. But at least I prepared my wallet beforehand.
---
American Sign Language is my primary language - deal with it!
"ESL" is standing for "English Sign Language", period.
#7kennyynnoo(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2013 3:15:11 AM
It's not a bad game, I enjoy state of decay more for the same price. A little to linear for my liking, feels like left for dead but slowed down. It's worth $20, I wouldn't be happy if I payer more probably, that's just me personally.
---
PSN-S30andz32
360-Z32andS30