In need of fighting tips

#1Kyo8611Posted 7/2/2014 4:21:32 PM
So I just tried playing online for the first time in this game(yeah, I know I'm late) and pretty much got my butt handed to me....badly. I mean, I got beat down worse then any other fighting game I ever played which was pretty shameful and embarrassing for a semi-hardcore fighting gamer like me.

That being said, I have a few questions:

First of all, anyone have any good fighting tips for Shikamaru..? He's my favorite character so I really would like to get good with him.

Second, is there any website I can go to, like a forum website or something, where I can read hardcore fighters' tips and strategies for the fighting in this game?

I also noticed people online can combo in their awakened status...how exactly is this done? My game didn't come with a manual and I'll admit I'm still very green with the fighting mechanics in this game. There are still a lot of things I'm unaware of.

Another thing I noticed is that sometimes my substitution jutsu can sometimes be useless...like I'll disappear and reappear behind my opponent while they're in a combo and somehow, they end up right back in my face again not even a split second after...is there a way to counter that..?

Yeah I know, I'm a noob. I really want to get better at this game though, so any help would be great.
---
PSN: Lonewolf8611
#2Simon_PetrikovPosted 7/2/2014 7:31:12 PM
You should bring this topic to the Revolution board, as it's actually active.
---
~The (N)ice King~
http://i.imgur.com/V0NMmmo.png
#3SuperVegito2487Posted 7/3/2014 2:39:46 PM
Simon_Petrikov posted...

yeah but the hate is getting disgusting...

if you dont like the demo then why not just leave?? it aint gonna change gameplay wise...
sigh...
---
L.J.Gibbs: Rule 42:
"Never accept an apology from someone who just sucker punched you."
#4sonicdude97Posted 7/3/2014 6:29:52 PM
I think, although i wouldn't claim to be a pro, i may be able to help you out.

First off, with shikamaru, the best way i personally found to play as him is to usually stay mid range and use tilt or ninjutsu. the normal combos can be quite difficult to land due to how his first hit has very little range. Unfortunately, i dont usually play as shikamaru, so thats all i have there.

Second, Google. XD

Third, combos in awakened status, i assume you mean doing a combo and awaking in the middle. If this is the case, then they are instant awakening. You can do this in the middle of a combo, but only certain characters can do this(Shikamaru is not one of these characters) and is activated by moving the right stick fully in one direction. i usually flick up, and as for the characters, i dont know all of them.

And finally, the substitution problem. I assume the case is you;ll substitute and they will just dash toward, meaning they're chakra dashing to get to you. if so, the solution can be to chakra dash backward right after you substitute, as your dash will send you out of their dashes range, or dash toward them with your own dash to cancel both out, then guard if they try a second one. You could also possibly hit them with an attack as they dash, but thats usually a very rare case, and the dashing is safer.

Thats all i got, if you have any other questions, ill see what i can do.
#5Kyo8611(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2014 4:46:37 AM
sonicdude97 posted...
I think, although i wouldn't claim to be a pro, i may be able to help you out.

First off, with shikamaru, the best way i personally found to play as him is to usually stay mid range and use tilt or ninjutsu. the normal combos can be quite difficult to land due to how his first hit has very little range. Unfortunately, i dont usually play as shikamaru, so thats all i have there.

Second, Google. XD

Third, combos in awakened status, i assume you mean doing a combo and awaking in the middle. If this is the case, then they are instant awakening. You can do this in the middle of a combo, but only certain characters can do this(Shikamaru is not one of these characters) and is activated by moving the right stick fully in one direction. i usually flick up, and as for the characters, i dont know all of them.

And finally, the substitution problem. I assume the case is you;ll substitute and they will just dash toward, meaning they're chakra dashing to get to you. if so, the solution can be to chakra dash backward right after you substitute, as your dash will send you out of their dashes range, or dash toward them with your own dash to cancel both out, then guard if they try a second one. You could also possibly hit them with an attack as they dash, but thats usually a very rare case, and the dashing is safer.

Thats all i got, if you have any other questions, ill see what i can do.

Thanks for the tips :)

Yeah, I found out about the instant awakening and how to do them shortly after posting and was very disappointed to find out that Shikamaru couldn't do it(yet Ino can..? Yeah, that makes sense *sarcasm* :/). I also found out about the chakra cancelling trick to counter substitutions, which is a useful trick, but breaks the game's fighting mechanics imo.

After figuring this stuff out and doing some practice for a bit, I tried online again. I did better my second run around, but the only fight I was about to win, the dude dced :/. Everyone else that plays ranked, I've noticed, either uses characters that can instant awaken or characters with OP awakenings(like toby/madara's invincible mode or Neji's byakugan mode that destroys your chakra meter) and they only seem to use specific support characters with OP support attacks that are annoying or hard to dodge or substitute from(ie: Neji, Hinata or Kimimaro). So basically what I learned from playing online is: people exploit the game's OP characters/moves just to win. Lol.

Sucks being a Shikamaru player myself, when up against these other characters who can use moves/game mechanics that I can't and have much better combos/ninjutsus, it's super tough. I've come pretty close to winning a few times, even against some of the high ranked players, which I think is an accomplishment considering how gimpy Shikamaru is when compared to characters like Toby, Madara and Naruto, etc. Though I don't want to switch characters since Shikamaru is my fav of the series, so I just bared with it.

Still, was wondering if anyone wanted to help me get the online trophies/titles at least. I also have Ultimate Storm 2 and also need the trophies/titles for that game too. I'll help whoever helps me in exchange with the same, my PSN is in my signature if anyone would like to help with this. :)
---
#6Kyo8611(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2014 4:54:54 AM
wait...ARE there online trophies?? I just checked the cheats section and didn't see any online trophies on there lol. Well, I still got part 2 and I know that one requires online trophies to platinum, so hit me up if anyone else needs em too. xD
---
#7ArmorWolfHeartPosted 7/5/2014 3:03:46 AM
I've fought a couple of Shikamaru players that were just amazing... Idk how they did it.
You might be able to do a jump to the side after the first hit of your tilt to cancel the ending lag but I'm not sure. Quite a few characters can do that and/or cancel the tilt with a Shuriken.
Shikamaru' one of my favorite characters too, but I don't know how to use him well (I play Kisame, Zabuza, and Utakata). However, I do know some general tips that may help.
There are a couple of things you can do if you happen to predict when an opponent is going to substitute.
You can throw a Shuriken, which is pretty risky due to the fact that they may Chakra Dash, but it worked for me in Generations where Kisame was too slow to even combo off his own Chakra Dash... smh.
What I do quite often is jump in the middle of the combo. From there you could do a Chakra Dash to punish the Substitution before they can dash.
Speaking of jumping, if the opponent is blocking, attacking a bit then jumping and doing your aerial attack then starting the combo over again may do you some good. It helps me a lot. If they're not blocking, doing a few hits then jumping and doing an air combo (gotta be kinda fast) will get you a bit of extra damage.
I hope nothing I said came off as ambiguous or vague :T
---
Top 10 VG Characters: Armor King, Wolf O'Donnell, Bowser, Bang, Vector The Crocodile, Kisame, Dabura, Rocket Raccoon, Golbez, Piccolo. (no order)
#8Kyo8611(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2014 3:16:16 PM
Hmm...cancelling the tilt combo huh? I'll have to practice that. By doing a jump attack mid combo, do you mean jump and tap X twice to dash in, or just jump and start attacking?
---
#9ArmorWolfHeartPosted 7/6/2014 1:17:58 AM
The latter.
---
Top 10 VG Characters: Armor King, Wolf O'Donnell, Bowser, Bang, Vector The Crocodile, Kisame, Dabura, Rocket Raccoon, Golbez, Piccolo. (no order)
#10HidanFTWPosted 7/14/2014 6:34:08 PM
Simon_Petrikov posted...

Totally untrue. That board is more dead than road kill... hardly any new topics anymore. :/ I'm guessing the hype has died as well.
---
Official Hidan of the Naruto Ultimate Nina Storm 3 Board