They need to input race specific skills or different stats

#1kevtaylor85Posted 2/23/2013 10:29:33 AM
Like ffxi or wow, or a mix of two, maybe that way we'll see more dedicated players to their jobs, where at first , when you choose your race, it does matter, not only an esthetic character.
#2DamageDealerzPosted 2/23/2013 10:39:10 AM
kevtaylor85 posted...
Like ffxi or wow, or a mix of two, maybe that way we'll see more dedicated players to their jobs, where at first , when you choose your race, it does matter, not only an esthetic character.

I'm not against the idea of races having certain racials that benefit their character in some way, but it shouldn't be anything ground breaking to deter people from picking a certain race based on their job preferences. For example, it was idiotic in FFXI for Galka's to have a horrible MP pool when one would want to play a mage class, on the other hand, I don't mind the racials in WoW which really have no significant effect on the class you want to play.
---
5/18/09 First_Prototype, 1/8/08 Hyperteen, 10/5/10 jayyedX, 3/7/11 Julian___Maze, 4/5/12 lukestarkiller4, all lost account bets and followed through
#3Maxo996Posted 2/23/2013 10:41:09 AM
Yeah, I agree, like XI's stat-differences, but not as severe. The difference from HP and MP especially from a Taru to a Galka was too diverse imo. I don't know where XIV stands on this issue right now but even if we knew it could change during Beta~
---
Hi. How ya' doin'?
#4ChiBearsFan1Posted 2/23/2013 12:59:26 PM
I disagree. You should be able to be whatever race you want without worrying about stats. Especially in a game like xiv where one character can be every class. Dont want to see endgame situations like "LOL you cant join if you want to play a <insert class> as <insert race>, that race is only allowed to be<insert class>". And you all know that is exactly what would happen.
#5TaintedSeraphimPosted 2/23/2013 1:05:10 PM(edited)
Given how extreme and anal people can get about character stats, having any stat difference at all between races would be a bad idea in my opinion, as players would then feel compelled to play certain races for a particular class. This is especially problematic when we take into account the fact that you can switch classes in this game, so you typically won't create a new character for every class you level. Well, I guess you could still do that, but people generally aren't going to.

However, having racial abilities like in WoW wouldn't be so bad, as those typically don't have any significant impact on how well each race can preform each class.
---
Guild Wars 2: Maphesdus || Stormbluff Isle
World of Warcraft: Hazumu || Proudmoore
#6jo_sean06Posted 2/23/2013 1:06:10 PM
I don't agree. That's one thing I liked about FFXIV and their races. All races could be any class/job. The stat difference came from your own stat distribution and gear customization.

I always wanted to be a tarutaru, but didn't want to choose the typical mage clsss because of it's stat pool.

But race specific skills could add something to the table. But not too much where you still would have to choose a specific race that will be dedicated to a specific class/job.

Everyone already has their main class/job. Gear takes a while to get it perfect for each class/job. It does come in handy when you're doing quests that you can change classes/jobs on the fly. Most likely that other class/job will not be as effective as the someone else's main.
---
Currently playing: Ni no Kuni (9/10!) Anticipating: Type-0, Xillia
#7The Sixth ChildPosted 2/23/2013 1:11:10 PM
ChiBearsFan1 posted...
I disagree. You should be able to be whatever race you want without worrying about stats. Especially in a game like xiv where one character can be every class. Dont want to see endgame situations like "LOL you cant join if you want to play a <insert class> as <insert race>, that race is only allowed to be<insert class>". And you all know that is exactly what would happen.

This 100000x over
---
"The Agriculture Ministry is not in charge of Gundam," said ministry official Tsutomu Shimomura.
- Agriculture Ministry, Japan Associated Press
#8xenosaga123Posted 2/23/2013 1:42:29 PM
TC's idea would just boost discrimination and elitist perspective of what classes a race should focus on.
#9TanthalasPosted 2/23/2013 2:32:45 PM
I honestly hope that there'll at least be a minimal difference in stats between the races.
---
Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
#10MasterthiefPosted 2/23/2013 2:44:07 PM
xenosaga123 posted...
TC's idea would just boost discrimination and elitist perspective of what classes a race should focus on.

RPGs have been doing it for years, it's not that big a deal, it defines a race besides cosmetics. I'm not arguing for it, just defending it.
---
PSN - Ferkomatic