Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn FAQs

#21zazz9Posted 3/5/2013 1:08:59 PMmessage detail
TaintedSeraphim posted...
Actually, no, it's not subjective at all. It's entirely objective. There is no logical advantage whatsoever that is provided by the ability to play multiple jobs on the same character.

I am going to add the biggest advantage playing multiple jobs will mostly in the form of PvP.

Imagine you are on a 2600 WoW team doing Warrior/Druid but you want to switch your comp to Rogue/Priest. In WoW.... you can't do that... without making another character and starting from scratch.

Imagine you are on a ranked team in SWTOR but you want to change from a Pyro to a Operative.... again... can't do it... without making another character and starting from scratch.

Now we haven't seen PvP at all yet in FF14 obviously.... and will not know if it will even be fun/worthwhile to do.

But I can imagine having a top ranked PvP team of any of those other games and being able to switch to any other job would be fantastic.
---
http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/12003_322bd612e8d4f596.png
#22TaintedSeraphimPosted 3/5/2013 5:38:14 PMmessage detail
@ zazz9

You have listed some very real advantages regarding job switching. Perhaps the only person I've ever seen who was able to do so. However, I will purport that job switching is not the only way to bestow those advantages which you listed, but rather is simply the only way that has been attempted by any MMO thus far.

Items, Equipment, Currency, Rankings, and Achievements are all things which could be made account bound rather than character bound. Granted, no MMO has ever done that, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
---
Guild Wars 2: Maphesdus || Stormbluff Isle
World of Warcraft: Hazumu || Proudmoore
#23LykainPosted 3/8/2013 9:01:17 AMmessage detail
Tainted, I'd like to point out that every single reason you can possibly have for preferring to make extra characters (on the same server, with no extra cost) is using the 100% exact same logic that applies to every single reason that somebody can have for preferring the FFXI and FFXIV system of having everything doable on 1 character (as far as I'm aware it's never been stated that you can't switch allegiances/grand companies/whatever to take part in all of the story, so that's a distinct possibility).

Let's reminisce shall we?

Ah, the classic logical fallacy of the FFXI fanboys. When will you people learn that there are other reasons for wanting to level multiple characters besides simply playing another job?

And? You can still do that on FFXIV, it just requires paying extra per month or playing those other characters on different servers. The system would be "perfect" if it's exactly the same way it is now except there were no additional costs for extra characters per server.

Technically, you don't NEED to level more than one class in other MMOs.

Just like you don't NEED to play more than 1 character, some people just like to. In fact, it seems that less people prefer to make extra characters than those who prefer to play extra classes, therefore the FFXIV system is the most advantageous here.

Also, other MMOs allow me to make as many characters I want at no extra cost, so there's no disadvantage to creating a new character for each job in those other games. No offense to you personally. I'm just sick and tired of people saying that being able to level multiple jobs on the same character provides some kind of advantage. It doesn't.

It provides exactly the same advantages that the WoW system does: Personal preference. I very much enjoy playing different classes, I strongly dislike starting a new character on WoW despite this, I don't dislike switching to a new class to level on FFXI (and of course also won't on FFXIV). Ergo, there's an advantage. There's also the minor addition that the FFXIV system will have a larger number of "good" character names still available when you make yours, because there will be a smaller number of characters per server. I hate having to think up new names for characters.

Actually, no, it's not subjective at all. It's entirely objective. There is no logical advantage whatsoever that is provided by the ability to play multiple jobs on the same character. The only thing it does for you is allow you to form a deeper attachment to a single character, which is an emotional reason, and not a logical one.

And there is no logical advantage whatsoever in the lack of the ability to play multiple jobs on the same character. There isn't even an emotional reason, unlike with FFXIV's system.

And you can still have access to all the game's jobs in other MMOs. Granted, doing so requires you to make additional characters, but given that there is no extra fee associated with creating extra characters in other MMOs, the fact that you must do so cannot be called a disadvantage.

There's a disadvantage in the fact that many people would prefer not to do that. Exactly the same disadvantage in FFXIV's system (some people would prefer not to use the same character).
#24LykainPosted 3/8/2013 9:01:30 AMmessage detail
However, I will purport that job switching is not the only way to bestow those advantages which you listed, but rather is simply the only way that has been attempted by any MMO thus far.

Items, Equipment, Currency, Rankings, and Achievements are all things which could be made account bound rather than character bound. Granted, no MMO has ever done that, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Very true, the system could be drastically improved to ensure that there is no drawback whatsoever from using multiple characters. In exactly the same vein as the fact that FFXIV's system could be improved to ensure that there is no drawback whatsoever.

In summary:
No MMO has a system that is flawless. All of them could be greatly improved upon. If you take part in a discussion and use your personal opinion as fact, or use the fact that changes could be made to the game to remove any disadvantages, then you have no argument.

The 1 and only thing that can be compared is the current system in place in the MMOs on the market. Based on what has been said across several forums and in dozens (if not hundreds) of threads, the majority of people who have commented on it, prefer being able to switch classes on 1 character. If that is the case, then that would mean FFXIV has a better system (although not perfect) than any MMO that requires you to start a new character if you want to play a different class.

Tainted, you clearly prefer WoW's system (which again isn't close to being perfect). Why can't you admit that it's just your preference, not a fact, and that based on the number of people who agree with you compared to the number of people who disagree with you, you're in the minority in that regard? There's nothing wrong with thinking differently to other people, just be grown-up enough to not claim it as fact.
#25TaintedSeraphimPosted 3/8/2013 10:28:47 PMmessage detail(edited)
Honestly, it just kind of irritates me that everyone keeps going on and on about how great it is being able to switch jobs, but never giving any consideration whatsoever to any of the problems that job switching creates.

First off, inventory space becomes a huge issue. We saw this in Version 1.0 and FFXI, in which the problem of limited inventory space was far worse than it was in any other MMO. Now granted, ARR does seem to have a work-around that both Version 1.0 and FFXI didn't have, which is that equipped items don't take up inventory space, and each job can have one set of stored equipment that is separate from your inventory. However, this still doesn't address the issue of having multiple sets of equipment for each job, which is something we will undoubtedly see. Mules can help alleviate this somewhat, but then there is the problem of having to pay extra money for mules if you want them to be on the same server (which they have to be, if you want to use them as mules and not simply alts). Though I personally have Legacy status, so I'll be paying a flat rate of $9.99 no matter what, but I still oppose the idea of paying for multiple characters in principle, even if I myself am exempt from it.

And second, you will eventually run out of quests to level off of (my guess is this will happen after you've maxed two or three jobs), and once there are no more quests, you will have to resort to other methods of leveling which may not be nearly as fun or entertaining (the thought of FFXI-style camping parties makes me shudder).

If you want to talk about the benefits of job switching, go right ahead, But please, don't ignore the drawbacks in the process.
---
#26kamikaze135(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 7:48:52 AMmessage detail
Don't forget about retainers. They can hold 200 items and you can hire more than one at a time. Also, IIRC, we're not limited to just one set per class. I recall Yoshida saying we can get access additional "loadouts" for preset gear. Though even if we don't, the retainer system works well.

And second, you will eventually run out of quests to level off of (my guess is this will happen after you've maxed two or three jobs), and once there are no more quests, you will have to resort to other methods of leveling which may not be nearly as fun or entertaining (the thought of FFXI-style camping parties makes me shudder).

Leve quests, Grand Company quests (not sure if they count as leves in ARR), bestiary, and FATEs are there to prevent that. Yoshida also aid that grinding in dungeons is very effective....so there's that. So because of these things, you'll never run out of quests. And don't forget that each city is home to several classes (unlike other mmos) and with that taken into consideration, there will be more than enough quests to go around.

For those wondering how you're going to level with the bestiary:
For those playing solo, there will be quests, guildleves, as well as some other casual content we have planned, such as the "bestiary."
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#27LykainPosted 3/9/2013 12:34:21 PMmessage detail
Honestly, it just kind of irritates me that everyone keeps going on and on about how great it is being able to switch jobs, but never giving any consideration whatsoever to any of the problems that job switching creates.

First off, inventory space becomes a huge issue. We saw this in Version 1.0 and FFXI, in which the problem of limited inventory space was far worse than it was in any other MMO. Now granted, ARR does seem to have a work-around that both Version 1.0 and FFXI didn't have, which is that equipped items don't take up inventory space, and each job can have one set of stored equipment that is separate from your inventory. However, this still doesn't address the issue of having multiple sets of equipment for each job, which is something we will undoubtedly see. Mules can help alleviate this somewhat, but then there is the problem of having to pay extra money for mules if you want them to be on the same server (which they have to be, if you want to use them as mules and not simply alts). Though I personally have Legacy status, so I'll be paying a flat rate of $9.99 no matter what, but I still oppose the idea of paying for multiple characters in principle, even if I myself am exempt from it.

If you want to talk about the benefits of job switching, go right ahead, But please, don't ignore the drawbacks in the process.

I'm not sure you read my previous posts and actually understood the point.

Being able to switch classes on 1 character can not possibly be a drawback by itself. It's impossible. It only adds a feature, doesn't remove anything.

The fact that SE have decided to charge extra if you want to make more than 1 character per server, however, is definitely a problem (although personally I don't mind since I only plan to have 1, I understand that other people would be upset about that).

Tainted, try to provide even 1 small reason why my next statement is incorrect: The absolute perfect system in an MMO (based on any ideas that have ever been implemented and will likely be implemented in the near future) will include being able to switch between all classes on 1 character. This is undeniable.

Do you want to know why that's correct? It's because there are no drawbacks to it. Shocking, huh?

Every single reason you can possibly find for preferring not to be able to switch classes on characters, has a fix that is much better than removing the ability to switch classes.

Extra monthly cost for more characters? Remove the extra cost. Much better.

Inventory space issues? Provide ways to alleviate that (which FFXIV seems to be doing). Much better.

Not being able to see all of the story? Allow you to switch allegiances to take part in all of it (possibly will be able to). Much better.

Running out of quests? Either add varying ways to level that are equal to or more efficient than questing that you can't "run out" of (which it seems FFXIV has done very well), or make it so that quests are saved per class and switching class then allows you to repeat quests you already completed on another class. Much better.

etc. etc.

Now, the best way an MMO like WoW can possibly alleviate the problems it has (as previously stated)... allow people to switch classes. WoW's system can't possibly be perfect unless it allows class switching, because no matter what you do to make things (gear, arena teams etc.) transfer across characters, there will still always be the disadvantage of having to make new characters when a lot of people would prefer not to.
#28LykainPosted 3/9/2013 12:34:27 PMmessage detail
So, with all that out of the way, I'll reiterate a statement I've previously made:
The 1 and only thing that can be compared is the current system in place in the MMOs on the market.

Tainted, nobody is saying that FFXIV is perfect. It's not. They are saying, however, that they like being able to switch classes on one character, as do I. And it seems that the majority of us would prefer that, even at the cost of $2 more per month if we end up wanting to have alts on the same server.

It seems you disagree. Okay. Although what you're actually saying is that you don't think people should have to pay extra for alts on the same server (which I agree with). Not once have you stated a reason for disliking being able to switch classes.
#29TaintedSeraphimPosted 3/9/2013 12:59:55 PMmessage detail
Lykain posted...
Being able to switch classes on 1 character can not possibly be a drawback by itself. It's impossible. It only adds a feature, doesn't remove anything.

You don't necessarily have to remove anything to create a drawback. Sometimes drawbacks can be created by adding things. A drawback simply means that there's a negative impact, not that anything was removed.

Lykain posted...
Every single reason you can possibly find for preferring not to be able to switch classes on characters, has a fix that is much better than removing the ability to switch classes.

I'm fine with that. As long as you're willing to suggest an actual solution to the problem rather than simply denying the problem exists, then we're good.
---
#30kamikaze135(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 2:05:07 PMmessage detail
I'm fine with that. As long as you're willing to suggest an actual solution to the problem rather than simply denying the problem exists, then we're good.

What problem is that?
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden