Summoner

#1LucytenshiPosted 6/1/2013 1:34:47 PM
So do we have any info on what role a summoner will play in this?

I think a lot of people here remember how they were in FFXI...

In 14 do we know which role they play and if not, what role would you want! them to play.

Healer
DD
Solo (Beastmaster)
Support (buffs / debuffs)
an all round class not great at anything but with utility.

And would you want the Summons to be as challenging to obtain as they were in XI or just something you learn from a quest chain at the required level.
---
If youre committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.Saul
#2Guilty_CrownPosted 6/1/2013 1:36:27 PM
From what we know, primarily Debuffing/DoT, with some tanking abilities through the summoned pet.
---
Anime of the Year: 2011 and 2012
#3angermngment101Posted 6/1/2013 1:40:56 PM
in FFXI I remember summoner was more of a support role, or more all around. You could have some great utility, or great burst with your 2H.

It was a pretty versatile job, but it wasnt popular.
---
Gamefax
#4Lucytenshi(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2013 1:47:52 PM
angermngment101 posted...
It was a pretty versatile job, but it wasnt popular.

It was insanely hard to level, no one wanted to bring in a Summoner, at least on my server (Fairy) By the time I quit I had every job at 60-75 and Summoner was easily the longest to level for me.

I just hope they give it a very credible role in FFXIV so people don't treat it as "Oh no healers!! Damn grab the summoner I guess..."
---
If youre committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.Saul
#5KanstarPosted 6/1/2013 2:02:57 PM
I was a career SMN in 11 had +1 gear from abyssea and max staff for Garuda with the weaponskill from Nyzul Isle that debuffs defense by 10%. It was a great class but really shined with the right abyssite, predator claw for 7k anyone?
#6Lucytenshi(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2013 2:07:07 PM
Kanstar posted...
I was a career SMN in 11 had +1 gear from abyssea and max staff for Garuda with the weaponskill from Nyzul Isle that debuffs defense by 10%. It was a great class but really shined with the right abyssite, predator claw for 7k anyone?

Yeah end game is where Summoner came into it's own by how do you enjoy leveling when you were always just a White mage wannabe :P

I just hope it isn't like that in 14.

People has said a Dotter that sounds pretty cool I guess. I was hoping we would just be a buffing class with DPS through our summons (Like Bard with their Bows.)
---
#7BeefyNukesPosted 6/1/2013 2:10:44 PM
Jobs really don't act the same way they did in XI.

Summons aren't looking like they're going to be a "pet" class.

But we won't know for sure until E3, when they're showing that and Scholar off. Well, they said E3 for Scholar >_> I assume they also meant SMN.
#8EtharinPosted 6/1/2013 2:18:56 PM
I think it won't be a pet class like the FFXI summoner was but more in line with the traditional summoners like most of the Final Fantasy series where you just cast a summon and it does something awesome then goes away until you recast it.

So buffs/debuffs and special attacks with summons while using DoTs from the Arcanist abilities. I doubt summoner will be pigeonholed into a healing class since it probably won't have more than one heal from a special summon but will be able to prevent damage or aoe stoneskin or something. Scholar on the other hand will probably be the healing capable job branch of Arcanist.
#9ShojiJasonPosted 6/1/2013 2:45:58 PM
The Arcanist's Carbunkle is persistent. We know that much for certain. It is therefore likely that the Summoner-specific summons will also be persistent, since they lose access to Carbunkle.
---
Some say that pirates steal and should be feared and hated. I say we're victims of bad press, it's all exaggerated.
#10primusninePosted 6/1/2013 6:24:41 PM
ShojiJason posted...
The Arcanist's Carbunkle is persistent. We know that much for certain. It is therefore likely that the Summoner-specific summons will also be persistent, since they lose access to Carbunkle.

If not, it might work like Yuna in 012: Dissidia. Summon them for an attack, they kinda half appear and do something, then vanish.
---
"i've had sex with a chick who was a psy major, so yeah i think i know what aspergers is" -LiquidFuze180