RIP Warrior! Warrior is a tank now but not deal damager anymore.

#51TanthalasPosted 6/13/2013 10:31:21 AM
I was wondering why this topic got so many posts while I slept.

As a guy that actually played WAR in FFXI until mid-WotG, WAR was a DD that could tank, but wasn't anywhere near to being a desired tank at end-game.

I think its ridiculous that some of you are trying to argue that WAR/NINs were capable tanks considering that at end-game, PLD/NINs were basically the most common tanks (and they actually had hate-tools to use). You're certainly not keeping hate on a HNM with Provoke every 15 seconds and your damage (unless you're going to tell me that you used the elemental wheel for hate).

WAR/NIN tanks for endgame tanking not only were clearly a lot worse than PLDs (and this includes more than PLD/NIN, there was also at least PLD/RDM to use too) and NINs, they were clearly outshined by RDMs too (which were also great tanks for endgame). Hell, I'd go as far as say that DRK/NINs could outperform WAR/NINs at tanking, they probably had more hate tools than WARs.

Yes, Warriors in FFXI were supposed to be tanks, but they ended up as DDs because of the lack of hate-tools compared to actual tanking classes.
---
Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
#52MagustheHagusPosted 6/13/2013 10:39:16 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#53benjjjaminPosted 6/13/2013 11:48:41 AM
Look at the poll asking what job people are levelling to 50 first. Warrior is dead last. Double the amount of people wanting to level warrior first...and it is still dead last.

The people know warrior's inevitable fate here. It easily stands to be the game's first 2nd class job.
---
If Square pulls off this reboot of FF14, it'll be the biggest comeback in videogaming since the first Final Fantasy.
#54Ninjapleas3Posted 6/13/2013 12:04:22 PM
I don't know why you all are preaching fire and brimstone. Warriors and paladins can still be perfectly equal. WoW was able to balance 4 completely different tanks.

Paladin has a shield that mitigates damage, warrior gains armor buffs that mitigates damage.

Or

Paladin has healing spells,.warrior weapon skills heal or give damage shields etc

Warrior does more damage but paladin gives his party a damage buff.

There are numerous ways to balance the two classes and hopefully SE can do that with the help of the beta testers.
#55AnghellicKarmaPosted 6/13/2013 12:47:33 PM
AnghellicKarma posted...
XCrimsonSamurai posted...
Perhaps I missed something, but what makes you think this?

Didn't see this answered anywhere yet.

Still nothing. Just a war between people over nothing.
#56zazz9Posted 6/13/2013 3:04:08 PM
I really wouldn't listen to Benj or Bremen. I really doubt either played much FF14. Warriors have always been the best tank... and only at the very end at Nael van Darnus hard/Ifrit Extreme did a Paladin even become desirable. This wasn't even a close contest... War >>>>>>>>>>>>> Pal at tanking in FF14 1.0.

They can talk about FF11 all they want... hey I just played FF1 twice now and my War was the best DD and tank at the same time... yup.... my FF1 comments are so valid for ARR. I just want to point out Warriors and Redmages are OP in FF1... yup.
---
http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/12003_322bd612e8d4f596.png
#57DamageDealerzPosted 6/13/2013 3:08:42 PM
zazz9 posted...
I really wouldn't listen to Benj or Bremen. I really doubt either played much FF14. Warriors have always been the best tank... and only at the very end at Nael van Darnus hard/Ifrit Extreme did a Paladin even become desirable. This wasn't even a close contest... War >>>>>>>>>>>>> Pal at tanking in FF14 1.0.

They can talk about FF11 all they want... hey I just played FF1 twice now and my War was the best DD and tank at the same time... yup.... my FF1 comments are so valid for ARR. I just want to point out Warriors and Redmages are OP in FF1... yup.

You clearly did not read this topic what-so-ever.

The discussion at hand is only about FFXI Warrior. Not once was FF14 part of the conversation between Benj/Bremen/and the dude they're arguing with. Nice try though?
---
5/18/09 First_Prototype, 1/8/08 Hyperteen, 10/5/10 jayyedX, 3/7/11 Julian___Maze, 4/5/12 lukestarkiller4, all lost account bets and followed through
#58Just JoePosted 6/13/2013 3:26:17 PM
they were clearly outshined by RDMs too (which were also great tanks for endgame).

They actually made it that far? I knew they had the potential for some tanking, but I never actually tried it- much more comfortable healing in that game. I miss my RDM. =/

---
~R.I.P. Reggie White #92~ NYY: 037 - 028
Mister, mister, have you seen my mad skills?? *proceeds to beat box furiously*- Dodavion 2000-2001.
#59benjjjaminPosted 6/13/2013 3:28:06 PM
Marauder/warrior was my main class. I had an Engraved Bhuj+3, the first BIS gaxe in the game. Probably the 2nd or 3rd one in the world.

The class slowly went from the heaviest damage per swing in the game to a 2nd fiddle to archer, to a 2nd fiddle to all the dd, to 2nd fiddle in the two biggest fights in the game in the remaining thing it was good at.

I'm embarrassed at what it is now. As a FFXI warrior and a FF14 warrior.
---
If Square pulls off this reboot of FF14, it'll be the biggest comeback in videogaming since the first Final Fantasy.
#60bremenPosted 6/14/2013 5:42:57 AM
benjjjamin posted...
Marauder/warrior was my main class. I had an Engraved Bhuj+3, the first BIS gaxe in the game. Probably the 2nd or 3rd one in the world.

The class slowly went from the heaviest damage per swing in the game to a 2nd fiddle to archer, to a 2nd fiddle to all the dd, to 2nd fiddle in the two biggest fights in the game in the remaining thing it was good at.

I'm embarrassed at what it is now. As a FFXI warrior and a FF14 warrior.

Sad indeed. WAR has always been my favorite class in both FFXI and FFXIV, I will miss it. Of course, maybe SE will surprise me and change that, guess I'll find out tonight in phase 3.
---
jedinat - Which sets you at a distinct advantage... over no one.