I try to play beta but when I do half the screen is cut off.

#1CuddleWithClawsPosted 7/13/2013 2:05:51 PM(edited)
I have absolutely no idea why. I've fiddled with the resolution and whatnot but whenever I play the game the top half of the screen just just cut off. Anyone else have this problem? The title screen is just fine but as soon as the cinematic intro starts, bam.
---
It's easy to claim that a thing is self-evident when you've already convinced yourself that it is.
#2KokeiiPosted 7/13/2013 2:10:57 PM
That happened to me with the cinematic too, but the actual game itself is fine. :) Have you tried playing past the opening cinematic? Is it cut in half for the rest of the char creation/gameplay too?
#3CuddleWithClaws(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 3:13:13 PM
Okay. It's just for the cinematic. However now, when I try playing, about 20s in the game will completely terminate, the screen will go black, except the music is still playing. Ctrl alt delete won't work, and I'm forced to do a hard system shut down, wait for at least five minutes, and restart the computer so it won't automatically try resuming Windows which will attempt to restart the game and get me stuck again.
---
It's easy to claim that a thing is self-evident when you've already convinced yourself that it is.
#4Agnostic420Posted 7/13/2013 3:20:48 PM
Either your pc can't run it or you messed up the download and need to retry.
#5supernovamd1204Posted 7/13/2013 3:43:29 PM
CuddleWithClaws posted...
Okay. It's just for the cinematic. However now, when I try playing, about 20s in the game will completely terminate, the screen will go black, except the music is still playing. Ctrl alt delete won't work, and I'm forced to do a hard system shut down, wait for at least five minutes, and restart the computer so it won't automatically try resuming Windows which will attempt to restart the game and get me stuck again.

Hey so I was just passing through and I saw this post. I made a Gamefaq's account solely for the point of responding to this comment (I thought I had one, but guess not). I had the same problem, and after going through the FF XIV beta forums, I found the fix. It's a Windows installed update that's causing the problem. You have to go to your Control Panel, Programs and Features, View Installed Updates, and uninstall Windows KB 2803821. This is what is causing the top half to go black. After you uninstall that update, I would do a reboot, and it should work. I had the exact same symptoms you had, although I always shut it off, so I don't know if the crash is related to this update. However, this fix should help you see the full cutscene (and wow, the graphics are amazing).

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/another-botched-windows-patch-ms13-057kb-2803821kb-2834904-222636

^^Here's a link detailing why this update sucks.
#6steker16Posted 7/13/2013 3:57:45 PM
Either your pc can't run it or you messed up the download and need to retry.

this is a prime example of someone who knows nothing, talking

Hey so I was just passing through and I saw this post. I made a Gamefaq's account solely for the point of responding to this comment (I thought I had one, but guess not). I had the same problem, and after going through the FF XIV beta forums, I found the fix. It's a Windows installed update that's causing the problem. You have to go to your Control Panel, Programs and Features, View Installed Updates, and uninstall Windows KB 2803821. This is what is causing the top half to go black. After you uninstall that update, I would do a reboot, and it should work. I had the exact same symptoms you had, although I always shut it off, so I don't know if the crash is related to this update. However, this fix should help you see the full cutscene (and wow, the graphics are amazing).

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/another-botched-windows-patch-ms13-057kb-2803821kb-2834904-222636

^^Here's a link detailing why this update sucks.

this is how you fix it. worked for me perfectly yesterday
#7CuddleWithClaws(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2013 4:20:24 PM
Will uninstalling that update also prevent the crashes?
---
#8supernovamd1204Posted 7/14/2013 11:16:09 AM
Will uninstalling that update also prevent the crashes?

Not sure, but it's worth a try. It will definitely get you past the opening cinematic. I haven't had a problem with the game as of yet (although I only made it past the opening cutscenes and shut it off). I'll play a bit now, and let you know more.
#9supernovamd1204Posted 7/14/2013 12:35:26 PM
I played for a solid hour and a half without any crashes. Audio was great, graphics were amazing, no problems at all. Hopefully, if you uninstall that update, you should experience no problems. :) Best of luck, and I'm on Malboro server, in game name is Hungry Wolf if by any chance any of you are on the same server.
#10samuraidylanPosted 7/14/2013 12:39:21 PM
Wow, removing that update cleared up that problem right away. I'm amazed actually. Damn these windows updates making my computer restart in the middle of the night when I'm not expecting them. And damn them for breaking my computer too.