Just what do I need to play this at release?

#1DarkstaPosted 7/30/2013 1:53:25 PM
I tried posting on the beta boards about this but people seemed to be stuck on numbers or versions of the game...so I decided to come here and hope someone can actually give me a straight answer.

I have a FF account. I currently played FFXI. I played FFXIV at release but didn't like how bad things were after a few months of playing. I have been lightly following FFXIV ARR since starting up FFXI and am interested in playing, but people keep going back and forth on some people don't need to get the game, some do, some are legacy...etc.

My account, as far as FFXIV is concerned says this:

Date Service name Action
Sep. 2, 2010 FINAL FANTASY XIV Registered

Does this mean I am a "1.0" player or something and don't actually have to buy the game? I do not care about early access as I am in the process of moving and probably cant play till the game comes out anyways. The bonuses are interesting but I don't want to pre order a game that I don't need to, if that makes sense.

I do not know if it is CE or not. I don't believe it was but I do not know for sure. I was sent a code after registering for phase 4.
---
MM SF3: Black Ace FC: 442-599-525-414 Name: Metal Sonic
'Machines are the future...
#2ScreamingMidgetPosted 7/30/2013 1:57:58 PM
If you bought and registered a copy of 1.0 you get ARR for free.
#3BibikiBayBoyPosted 7/30/2013 2:00:38 PM
Wait til release for an email about downloading the new client (free). At the same time you will be able to upgrade to CE if you want to. All you need is waiting.
#4Darksta(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2013 2:05:56 PM
ScreamingMidget posted...

Ah okay. So then what I have IS considered 1.0 and i don't have to download anything. sweet.

BibikiBayBoy posted...
Wait til release for an email about downloading the new client (free). At the same time you will be able to upgrade to CE if you want to. All you need is waiting.

Ah okay. So I don't need to do anything special to I guess let them know that I am interested? Just make sure my current email and info is correct. I did put the beta code on the same account so hopefully that helps. I do have some interest in the CE. I wonder if we will be able to get the physical items as well as the others?

In anycase, thanks a lot guys. You answered my questions. I'll wait till the game comes out, get a subscription and play. Hopefully with Beta 4 comes out I will find i enjoy the game a lot.
---
#5VobeDarkElfPosted 7/30/2013 2:13:30 PM
For someone like you who already owns FFXIV, then you can just think of this as a new patch to the game. Starting Aug 27th, you should have 2 weeks of free service, then need to start paying your subscription fees like normal.

And even then, you should be able to get into Open Beta, which will be starting in the next few weeks. Characters played during OB will carry over into launch.

Your old install disks are now useless however, don't use them. You will need to download the new game client, which will become available before the start of Open Beta.

If you previously purchased the old Collector's Edition, you will get all of the new in-game items that come with the new collector's edition, but you won't be getting any of the new physical items. Hopefully we don't need to explain why it would be unreasonable and unrealistic for them to provide that stuff to you.
#6devina812Posted 7/30/2013 2:16:17 PM
I am not very computer savvy and I was just wondering if someone can answer a question for me. my brother and I are huge ff fans and we would both like to play ff14 when it releases but what inter net speed would we need to play together comfortably?
#7K4P_LinkPosted 7/30/2013 2:22:04 PM
devina812 posted...
I am not very computer savvy and I was just wondering if someone can answer a question for me. my brother and I are huge ff fans and we would both like to play ff14 when it releases but what inter net speed would we need to play together comfortably?

Where do you live?
---
Ever Infinity - MRD/WAR - The Maelstrom
#8Darksta(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2013 2:24:19 PM
VobeDarkElf posted...
For someone like you who already owns FFXIV, then you can just think of this as a new patch to the game. Starting Aug 27th, you should have 2 weeks of free service, then need to start paying your subscription fees like normal.

And even then, you should be able to get into Open Beta, which will be starting in the next few weeks. Characters played during OB will carry over into launch.

Your old install disks are now useless however, don't use them. You will need to download the new game client, which will become available before the start of Open Beta.

If you previously purchased the old Collector's Edition, you will get all of the new in-game items that come with the new collector's edition, but you won't be getting any of the new physical items. Hopefully we don't need to explain why it would be unreasonable and unrealistic for them to provide that stuff to you.

And I am glad I don't need the discs. I have no bloody clue where those things are (I probably used them as Ninja throwing stars at one point).
---
#9zodiacsoulPosted 7/30/2013 2:25:12 PM
devina812 posted...

My guess would be around 10 Mbps should be OK if no one is streaming, downloading, etc on your network.

I have 50 Mbps because I constantly have people streaming / downloading on my network.
#10JohnMafiaPosted 7/30/2013 2:33:21 PM
Darksta posted...
ScreamingMidget posted...

Ah okay. So then what I have IS considered 1.0 and i don't have to download anything. sweet.

You WILL have to download the ARR client. Whatever FFXIV stuff you have on your computer is useless now and you can delete it. You should be able to login to your active FFXIV account to play once you have downloaded the client.

Note, by active I mean, a subscription will probably need to be added. Most MMO's offer the first month free, in your case it will be 2 weeks. However, that doesn't mean play for free, then add your credit card/time card to continue playing. It usually means enter your payment info right away and it won't get charged till your free time is up.
---
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1173050/wilson-cruz.gif
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/cm-28790-0508f1032d1c7d.gif