What level can you start venturing into other towns?

#1RagKnightPosted 8/10/2013 10:01:08 AM
This question has several parts:
-How difficult is it to travel between cities?
-Do I need a chocobo license? Is the quest difficult/tedious like in FFXI?
-When and how can I take airships?
-Any additional forms of transportation?

I am going marauder which means I'm starting in Limsa Lominsa but I really want to check out Gridania.
---
Anticipating: The Last Guardian>Destiny>BF4>Titanfall>KH3>FFXV>MGSV>Rayman:Origins
#2ZagialPosted 8/10/2013 10:06:59 AM(edited)
I believe you can either run to other places on foot(which might be a pain in the ass), or you get a way to travel at level 15 through quests.
---
Skill Mostly.
#3Mikes_Posted 8/10/2013 10:10:10 AM
Easiest way is just to the main story until around 15 and take the airship. You could walk, but it really doesn't take long to get to level 15 with airship. Once in the other towns and camps you can attune yourself to the crystals there to be able to teleport to those places at anytime for a small gil fee.
#4MaceWindooPosted 8/10/2013 10:14:31 AM
Level 1 and gil. Nothing is preventing you from walking anywhere. Gil is the only wall trying to get to Limsa or the main land if starting from Limsa.
---
FFXIV > Server: Aegis > Name: Usagi Yojimbo Main:Dragoon
FFXI:>Server: Asura>Name:Shaman> Main:Sam/Drg75(retired)
#5ShortietheshortPosted 8/10/2013 10:22:10 AM
RagKnight posted...

I am going marauder which means I'm starting in Limsa Lominsa but I really want to check out Gridania.

1. In general, the borders between the areas (e.g. Black Shroud, Thanalan) have higher than lvl 30 monsters. But I'm not sure how you're rating difficulty. When can take an airship, it's zero difficulty, and by foot it depends on if you are high enough lvl to kill the monsters on the way. Of course there are other ways to travel on land, but why even waste the time and effort when it's easy to get to lvl 15 to do the quest to unlock the airship.

2. No. In fact, you are forced to travel waaaaaaaay before you get a licence. On a side note, getting the licence is pretty easy and the quest is just talking to an NPC after you buy a licence from your Grand Company.

3. There's a (Main Scenario) quest at lvl 15 that forces you to take the airship to proceed. It is locked before that point, and open from after that point. You can take airship from the docks in the adventure's guild in each city.

4. Yes. In addition to airships, there's foot, chocobo porter, rented/owned chocobo, warping, teleporting, boat, and within cities, aetheryte. The difference between warping and teleporting is that warping only goes to a specific aetheryte crystal, at no cost (but only once per 15 mins), while teleporting can go to any aetheryte crystal with gil cost proportional to the distance traveled (with no restrictions to time).
---
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is a terrible disease, Beware!!!
#6MisguidedPiratePosted 8/10/2013 10:23:49 AM
RagKnight posted...

Not too hard. While there are some mid-high level areas between Gridania and Ul'dah, you can quite easily run the roads without hitting trouble. A character of any level could manage it - I tried it myself at level 10.

The land route between Ul'dah and Limsa requires a ferry trip, which was priced extremely high to limit travel in Phase 3 but should be knocked down to the proper, affordable price by release.

Though... yeah, airship.

It's been a long time since I've played FFXI so I can't remember much either way about the chocobo quest.

Not particularly difficult or time-consuming (besides farming leves for the required guild marks) this time around though.

After finishing the home city story arc around level 15 - it's followed by your typical fly-to-all-three-cities-to-speak-with-someone quest, after which you can use them at your leasure from the docks in each city.

So honestly, while you can run from A to B pretty much from the start, you get the pass early enough to warrant waiting it out.

There's crystal teleportation, and chocobo porters (aka. taxis) that can run you between discovered outposts out in the world, but I think that's it.
---
XBL : Crossbit
#7Bane766Posted 8/10/2013 10:35:08 AM
I dunno. That story quest for Conj was pretty damn hard. So unless they tweaked the difficulty then it may be hard getting your airship pass.
---
Douleur Peur Mort
#8ShortietheshortPosted 8/10/2013 10:43:44 AM
Bane766 posted...
I dunno. That story quest for Conj was pretty damn hard. So unless they tweaked the difficulty then it may be hard getting your airship pass.

Seems easy enough for all of those CNJ I played with in every instance with the duty finders. Even before then, there where plenty of CNJ in my dungeon groups so I'm sure that it's not hard. And it should be easier for CNJ than any other class because they can natively heal! But yeah. There' nothing wrong with the difficulty. In fact:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/36485-FFXIV-A-Realm-Reborn-Player-Feedback-Status-List

Read the Second comment on post 9. >.> I'll let that sink in a bit.
---
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is a terrible disease, Beware!!!
#9dabodufusPosted 8/10/2013 10:59:17 AM
You don't have to fight anything between Gridania and Uldah. You can avoid everything pretty easily.
#10XCrimsonSamuraiPosted 8/10/2013 11:35:44 AM
Yeah, running between the cities on foot is easy if you can pay attention to what enemies have red markers next to their names (means aggressive).

The level you are for this doesn't matter because many of the Lv30+ enemies will kill you at level 10 or 20 with equal ease.

The ferry between Limsa Lominsa and Western Thanalan should be fairly cheap in Phase 4 / Full Game, probably only around 100G I'd say.

I honestly think it's more worthwhile to travel on foot than it is to simply wait until you get your Airship pass. You'll need to attune yourself to all the Aetherytes along the way eventually anyway, may as well do it since they're on the roads between cities.
---
PSN and NNID: CrimsonSamuraiX