Difference between the Scholar and the White Mage?

#1DoubleJ9Posted 8/20/2013 1:51:35 PM
I'm wanting to be a healer as my main character when the game is released and had planned on going WHM but recently found out that the scholars are healers also. Could someone give me the difference between the two or point me in the direction of the information?

Also if anyone played a Scholar this past weekend, what are your opinions on them?

Thank you for your time.
---
Open eyes are useless if the mind behind them is closed.
3DS FC: 3222-5762-5282
#2failure_turtlePosted 8/20/2013 1:52:16 PM
Scholars are more of a buffer.
---
Be yonce.
#3Bestia_SomniaPosted 8/20/2013 1:53:53 PM
Nobody has played as Scholar. It isn't available yet.
---
http://na.beta.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1554077/
#4SlimeStackPosted 8/20/2013 1:56:02 PM
http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Scholar

White Mage seems to have more potent heals while the Scholar has more of a focus on buffing and damage prevention.
---
Blah.
#5MugaazPosted 8/20/2013 1:56:29 PM
DoubleJ9 posted...
I'm wanting to be a healer as my main character when the game is released and had planned on going WHM but recently found out that the scholars are healers also. Could someone give me the difference between the two or point me in the direction of the information?

Also if anyone played a Scholar this past weekend, what are your opinions on them?

Thank you for your time.

No one has played a scholar period. Healing in this game is very easy, the biggest difference is the scholar also heals with their pet, so you'll need to be able to manage pet bar as well. Their heals are pretty close in efficiency.As far as end game, no one has ever been able to compare the two since it hasnt been available yet. Scholar can definitely solo better.
#6sithlord006Posted 8/20/2013 1:57:45 PM
Which bears the questions:

a) Are they both viable as main healers? and
b) Is it worthwhile bringing both to a dungeon?
#7BeefyNukesPosted 8/20/2013 1:58:11 PM
No one played scholar, but it's been said by Yoshi-p a balanced healing team will be WHM+SCH.

SCH heals provide a shield (like stoneskin) to reduce incoming damage.

They also can use one of two pets. I think one heals and the other buffs party members.

On top of that, they have a AoE 'field' ability that reduces damage to all party members standing inside.

Honestly, SCH sounds more fun to me. They have quite a few fire and forget mechanics (the shield), strategy mechanics (that damage reduction field), party buffs (fairy), while still maintaining White Mage's ability to ressurect/remove party debuffs.
#8DoubleJ9(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 1:58:26 PM
Mugaaz posted...
DoubleJ9 posted...

Thank you for your time.

No one has played a scholar period. Healing in this game is very easy, the biggest difference is the scholar also heals with their pet, so you'll need to be able to manage pet bar as well. Their heals are pretty close in efficiency.As far as end game, no one has ever been able to compare the two since it hasnt been available yet. Scholar can definitely solo better.

Ah my apologies, I thought the Scholar was released in this last beta phase. Hmm well I guess I'll just have to mess with both at release and go from there.

Thank you all for the responses!
---
Open eyes are useless if the mind behind them is closed.
3DS FC: 3222-5762-5282
#9ZhacariasPosted 8/20/2013 2:00:59 PM
Scholars are like arcanists where they have little fairies assisting them and the party.

Whitemages directly cast AoE spells to support and heal.
---
3DS Friend Code: 1091 - 7544 - 3781
Name: Isa
#10iSteelninjaPosted 8/20/2013 2:27:01 PM
The style of healing used by Scholars is to use hybrid healing spells and damage mitigation abilities while utilizing their two fairies which specialize in healing and buffing respectively. The hybrid healing spells are similar to cure 1 and medica (spelling is most likely off) in the sense of a single target heal and an AOE heal respectively however the potency of these heals are lower than WHM's but make up for it by providing a shield (which lasts for 30 secs) that negates damage equal to the amount healed by the spell. Additionally, Scholars also gain a burst heal (heals 20% of the target's hp) that can only be used under the effects of Aetherflow (there are a few other spells that are similar in this requirement), which is a spell gained from ACN and holds up to 3 stacks at level 40 (a.k.a. max stacks is 3) with a cooldown of 60 secs and restores 20% of your MP. They also can use cross class skills from Conjurer (like protect, cure, etc.) and utilize various DoTs and debuffs.

White Mages are your burst healing priest class with some of the highest potency heals based off a single cast. Additionally, WHM has the most heals between the two (I may be wrong). A typical session involves using Cure 1 until it procs the effect "Free Cure" which gives a no MP cost effect towards the next Cure 2 you cast while utilizing medica 1 or 2 if the majority of your group's hp has fallen below 70% (medica is an AOE heal which has a much high MP cost than Cure 1) and using Cure 3 (an AOE heal based around a radius using the selected target as the center) to heal various members that might be further away (also Cure 2 has a chance to increase the possibility of Cure 3 scoring a "critical heal"). WHM also has an upgraded protect that works on magic defense, a shield based of 18% of the targets health, an AOE stun, and healing sex appeal.

I'll give more info and a better description later as I have to go but also keep in mind things may change before final release. Additionally, try to bear with my horrible formatting lol since I had to use my phone to type this.
---
Fact: I'm a better WHM then "angermngment101" will ever be.