A gathering class? what the...

#1postcallPosted 8/23/2013 8:02:55 AM
TLDR: I really don't understand the purpose of dividing gathering activities into separate classes. I don't think it helps the game become more fun and it will only makes it more tedious and boring.

The reason that most MMO players subscribe to MMOs is to group with other PEOPLE to overcome different challenges (dungeons, organized pvp etc...). No one rolls a toon in an MMO thinking: "gee I'm gonna have soooo much fun mining nodes and herbing with this toon."

In most MMOs the process of gathering and crafting are done out of necessity. They are means to an end (getting better gear, making gold), but not something to be focused on. That's why the developers in other MMos simply allow players to farm resources while performing other activities (questing, killing mobs, etc). Crafting is also streamlined: If you have the mats and skill level, you make the product, THE END.

But in this game, they take these boring activities and force you to focus on them by having you run around in non-combat gear farming nodes or playing repetitive crafting minigames while everyone else can be in groups, dominating world bosses or running instances. And this is fun....how exactly?

Why would SE want to make what is considered tedious chores in every other MMO into actual classes?
#2ThePCElitistPosted 8/23/2013 8:03:45 AM
You could always buy your mats if you don't wanna gather.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#3helix090Posted 8/23/2013 8:04:05 AM
too lazy to actually craft?
#4megaexePosted 8/23/2013 8:05:41 AM
LNo one rolls a toon in an MMO thinking: "gee I'm gonna have soooo much fun mining nodes and herbing with this toon."

If you've ever played older MMOs, and especially Ultima Online, you would realize this statement is completely false.

I had many friends on Ultima Online who purely gathered and crafted. Be it fishing and cooking, lumberjacking and carpentry, mining and weapon/armor smithing...

In fact, back in UO the community decided the entire economy. You could only get basic weapons/armor from vendors and mobs. With full PvP and dropping loot on death, the demand was there. And some people loved it.

So, yes, some people have fun logging in to gather and craft.
---
I forgot this is gamefaqs... not acting like a jackass is a bannable offense.
#5meiyukiPosted 8/23/2013 8:05:43 AM
Wait a moment I'm about to blow your mind. Please be sitting down, and perhaps have a psychologist on standby. Here it is...

Some people actually like non-combat activities and enjoy crafting and gathering.

Was that too much of a shock to the system?
#6Ashe10Posted 8/23/2013 8:06:27 AM
Its just your opionion, i find it fun that way
---
SO4 900/900 Battle Trophies!
#7postcall(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 8:07:32 AM
meiyuki posted...
Wait a moment I'm about to blow your mind. Please be sitting down, and perhaps have a psychologist on standby. Here it is...

Some people actually like non-combat activities and enjoy crafting and gathering.

Was that too much of a shock to the system?

yes
#8solana200Posted 8/23/2013 8:07:58 AM
For the reasons you describe, yes crafting/gathering are tedious and boring in other games.

Maybe thats why they made them actual classes, with abilities and such for this game? Maybe they wanted to make gathering/crafting fun since it sucks everywhere else?

I haven't done either yet so I can't say if they are fun or not. But i've read people saying they actually had tons of fun crafting in this game. If they managed to make the systems fun to play and not a tedious means to an end then I say hells yeah!
#9AnghellicKarmaPosted 8/23/2013 8:09:12 AM(edited)
postcall posted...
TLDR: I really don't understand the purpose of dividing gathering activities into separate classes. I don't think it helps the game become more fun and it will only makes it more tedious and boring.

The reason that most MMO players subscribe to MMOs is to group with other PEOPLE to overcome different challenges (dungeons, organized pvp etc...). No one rolls a toon

Stopped reading there. You're right. No one rolls a toon.

---
My custom-made cake topper for my wedding:
http://i.imgur.com/MdkjriQ.jpg
#10Vampyre_GhostPosted 8/23/2013 8:10:19 AM
If you do it that way, then yeah it will be boring, but seeing as you can change your class completely on the fly just by changing your equipped weapon, if all you do it run around and gather mats, you are wasting your time. Keep the weapon on you, if you see something that you can gather, 1 touch swap to your class gear, pick it up and 1 touch swap back. An extra step, sure, but it is added depth, superficial or not, which is sorely needed in most MMOs today.

You aren't forced to do it though, it is a side option. Do combat levequests and stuff, and use that gil to buy the mats instead of farming them.