All of this maintenance is a nuisance

#1Bestia_SomniaPosted 8/25/2013 12:09:27 AM
I was fine with the first several because of the scale of the game and because most MMOs have a rocky launch, but is anyone else getting to the point where the constant maintenance is starting to irritate them now?

I think what makes it annoying is that it's generally to fix the same game-ruining issues that they claimed they resolved the last several maintenances. Why don't they just do one long maintenance and stomp out these problems for good?

I went to bed last night because there was midnight emergency maintenance and I was too tired to be able to last those 2+ hours until the servers cane back up. Woke up this morning and jumped on the game to be treated by an emergency maintenance warning.

*sigh*

I know it's all necessary, but I figured that there wouldn't be so many critical issues after Phase 3 was so ironed out and ran smoothly.
---
http://na.beta.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1554077/
#2FFXIgaiaknightPosted 8/25/2013 12:10:27 AM
hey atleast we havent had any notorious ffxi 8hr+ maintenance's yet lol
---
FFXIV: Sir Gaiaknight, Server: Midgardsormr
NNI: Gaiaknight PSN: FFXIGaiaknight
#3nintendogamer13Posted 8/25/2013 12:10:28 AM
I was right at the last boss of tam tam! staring him in the face! i waited all day for this and now its gone! DINKLEBERG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#4BlueCrescent8Posted 8/25/2013 12:12:48 AM
People don't really realize that fixing server-related issues like the instance bugs isn't a matter of throwing x number of hours at it. You can't bruteforce it; you have to apply a fix that can't be fully tested before the servers go live then bring all the servers back up to test the fixes. They tried to do it a few times, none of the maintenance repairs took so they have to try again.

I'm not defending the maintenance times or calling you out on anything; just trying to explain why they'd bother bringing the servers back up with the issues still present.
#5VersalePosted 8/25/2013 12:13:35 AM
Not really a nuisance for me personally, of course the downtime is quite annoying, but I have enough things to do in real life anyway.

Every MMO has a rocky launch, FFXIV is experiencing the same fate. As long they take their time and fix most if not all of the major issues before launch, I'm fine with the wait.
---
i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz | Gigabyte Z77-D3H | 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 2133MHz | 250GB SSD system drive / 2x1TB WD | Gigabyte GTX680 SOC|GPU@1305MHz boost|RAM@6580MHz
#6KaiserWarriorPosted 8/25/2013 12:13:58 AM
Phase 3 problems were with login and basic server connectivity. Those problems remain fixed, it's just that now they have new problems with the instance servers.

Especially in very high volume environments like a mega-hyped MMO launch, it's not uncommon for software devs to deploy a fix only to find out that something else is causing issues as well. It's hard to simulate production-level loads in a test environment, when your production environment involves potentially millions of players hammering your servers nonstop from the instant they come online.
#7MasterSplinterWPosted 8/25/2013 12:15:55 AM
I honestly wonder if stuff like this ever gets fixed or if people quit playing so then those that are left experience lest congestion.
---
On the 261, just remember that you aren't allowed to make a single assertion, assumption, or declaration without stats, studies, and followup to said studies.
#8VersalePosted 8/25/2013 12:17:42 AM
MasterSplinterW posted...
I honestly wonder if stuff like this ever gets fixed or if people quit playing so then those that are left experience lest congestion.

We are not talking about Electronic Arts here, so I'm sure they are "actually" fixing them. Besides, it's still only early access, when the game launches in 2 days, there will be even more traffic, they HAVE to fix the problems before then, or else... well who knows what would happen.
---
i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz | Gigabyte Z77-D3H | 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 2133MHz | 250GB SSD system drive / 2x1TB WD | Gigabyte GTX680 SOC|GPU@1305MHz boost|RAM@6580MHz
#9Bestia_Somnia(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 12:18:03 AM
My friend had never played an MMO before. I've been hyping him up for FFXIV for months now. He had it preordered and was willing to pay monthly for it if it was good enough.

He spent the whole of Phase 4 trying to grt into the same world as me, Moogle. The moment he saw that he couldn't even play in the same world as me in EA and that the game was having constant maintenance, he was like "**** this!" and cancelled his preorder.

I'm annoyed that his patience is so shallow, but at the same time SE have gave a terrible first impression for MMO newcomers. It's hard to want give it a chance for some people when it's having so many issues even though it's P2P game which usually adds to a better service. A lot of the console players like my friend will just give up on it and go back to the multiplayer of their console games.
---
http://na.beta.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1554077/
#10ThatLaoGuyPosted 8/25/2013 12:19:50 AM
If you've been around for all the emergency maintenance(think first was at like 7am pst) you really need to get off the computer. that's unhealthy
---
Gamertag: That Lao Guy