BLM and Flare Question

#1AckroPosted 9/10/2013 10:58:51 AM
So I've hit 50 last night and got Flare.

I've been using it to close off my Astral Fire segment to use up the remaining MP.

I'm wondering if that is the correct way to use it or should I just put it away till I need to AoE stuff?
#2Magus80Posted 9/10/2013 11:07:01 AM
Hardcasting Flare on a single target is a DPS loss in most cases. Swiftcast + Flare then Convert can be a slight DPS increase compared to a normal rotation. Flare take all of your MP and you would have to Trans to get UI I meaning you'll have to wait quite few seconds to resume casting when you can just cast Blizzard III and get back to your rotation quickly after few ticks.
---
PSN:fooshen
Currently playing: Dragon's Crown, Tales of Xillia, FFXIV
#3Ackro(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 11:15:20 AM
hmmm would have thought the 1k damage might put it over but i guess not. Thanks.
#4theshovellerPosted 9/10/2013 11:19:05 AM
For a boss, which would be better - using Bliz 3 and Fire 3 to swap between MP regen and nuking modes, or using something like Bliz 3 to gain 3 stacks of Ice affinity, then using Flare when at full MP, then keeping the three stacks on with a single Blizzard spell every so often until you're full again?

I don't have Flare yet, but I want to plan ahead. I've noticed I don't use Transpose much now that I have Blizzard 3 and can get 3 stacks of an element - mainly after a fight's over and I'm still in Fire mode, or if I don't have enough MP to cast Blizzard 3 after blowing MP on Fire.
---
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!
#5Ackro(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 11:21:18 AM
Lose all Ice stacks when you use flare and get no Fire stacks due to Ice having been up. So would have no mana to cast anything afterwards.
#6LenneValkiryePosted 9/10/2013 11:25:56 AM(edited)
Magus80 posted...
Hardcasting Flare on a single target is a DPS loss in most cases.

I miss the days when you could blow stuff up without people criticizing you for not picking the absolute best DPS spell you could use in that instant.
#7Ackro(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 11:29:19 AM
LenneValkirye posted...
Magus80 posted...

I miss the days when you could blow stuff up without people criticizing you for not picking the absolute best DPS spell you could use in that instant.

I don't get this? I asked a question and he answered it.
#8theshovellerPosted 9/10/2013 11:30:02 AM
Ackro posted...
Lose all Ice stacks when you use flare and get no Fire stacks due to Ice having been up. So would have no mana to cast anything afterwards.

Ah, that sucks. Do you lose Fire stacks, then, or is it a Fire-based spell and you'd keep those stacks because of it?
---
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!
#9MugaazPosted 9/10/2013 11:33:41 AM
LenneValkirye posted...
Magus80 posted...

What does this have to do with the question?
#10Ackro(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 11:33:57 AM
theshoveller posted...
Ackro posted...

Ah, that sucks. Do you lose Fire stacks, then, or is it a Fire-based spell and you'd keep those stacks because of it?

Yes you keep fire Stacks.