How to make gil in FFXIV

#1kiraidesuPosted 9/23/2013 8:01:42 PM
I'm about to crack the 3 million gil benchmark. I'm not sure, but I'm fairly confident that this makes me one of the richest people in the game (outside of gil buyers and sellers). Anyways, I figured I would tell you guys how to make a lot of gil.

The simple trick is to realize that most people do not know that there are NPC vendors that sell most of the items you'll want to buy from levels 1-50.

that's right--while YOU might know that NPC vendors sell almost any type of non-hq item, most people don't know about this. Since World of Warcraft and other MMORPG's have conditioned them to hit the AH to seek out upgrades...that's exactly what they do. The trick to making gil is to exploit this circumstance.

I start my day off by reviewing the marketboard and making a list of all items between levels 20-34 that have either ZERO people selling the item or VERY FEW people selling the item. When I say making a list, I literally mean making a list in notepad, because there are quite a few items that fit this criteria.

With my list in hand, I port the the Quarrymill and buy any available items from the vendor. Then, I make a stop Buscarron's Druthers and Camp Tranquil in order to buy any applicable items at those spots. It's a nice, linear run in a single zone - South Shroud.

Now, you might be asking which items are top sellers. Here's my short list--prices will vary wildly based on the server:

Velveteen Sash
Velveteen Half Apron
Steel Goggles
Steel Elmo
Velveteen Gaskins
Velveteen Tights
Velveteen Gaiters
Velveteen Sarouel
Velveteen Bottoms
Velveteen Shortgloves
Velveteen Halfgloves
Goatskin Trousers
Toadskin Culottes
Elm Patterns
Velveteen Coatee of Crafting
Velveteen Bandana
Fang Earrings (from jewelers in town)

Whew...that's just a few of them. And, sadly, it's purely by memory. I picked the 20-34 item level range out of convenience, but I'm sure you guys can find some other exploitable markets.

Typically, I'll be able to sell these items for 2x-5x what I buy them off the NPC vendors for. When you consider that I can sell about 60 of them a day, you can see why this is quite profitable if you're willing to make the runs and restock your supply. Doing this, I've been able to pull in at least 150k every day at the cost of one hour of my time spent restocking and listing items.

Unfortunately, since I'm sharing this to a wide audience, I think it will become less profitable for most people. However, that is one part of my goal--I'm secretly hoping that this becomes more widespread. Basically, the profit margins are so huge that I can't resist doing this. Subsequentially, I've neglected actually playing the game. I'm hoping that this becomes more popular and the profit margins thin out so I'll be able to resist the urge to rip off 75% of the people on my server.

Now, I'll admit that this method is no longer my primary method of making money. Lately, I've moved on to monopolizing high level HQ crafting items.That's much more rewarding. Unfortunately, my secrets to that market are going to be kept secret. <3

Hope that helps!
-Kirai Osaur on the Faerie server
#2UrsavusPosted 9/23/2013 8:03:13 PM
kiraidesu posted...
I'm about to crack the 3 million gil benchmark. I'm not sure, but I'm fairly confident that this makes me one of the richest people in the game (outside of gil buyers and sellers).

Not even close.

But, the advice is good.
---
Nope.
#3kiraidesu(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 8:10:35 PM
Ursavus posted...
kiraidesu posted...
I'm about to crack the 3 million gil benchmark. I'm not sure, but I'm fairly confident that this makes me one of the richest people in the game (outside of gil buyers and sellers).

Not even close.

But, the advice is good.

* on a non-legacy server. Although, I am genuinely curious to see information about people with mad stacks on other non-legacy servers. So far, I haven't found anyone with more gil than me. I'm not saying they aren't out there, I just haven't found them.
#4UrsavusPosted 9/23/2013 8:13:29 PM
Most I've seen from a non-legacy server player (that I believe was legit anyway) was around the 11 million region. Whenever you get access to Wanderer's Palace and start farming gear from it, hope for the crafting parts for the relic prerequisite weapons. Some of them sell for hundreds of thousands.

But yeah, to keep to your post, I'm definitely not disputing any of it, it's solid advice.
---
Nope.
#5Seferia7Posted 9/23/2013 8:28:01 PM
I'm sitting at 8M myself. I leveled Weaver as my first crafting job (Getting the others to 15 for crossclass) and materia'd it up. I've been buying Potash and then HQing Vanya and selling it at a fairly large profit margin.
---
Hardcore XSeed fan.
#6Snickers085Posted 9/23/2013 8:35:30 PM
Alchemy/Leather here- around 8 mil. non legacy.. and I know thats not even close to the top