Garuda Hard Mode Advice? (For a white mage)

#1magiseanzzPosted 9/26/2013 7:35:54 AM
So, I keep hearing about the horror stories about how hard Garuda is, but I am hoping to try out the fight today. Given that it's my first time doing the fight, what pointers can you offer to a white mage? I've watched the videos, but much like Ifrit, I'm sure it still takes the actual immersion into the fight to understand it and get better at it.

Any advice for a white mage? And is anyone on Leviathan going to be doing this and willing to take a lost soul along for a possible wipe or three? :)

I probably don't have the *best* gear, but I do have decent equipment on me right now. I'm hoping it's enough to help me keep everyone's HP up during the fight.

Currently, I'm equipped with:
- Ifrit's cane (took about 25 times...ugh)
- AF headgear (level 50)
- Strategoes Bliaud (level 60 body piece from Amdapor Keep)
- Warlock's Ringbands (level 55 hands from Wanderer's Palace)
- Strategos Belt (level 60 belt from Amdapor Keep)
- Darklight Breeches of Healing
- Strategos Duckbills (level 60 feet from Amdapor Keep)
#2skins25Posted 9/26/2013 7:38:22 AM
magiseanzz posted...
So, I keep hearing about the horror stories about how hard Garuda is, but I am hoping to try out the fight today. Given that it's my first time doing the fight, what pointers can you offer to a white mage? I've watched the videos, but much like Ifrit, I'm sure it still takes the actual immersion into the fight to understand it and get better at it.

Any advice for a white mage? And is anyone on Leviathan going to be doing this and willing to take a lost soul along for a possible wipe or three? :)

I probably don't have the *best* gear, but I do have decent equipment on me right now. I'm hoping it's enough to help me keep everyone's HP up during the fight.

Currently, I'm equipped with:
- Ifrit's cane (took about 25 times...ugh)
- AF headgear (level 50)
- Strategoes Bliaud (level 60 body piece from Amdapor Keep)
- Warlock's Ringbands (level 55 hands from Wanderer's Palace)
- Strategos Belt (level 60 belt from Amdapor Keep)
- Darklight Breeches of Healing
- Strategos Duckbills (level 60 feet from Amdapor Keep)

When the adds are about to come, do not use Media II. When the adds arrive, do not use Medica II. You will get aggro and you will die. Spam Medica and tell the other healer to make sure the tanks live. If you can survive that part then you will win.
---
"While I make no habit of charity, I could not well abandon so goodly a wench to rogues."
#3SliceSabrePosted 9/26/2013 7:59:02 AM
Your equips are honestly fine, Mine are worst than your's and I've beaten her several times with my WHM.

Really it just comes down to makking sure your tank stays alive and when to use Medica I/II. Just don't panic remember you have another healer backing you up and decent healers look out for each other because dead healers can't heal the tank.
---
@w@
Gamertag: SliceSabre
#4magiseanzz(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 8:37:01 AM
SliceSabre posted...
Your equips are honestly fine, Mine are worst than your's and I've beaten her several times with my WHM.

Really it just comes down to makking sure your tank stays alive and when to use Medica I/II. Just don't panic remember you have another healer backing you up and decent healers look out for each other because dead healers can't heal the tank.

Agreed. If I see the other healer get hit by an attack and I have time between heals, I'll jump on getting their Stoneskin back up. This was one of my personal strategies for Ifrit because that range can be a little tricky when he does that push-back move. If you have Stoneskin up for that and get hit by it, you're still at practically full health.

So for Medica I/II, avoid using II when the adds come. Is it just for the latter part of the fight when her minions come to heal/help her or does this also apply to the stupid razor plumes? Medica II was my best friend in Ifrit, but should I not use it at all during Garuda? Or just under extreme caution?

Also, as a white mage, what's your take on the weapon she drops? It looks like it's a wand instead of a staff (yuck), so it may be better to stick with my Ifrit drop since the wands tend to require a shield for the full stat boost.
#5UrsavusPosted 9/26/2013 8:40:01 AM
The regen on Medica II will get you killed if it's used before or just after the adds come. Once the adds have sufficient enmity elsewhere or taken care of altogether, feel free to use it.

And of course you have Shroud of Saints in case of emergency.
---
Nope.
#6ShadosAtPhoenixPosted 9/26/2013 8:40:48 AM
The fight is actually pretty simple and forgiving. The only thing I'd advise you to do is google up the strategy. Not for the strategy itself, but to find a picture of the pattern the tornados spawn. Its obvious in hindsight, but that was our issue at first. In the midst of the fight, we didn't really take time to look around to make positioning more obvious.

The only thing that matters is that a single tank knows where to position the boss, and that you, as a healer, stay behind. You never want to be in front of Garuda, or in front of the red tether add. Swift cast to raise the inevitable dead dragoons who are too busy watching TV or talk with their girlfriend on the phone helps a lot. Aside for that there isn't much to it. There's a phase where the tank has to run away from you a lot, just use regen during that part, it helps.
#7dsimek_Posted 9/26/2013 8:41:22 AM
She will jump in the air and kill all the rocks. After that, a few more rounds of attacks and she spawns two adds, one with a green line and one with a red. those big adds spawn 3 times during the fight
#8skins25Posted 9/26/2013 8:43:12 AM
magiseanzz posted...
SliceSabre posted...

Agreed. If I see the other healer get hit by an attack and I have time between heals, I'll jump on getting their Stoneskin back up. This was one of my personal strategies for Ifrit because that range can be a little tricky when he does that push-back move. If you have Stoneskin up for that and get hit by it, you're still at practically full health.

So for Medica I/II, avoid using II when the adds come. Is it just for the latter part of the fight when her minions come to heal/help her or does this also apply to the stupid razor plumes? Medica II was my best friend in Ifrit, but should I not use it at all during Garuda? Or just under extreme caution?

Also, as a white mage, what's your take on the weapon she drops? It looks like it's a wand instead of a staff (yuck), so it may be better to stick with my Ifrit drop since the wands tend to require a shield for the full stat boost.

You can use Medica II if you want in the first part of the fight (assuming you aren't spamming).

In the second part of the fight when the tornados begin, you should stop using Medica II because of add aggro. The area is small so everyone should be getting hit by Medica so it shouldn't be a problem. Shroud of Saints is also your friend, I throw that on right before the adds come each time.

Garuda Weapon + Darklight Shield (obtained in Amdapor) >>> Ifrit Weapon.

Lastly, this fight pretty much hinges on your offtank. if your offtank can't grab an add and point it away from everyone, you will lose everytime.
---
"While I make no habit of charity, I could not well abandon so goodly a wench to rogues."
#9magiseanzz(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 8:45:44 AM
Ursavus posted...
The regen on Medica II will get you killed if it's used before or just after the adds come. Once the adds have sufficient enmity elsewhere or taken care of altogether, feel free to use it.

And of course you have Shroud of Saints in case of emergency.

Yeah, that Regen will get you every time. I'll have to watch the video a few more times to make sure I can tell when the adds are about to come.

The problem with healing and not being a melee type is that I'm so fixated on the health bars and my own positioning to be in range of the others that I tend to forget to look at the enemy itself for a split second...and that's what got me the first few times with Ifrit and his football charges. I fixed that with a quickness.

Still, I love healing, and the experience will only help me improve.
#10OtakuGameraPosted 9/26/2013 8:51:19 AM
dont use regens before adds, it instantly gives hate to you.

be aware of agro and take a look at who the adds is aiming at and avoid that guy like the plague

positioning, always stay away from sweeps and aoe ranges.
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/66080697
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg