Idea, new job for GLA

#1malicemizerfanPosted 10/18/2013 9:23:55 PM
Duelist: Plays up that fluff in the class description about not using a shield.

subclass: lnc or pgl

30 skill: Light Stance, using this skill drastically reduces the threat of your skills(ok, it just removes the multiplier on threat produced), and raises your skill speed(15-25%?) when you use it without a shield equipped.

35: Soul Cutter, Combo after riot blade(220), reduces slash resistance of enemy by 10%

40: Bleedout, Causes a cone AoE bleed effect(40 potency, 21 seconds)

45: Hunter's Slash, can only be used on weakened(20% or less enemies) and if it is the kill blow, you charge the next enemy within 15 meters for 150 potency

50: Preparation, Automatically dodges the next attack within 5 seconds and delivers a devastating counter attack(300) disables attack while you're under the effect.

thoughts? OP? Weak? Box of kittens?
---
WARBRO FOREVER!
#2LordBowserPosted 10/18/2013 9:42:08 PM
I hate seeming like I'm shooting down creative ideas, but I don't think it would make sense in the scheme of things. First of all, gladiators are a ridiculously tanky class. Almost every ability is pure defense or enmity related. 6 skills would not be enough in and of itself to change what gladiators are at their core.

More importantly, it feels ... well, a little weak as a job choice. So far, every other job -- even archer's job -- has had a strong theme and presence in the Final Fantasy series, something that stands out as awesome.

Instead of making a new duelist job, though, why not have a new duelist class that wields rapiers? Hell, maybe even a rune-fencers or somesuch that upgrades into a red mage? I can see potential in this, maybe, but not as a new job for paladin.

Out of all the classes in the game, paladin seems like the worst choice to give a new job to. Because, if you are going to add a new job, it needs to be a new role and be able to fit the class well enough to be viable. For instance, giving a DPS-oriented geomancer job to the conjurors would be a good fit, while adding ranger to archers would be a weak fit, even if it fits the theme perfectly.

My two coins.
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
#3Ultima_Weapon33Posted 10/18/2013 9:51:48 PM(edited)
Boring.

Let me try.

30 - Advancing Cut - Replaces Shield Swipe. Only usable after a Critical Strike on Savage Blade, Fast Blade or Rage of Halone. 40 TP, 210 Potency. Increases Critical Strike by 5% and Movement Speed by 10% for 8 seconds, has an extremely fast animation.

35 - Bladewind - The Duelist kneels, then appears at target and does a huge uppercut attack. Range of 15 yalms and decreases target's Intelligence by 10% for 18 seconds. 60 TP, 200 Potency. Cancels combo actions. 30 second cooldown.

40 - Swordplay - Increases Strength by 3, Evasion by 3%, and Accuracy by 3 for every 3 seconds you go without taking moderate damage. Maximum cap of 21. Cooldown 60, cooldown counts when you use it, buff lasts forever until cancelled by enemy.

45 - Riposte - Prepare yourself, parrying the next attack or spell for 100% resistance. Leads combo to Rage of Halone automatically and adds 8% Critical Strike for 6 seconds. 30 second cooldown.

50 - Grand Duel - Enemy can only damage yourself and you can only damage the enemy for 10 seconds. A fancy arena post thing pops up to the side of you and the enemy and pushes others away. Damage to yourself is reduced to half and damage dealt is increased by 100%. 180 second cooldown.

Also yes this would be better as just Fencer -> Rune Fencer? or Fencer->Duelist
---
A true hero never wavers. My place is at the top.
Bring me a real challenge. CHA
#4malicemizerfan(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 9:56:12 PM(edited)
mostly because a whole new class would take me a lot longer to write, and if I did, I'd probably want to write a 2h Sword class(I like great-swords, fun to swing, and they look pretty nice slung across your back)

EDIT: Dug it up removed little blurb about it that used to be here

Class: Swordsman

Uses two handed swords.

up to thirty, DPS

at 30, jobs are a tank, and a DPS job

My guess was for the tank, it would be more of an avoidance tank.

and the DPS would be something similar to monks/marauders, with a branching/free flow system.

I.E. you use strike 1, this puts you into a position to use Strike 2, or strike 3, strike 2 puts you into position to use strike 4, wheras strike 3 opens 5, but you can also chain between these at the same level on the "tree" but you are required to use the proper chain(I.E. if you hit 1, then 2, you can switch to 3, but if you want to move up a tier, you need to use 4, if you choose to use 3 from 2, you have to use 5 to advance)

example combo flows

1-2-4
1-3-5
1-2-3-5-4
1-2-4-5
1-3-2-4-5
1-2-3-2-3-2-4-5-4
---
WARBRO FOREVER!
#5LordBowserPosted 10/18/2013 10:08:10 PM
malicemizerfan posted...
mostly because a whole new class would take me a lot longer to write, and if I did, I'd probably want to write a 2h Sword class(I like great-swords, fun to swing, and they look pretty nice slung across your back)

EDIT: Dug it up removed little blurb about it that used to be here

Class: Swordsman

Uses two handed swords.

up to thirty, DPS

at 30, jobs are a tank, and a DPS job

My guess was for the tank, it would be more of an avoidance tank.

and the DPS would be something similar to monks/marauders, with a branching/free flow system.

I.E. you use strike 1, this puts you into a position to use Strike 2, or strike 3, strike 2 puts you into position to use strike 4, wheras strike 3 opens 5, but you can also chain between these at the same level on the "tree" but you are required to use the proper chain(I.E. if you hit 1, then 2, you can switch to 3, but if you want to move up a tier, you need to use 4, if you choose to use 3 from 2, you have to use 5 to advance)

example combo flows

1-2-4
1-3-5
1-2-3-5-4
1-2-4-5
1-3-2-4-5
1-2-3-2-3-2-4-5-4

Interesting idea, and they would upgrade to Dark Knights, possibly even getting a few abilities on the way leading up to that (in the way gladiators get flash and archers get swiftsong, for instance).
---
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
#6malicemizerfan(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 10:17:06 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of that tier system for the combos maybe to expand on it...

1st tier is your set ups, not great damage, but they open your options/ add effects to other attacks/trigger buffs? low TP cost moves

2nd tier is your utility kind of stuff, Medium TP cost/cooldown hits

3rd was going to be heavy hitters, High cost, your burst hits

was thinking, since you don't want to have it too same-y with WAR in regenerating from your hits and such, maybe a different kind of "style" for the class

Like say a tier 3 attack puts a dot on an enemy, you can then use a tier 2 to consume the dot off the enemy to get back the damage it did as health
---
WARBRO FOREVER!
#7DoctorRPGPosted 10/18/2013 10:29:13 PM
Any job coming off of Gladiator would most likely be a tank.

The next tank will most likely be Samurai, but that would probably come off of Marauder or Lancer.
#8malicemizerfan(Topic Creator)Posted 10/18/2013 10:30:58 PM
really need to make a new topic to discuss the other idea, more merit for it, but I gotta work in 10 min. maybe later.
---
WARBRO FOREVER!
#9LordBowserPosted 10/18/2013 10:33:48 PM
DoctorRPG posted...
Any job coming off of Gladiator would most likely be a tank.

The next tank will most likely be Samurai, but that would probably come off of Marauder or Lancer.

I sincerely hope samurai would be based off of their own unique weapons class. Seeing a samurai wielding a lance or especially an axe disgusts me. No offense. They need proper two handed katanas from a base class. I totally agree with them being tanks though.

And furthermore, I really don't see any reason to add a second job to a class that provides a role it already has. It seems pointless, like a waste of effort. Furthermore, as it is right now, I really don't feel most classes need more than one job. Casters being the exception, of course, and possibly marauder -- out of pity, if for no other reason.
---