that is not instant

pls fix this SE
#2BakusaiTenketsuPosted 12/30/2013 1:14:18 PM
A lot of abilities are like this.
---
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3156/couchpotatocat.gif
#3KosukeKGA(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2013 1:20:58 PM
that's really bad

why would they make them like that and not instant?

WoW is like that and it made perfect sense
#4LanexPosted 12/30/2013 1:30:23 PM
The silence effect works instantly so whats the problem?
Also, the 'instant' means the move requires no TP and can be used instantly even while other moves are on cooldowns. It doesn't necessarily mean it's cast instant with no animation, which would make for a rather dull game.
---
psn Mrlahey84
#5chicostickPosted 12/30/2013 1:33:11 PM
This is the problem with newer MMOs. All the animations add .5 sec to almost 1.5 sec (Talking about hallowed ground here).

This was prevalent in SWTOR as well. Some animations hinder a class ability because of the "windup" etc.

I actually like the animations, adds to the "immersion" but I just wish the abilities actually activates when you press the key not after an animation your character makes.

Btw, speaking of hallowed ground for PLD. I find that activation is faster when moving forward rather than when just "standing".
#6AGx-07_162Posted 12/30/2013 2:13:23 PM
chicostick posted...
This is the problem with newer MMOs. All the animations add .5 sec to almost 1.5 sec (Talking about hallowed ground here).

I actually like the animations, adds to the "immersion" but I just wish the abilities actually activates when you press the key not after an animation your character makes.

Having the ability activate before the animation calls for it would break the immersion though. Look at Overpower? Pre 2.1 the character winds up twice before slamming his axe down to deal the damage. It was slow and annoying (for the purposes of emnity generation) but looked damned cool. How much sense would it make if he wound up once, damage struck and he winds up again and slams the axe and nothing happens?

To fix this they had to change the entire animation to just the axe slam part. It's much more effective an ability now but I enjoy the animation less. I can't necessarily say the animation makes sense for every ability in the game but as long as the animation makes sense for the actual activation, I think they should leave it alone. I'm all for efficiency but I also enjoy things like this and I don't want to see it all go away.
#7Nintendo guyPosted 12/30/2013 2:19:51 PM
Not as bad as when the tank dies because your supposed "instant" Benediction took about fifteen years to actually activate.

Worst part is that it blows the cooldown when this happens, adding insult to injury.
#8chicostickPosted 12/30/2013 2:56:35 PM
Nintendo guy posted...
Not as bad as when the tank dies because your supposed "instant" Benediction took about fifteen years to actually activate.

Worst part is that it blows the cooldown when this happens, adding insult to injury.

How long is the benediction animation/activation? As a tank I've heard my healers some times say that their "benediction" didn't make it in time.
#9DivineWraithPosted 12/30/2013 3:37:39 PM
chicostick posted...
Nintendo guy posted...

How long is the benediction animation/activation? As a tank I've heard my healers some times say that their "benediction" didn't make it in time.

About a second, maybe a little more, for the heal. It comes about half way through the animation. There's some swirlies, and orbs, looks kind of like a tornado. It's not too bad of a delay, but it can be the difference between life and death if you were slow to notice the damage or started using a regular heal before you realized that you should be using benediction.
#10chicostickPosted 12/30/2013 3:54:59 PM
^ I see thanks. Had a weird argument w/ my fc healer the other day (after a Wipe). Each of us were blaming ourselves. I was blaming myself for not using Hallowed Ground in time. He was blaming himself for Benediction not making it in time.

Basically we were both trying to take blame lol.