Ended up buying the game. Which class?

#1TheSchrefPosted 1/9/2014 3:22:46 PM
I'm thinking of maybe trying to tank. I've never played a tank in an MMO before, but I'm kind of leaning towards monks. I heard they're slightly more challenging than other classes which I like. What do you guys think? (I know you can play multiple classes on one character, but I doubt I'll play long enough to do that)
#2Emo Preppy KidPosted 1/9/2014 3:34:27 PM
well your choices fundamentally boil down to whether you want to tank, heal or deal damage. as far as "challenging" classes (a relative term) i would say they include smn, sch, mnk and war. conversely some commonly known to be "easy" classes (again, comparatively) are black mage, bard and paladin. of course i've seen many blms, brds and plds fail miserably but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not a vegetable
---
I wanna have me a phat yacht.
#3BibikiBayBoyPosted 1/9/2014 3:47:13 PM
monk is far from challenging. want challenges? play tanks or healers.

but you're new so monk is good.
#4chicostickPosted 1/9/2014 3:49:47 PM
Play the class that interest you the most. If you end up not liking it down the road, you can switch to another class.
#5AGx-07_162Posted 1/9/2014 3:54:07 PM
BibikiBayBoy posted...
monk is far from challenging. want challenges? play tanks or healers.

but you're new so monk is good.

I haven't played MNK myself but I think he means being a "good" Monk. I do know that to maintain the best possible DPS output you have to position yourself correctly for certain skills and then there's maintaining GL.
#6BakusaiTenketsuPosted 1/9/2014 3:59:47 PM
Everything becomes trivial as you get better at it, so there is no real "difficult" class. However, some classes don't start off face roll easy and have little nuances that you need to get used to and master to become awesome.

Challenging Classes:
Monk
Summoner

Slightly difficult:
Dragoon
Scholar
Warrior

Average, only difficult on stress:
Paladin
White Mage

Faceroll easy:
Black Mage
Bard
---
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3156/couchpotatocat.gif
#7TheSchref(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2014 5:07:54 PM
This is a hard decision, lol. I want to get quick easy groups by playing a tank, but I have a feeling I won't like it.
#8Raven_ShikumiPosted 1/9/2014 7:42:55 PM
There's nothing difficult about the healers or tanks in this game.

Monk is the one class that requires a player be fully alert and cognizant of their surroundings at all time.

If you don't take up the right position, if you mess up the rotation, you'll end up doing absolutely poor dps.

You have to manage all that, while also dodging mechanics during encounters, all while there is a timer ticking down to "your damage is about to suck".

Compare being a good MNK to doing ANYTHING else in this game, and you'll see just how easy it is to be something else.