How many MMOs out there have a world this depressing?

#1YukitoRamboPosted 6/12/2014 9:32:35 AM
It was quite a WTF moment when I went through Ifrit's quest.

Then the straight up murders during Garleans's raid on you-know-where. Plus they made our toon personally help with carrying their corpse for burial.

Just when i thought that things could settle down, Leviathan showed up, and the rest of the Primals got stronger, meaning more people abducted and killed.

At the same time, politcians and corporations took after our own in asshattery and make all this worse.

My character would probably commit suicide after Leviathan if both her and Eorzea were real. She wouldnt be seeing any hope in saving a world that seems hellbent on destroying itself, and she wouldnt want to be a part of it.
---
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" - Alexander Pope
#2tipntopPosted 6/12/2014 9:36:35 AM
/mdance can help make her feel better
---
Christmas trees are eating the pavement,
The pavement is eating old ladies
#3IsiliaPosted 6/12/2014 9:37:40 AM
Well, the world just ended a short time ago. Anything after that is actually a positive note for them :o
---
http://i.imgur.com/JFYhdtk.gif | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2937700/
#4Sir WillPosted 6/12/2014 10:06:21 AM
Isilia posted...
Well, the world just ended a short time ago. Anything after that is actually a positive note for them :o

Hehe, good point. What we've gone through in 2.0 isn't the worst these people have experienced in the last decade.
---
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'
#5gohobojoePosted 6/12/2014 10:06:25 AM
Let's see now...

There's quite a bit of racism in the game, even on the Imperial's side, Ul'dah has immigrant and survivor overload, as well as an organized crime syndicate, meaning many part of the Immortal Flame are corrupted by greed.
---
"I don't care. I just want to fight a big ass train that's made of doom." - ChaozCloud, FFXIV board
#6AlessarPosted 6/12/2014 10:06:25 AM
Compared to a lot of MMOs, this world is pretty darn cheerful.
#7Miggi3Fr3shPosted 6/12/2014 10:52:23 AM
XI was hell of a lot more depressing than this game. If you played through all of the story lines it is really crazy and some parts a bit touching. Makes XIV feel like a children's show.
---
3DS: 3351-4111-5844 FS: Excadrill, Forretress, Mawile
#8Edwardthe4thPosted 6/12/2014 10:58:50 AM
That could be why elistists are such asses:

"Come on guys! I want to make the world a better place NOW! Quit sucking!:
#9eastgotenksPosted 6/12/2014 12:07:05 PM
WoW would be a lot more depressing than this game's world. There is like always something trying to destroy the world and invade from other dimensions... Illidan, lich king, deathwing, ect. They never get a break. And they face all these threats knowing that the burning legion could invade at any damn moment.
#10NestamaPosted 6/12/2014 2:15:36 PM(edited)
Miggi3Fr3sh posted...
XI was hell of a lot more depressing than this game. If you played through all of the story lines it is really crazy and some parts a bit touching. Makes XIV feel like a children's show.

I dunno. I don't remember FFXI having a few NPC's with implied... "violated against their will" dialogue. In FFXIV, there's a Highlander NPC who was by the Corpse Brigade and there was another moment where it was implied an Ala Mhigan mother and her daughter? sister? chose to jump to their deaths rather than "serve" the Imperials again. Also brainwashing children and all that ilk. (oh yeah, most of the women in Sastasha are there against their will).

There's also Bloody Amandine (Mary), who possibly bathed in the blood of her maidens to retain her beauty. Edda the Conjurer who carries the head of her deceased fiance (final boss of Tam-Tara HM supposedly), the Adventurer's you met outside of Sastasha and Tam-Tara (who I thought were going to be NPC rivals of sorts) are all dead, with their corpses discovered in Copperbell Mines by another couple of adventurers, the Inquisition in Coerthas, etc.

Just remembered the Lambs of Dalamud. In Dark Devices, the cult lures adventurers to kill and offer their blood to the fallen Hound of Menphina (Dalamud).
---
FFXI - Valefor: Nestama
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1729096/