Which do you find more satisfying to play, scholar or white mage?

#11arjames13Posted 8/23/2014 6:24:55 AM
-Virtua- posted...
The question is, how many people who have both at 50 answered this poll?

I have both. Originally played WHM then stopped playing. Came back and decided to try scholar and liked it a lot more.

Using the same gear they are both at ilvl 96 now. I tried playing WHM again on gurada extreme and I just felt like I was balls to the wall all the time and tanks took more damage. Maybe I'm just too used to scholar but it was a jarring experience and I'll probably never play WHM again.
---
PSN ID: Fangnfx
#12SuperZayPosted 8/23/2014 7:21:28 AM(edited)
arjames13 posted...
I tried playing WHM again on gurada extreme and I just felt like I was balls to the wall all the time and tanks took more damage.

That's an illusion. Tanks took the same damage. It's just SCH makes it harder to see real numbers onscreen because of mitigated damage.
In very simple terms, SCH's Adloquium = WHM's Cure+Stoneskin combined. You can see the 'Cure' part but damage mitigated by 'Stoneskin' part is not visible.
That doesn't mean SCH is a better healer, just a more complicated one. WHM is an old-fashioned raw, simple healing without SCH's gimmicks.
#13aimless_saintPosted 8/23/2014 8:13:51 AM
Have both class at 50, taken on every piece of content out of Savage with both of them, nothing beats a clutch Bene or Cure 3.
---
>opinions
#14sabeta_samaPosted 8/23/2014 1:19:17 PM
I love Scholar, everything feels so methodical and pre-planned. The entire kit just flows so well for me. Tossing up an Adlo, Cleric Stancing, and then throwing out my DoTs before switching back is awesome. Having Eos spot heal during that is even better, and being able to pop Lustrates if something crazy happens is even better still.

People say double White Mage is the preferred stack if you have to double up, but I prefer double SCH. Graniteskin isn't much in the face of an Adlo, Proshell doesn't mean anything with Fey Covenant. Keeping Whispering Dawn on 60% up time, which is a free, more potent Medica II, and being able to easily alternate E4E, Supervirus, and Fey Illumination are just icing on the cake.

"But muh shields don't stack." That's because you're thinking of it wrong. Succor is still 300 potency (Medica) and double casting it is double the opportunity to Crit. Crit shields will override weaker ones, and since single target healing (or hell, double target) is not even contested by WHM it leaves the only real advantage to Cure III. (Embrace is basically a better, free Regen)

All that being said, White Mage is nowhere near bad. I just don't like them much. They aren't really involved enough for me. You basically hit three buttons and that's all there is to it.
---
Friend Code: 2750-1323-9857 - Anna
Safari Type: Fire [Growlithe, Larvesta, Braixen]
#15agesboyPosted 8/23/2014 1:23:02 PM
sabeta_sama posted...
Crit shields will override weaker ones,

Only adlo gets the bonus from crit, dude. Succor does not. Notice how the tooltips are different?
---
http://i.imgur.com/LabbRyN.jpg
raytan and Kana are on opposite ends of the Awesome Spectrum.
#16darkqueenhelbaPosted 8/23/2014 2:15:15 PM
I think the reason I don't like how SCH is implemented in the game is it just doesn't make much sense to me. SCHs are supposed to be tacticians. I could understand SCHs having some types of healing attributes, but overall I think it would make more sense if they had a broader ranger of abilities. For instance, being able to setup more defensive type walls like Sacred Soil or setting field traps for enemies, or even being able to manipulate objects in the environment or at least being in charge of certain strategies.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#17Ein_Soph(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2014 2:43:56 PM
darkqueenhelba posted...
I think the reason I don't like how SCH is implemented in the game is it just doesn't make much sense to me. SCHs are supposed to be tacticians. I could understand SCHs having some types of healing attributes, but overall I think it would make more sense if they had a broader ranger of abilities. For instance, being able to setup more defensive type walls like Sacred Soil or setting field traps for enemies, or even being able to manipulate objects in the environment or at least being in charge of certain strategies.

I guess the strategy part would be "managing your pet".
---
Bougyo no tame no bougyo nashi. "There is no defense for defense's sake." - Kendo saying.
PSN: Spearman-Rho
#18darkqueenhelbaPosted 8/23/2014 3:16:39 PM
Ein_Soph posted...
darkqueenhelba posted...

I guess the strategy part would be "managing your pet".

Yeah, that's another thing. SCHs just don't seem like the kind of Job to have a pet to me.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#19NidoDariusPosted 8/23/2014 4:04:55 PM
Now that I finally have the exact same gear on both (bar a few difference on weapon itemization) I have to say that they feel exactly the same in different ways. Except scholar has the disability of having a pet.
#20benjjjaminPosted 8/23/2014 4:33:14 PM
I am amazed that no one has tried to posture that everyone who says sch and whm gear overlap are terrible.and that their crit scholars **** on you.

I like whm better. After coming from rift where all the healers were these indirect gimmicky healers where yiu were a shield healer. A dot healer. A hot healer. A deal damage to heal healer.....

...its nice to just freaking heal. No gimmicks. Just the real mccoy.
---
If Square pulls off this reboot of FF14, it'll be the biggest comeback in videogaming since the first Final Fantasy.