So we can all agree.

#1SakuraiyaPosted 8/23/2014 10:25:57 AM
That the majority of people that raid on this game use Parse, yes? Thus, breaking the ToS of the game.

If there's any people that use Parse. Does it help you? You're not afraid of being banned? Not a troll topic, just wondering. I can see it being useful since from what I've read it tells you your DPS and blah blah, but yeah.
---
3DS: 0834-1353-9679 PSN: Sachiko-Chan Nintendo I'D: Mandikiri MH3U HR 53
Steam: Mandikiri Xbox Live: xXDreadAngelXx Friend Safari: Water
#2ZhacariasPosted 8/23/2014 10:27:16 AM
The purpose of parsing is to maximize potential fps output. Really, if you know how to play the class then it doesnt really matter.
#3ZanimarPosted 8/23/2014 10:30:35 AM
Zhacarias posted...
The purpose of parsing is to maximize potential fps output.

Wait... parsing is able to increase the fps of the game? I've never heard of anyone saying that. O.o
---
Steam - Renryuu
3DS FC - 3007-8283-2971
#4K4P_LinkPosted 8/23/2014 10:40:14 AM
I don't parse but if I did id probably laugh at how bad some people in SCoB suck. PuG's fail cause of people who don't even realize how much they suck at their job.
---
http://www.enjin.com/profile/4687038
Ever Infinity : http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1580697/
#5Joker_X_IIPosted 8/23/2014 11:21:37 AM
Zhacarias posted...
The purpose of parsing is to maximize potential DPS output. Really, if you know how to play the class then it doesnt really matter.

fixed,......and "hell no" it doesn't...

1% of the population in ANY MMO used it for that semi-honourable reason....

the rest of the 99% are wannabe elitist poseurs that create this invisible standard of how DPS 'should be'...
#6Ardeth_of_LightPosted 8/23/2014 11:30:29 AM
Does it measure your dps in a way to better yourself? Yes. Is it illegal? Yes. Double standard? Yes. Do people use it for that? Sometimes. There's your problem right there. The game doesn't need it. If fact no game needs it. Dpsing has enough sandbags on it already. Long que times. The fact that the other 2/3 of the trinity thinks they're incompetent. Competition between yourselves. Meta game dbags. Can we just play the game. I did enough dps you know how I know? The boss is dead.
---
I felt like I was watching a dream Id never wake up from Hmp. Before I knew it, the dream was all over.
#7ShadygrovePosted 8/23/2014 11:39:06 AM
Sakuraiya posted...
That the majority of people that raid on this game use Parse, yes? Thus, breaking the ToS of the game.

No. Remember this is a game for casuals. I think it safe to say that hardly anyone who isn't into heavy endgame raiding uses the parser. No PS 3 or 4 players can use it. And I doubt that even 1/2 of the heavy end game raiders use it. Yes, it is against the ToS.

Parse. Does it help you? You're not afraid of being banned? Not a troll topic, just wondering. I can see it being useful since from what I've read it tells you your DPS and blah blah, but yeah.

It is clientside. Squenix has no way to detect it. Not just yours, your whole party's. If you use it do not tell anyone in game about it, don't mention it on the official forums.

P. S. I don't use it.
---
The Democrats are dumb and the Republicans are stupid. The difference between dumb and stupid is dumb isn't funny, stupid is seriously funny. - Lewis Black
#8Quiet_NoisePosted 8/23/2014 11:59:26 AM
Ardeth_of_Light posted...
Does it measure your dps in a way to better yourself? Yes. Is it illegal? Yes. Double standard? Yes. Do people use it for that? Sometimes. There's your problem right there. The game doesn't need it. If fact no game needs it. Dpsing has enough sandbags on it already. Long que times. The fact that the other 2/3 of the trinity thinks they're incompetent. Competition between yourselves. Meta game dbags. Can we just play the game. I did enough dps you know how I know? The boss is dead.

Have you considered the alternative to your theory? Every time the boss didn't die, it's because you didn't DPS enough.

But that's very likely not the case with the vast majority of wipes. This line of thinking is really selfish and just deflects the fact you're making mistakes. Parsers may lead to some hurt feelings and some nasty arguments, but those things crop up in any progression based MMO where a player is failing.

Making parsers "unacceptable" for use only means raid leaders have to physically watch the dps on top of all other mechanics to ensure they're properly maintaining their rotation. Self parsing every fight and noticing a dps loss in only 1 of the fights may give you a clue that you aren't effeciently dealing with a mechanic ...

I've noticed time and time again across 10 years of playing MMOs that the only people who throw out comments such as "I just want to play the game" or the like are those who would never attempt to be in a progression-based raid environment in the first place, who very much don't know/care about optimizing their gear for BiS, and balk at the idea of losing to a fight for two or even three weeks just to learn the 3rd of a series of 5 three minute phases.

End game content is brutally difficult for groups who are only beginning to cut their teeth on it, and while they are largely based on mechanics, optimizing your DPS so that you can choose when to push into phases, or handle the fight in a new manner, is absolutely essential. Parsers are the only tangible way to consistently prove one method is better than the other.
---
3566 - 1560 - 6873
#9benjjjaminPosted 8/23/2014 12:08:34 PM
I use it for feedback on performance. I would say that most people done with T9 use it and about half the people with T8 wins use it.

Everyone with the parsers use them for personal improvement. Its just that a solid number also use it to call people out in inappropriate settings because of their bad personalities.

I fired up act when i got my high lance just to see. Then put it back in the bin.

If you run it during a dungeon you probably fall into the bad personality category.
---
If Square pulls off this reboot of FF14, it'll be the biggest comeback in videogaming since the first Final Fantasy.
#10sabeta_samaPosted 8/23/2014 12:08:40 PM
I use Parsers for a variety of reasons, but none of them are to call out bad players.
I hardly need a parser to tell me that a Dragoon sucks because he's not using Heavy Thrust, or that the healer is having a rough time because the tank can't pop cooldowns.

These things are all obvious, and IMO the only people who need a parser to justify themselves better than that are likely not doing well themselves. (Was in a T6 group once where a summoner bragged that his 223 DPS was vastly superior to the rest of the rest of the party)

My group primarily uses it to find ways we can be better. I personally love parsing my HPS/% Overheal against other healers, and also referencing my cast times to see if I was ahead of boss abilities. I'm slowly whittling down my over healing to become more efficient, without letting people die and being able to maintain around 200 DPS (More if I burst with Energy Drain) during low healing segments.

Each of the tanks likes to parse how much/ how well they mitigated damage, and of course maintained DPS while doing so.

I don't think I need to explain why DPS might be interested in it though.
---
Friend Code: 2750-1323-9857 - Anna
Safari Type: Fire [Growlithe, Larvesta, Braixen]