About Arcanist/Summoner

#1XCrimsonSamuraiPosted 12/5/2012 5:09:14 PM
Any info as to how Primals will be used? Will they be like Avatars in FFXI where you summon them and command them to use abilities via Blood Pact as well as auto-attack, or will things be more classical, where a Primal is summoned to carry out one task and then they'll disappear?

I had sort of imagined the new Primals would be used in the form of spells perhaps. You'd gain access to spells based on your level and what Primals you have access to, and casting those spells would bring fourth the Primals to carry out that spell for you.

For example, say you have Healing Ruby as a spell, and cast it. Carbuncle would be called fourth and use the spell to heal someone, or Flaming Crush would be cast, and you'd have Ifrit come out and pound the enemy into next week. This would make Primals much more akin to classic Summons, yet it would also be like FFXI and using Blood Pacts, only you don't have to have your Avatar sitting out, constantly draining your MP and either missing, or hitting the enemy for 12 points of damage during BP cooldowns.
---
PSN ID: CrimsonSamuraiX
#2Jinxey86Posted 12/5/2012 8:12:10 PM
All that is really known, is that you summon the essence of the Primal, but not the real thing. So basically a smaller version of it.
#3Maxo996Posted 12/5/2012 8:37:03 PM
Different variants of Carbuncle (tank, mage, fighter, etc) will be used by the Arcanist. I believe I read they are looking at 4 primal summons (prolly Ifrit, Garuda, Titan, something) for Summoner when it's first released with more to be added. I don't know if they've talked more about how Summoner might actually work, it's still up in the air if it'll make 2.0 launch.
---
Hi. How ya' doin'?
#4XCrimsonSamurai(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 8:58:31 PM
Jinxey86 posted...
All that is really known, is that you summon the essence of the Primal, but not the real thing. So basically a smaller version of it.

Well yeah, that's exactly how it worked in FFXI.

I'm just curious about the system of Primals and how they function in combat all together honestly. You'd think they'd touch on the basics at the very least, even if they don't intend to release Summoner at ARR launch. Arcanist should still follow the fundamentals of summoning, even if it's just Carbuncle. Summoner will just offer a greater variety of Primals to be used, but how will they be used in combat? That's the question on my mind.
---
#5ShibutoPosted 12/5/2012 8:59:35 PM
They're not going to be the actual summons like Ifrit or Garuda but rather elements of them. Summoning Primals is still under consideration.
---
I own all 3 systems therefore I am unbiased: 360 > PS3 >> Wii -Bill Gates Son
#6ClausudoPosted 12/6/2012 5:12:43 AM
I've read somewhere that we will get Titan and Odin on FFXIV. I may be wrong or right.
---
I will be FFXIV player very soon! Let us shall make good memories!!! :]
#7XCrimsonSamurai(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 6:01:07 AM
Shibuto posted...
They're not going to be the actual summons like Ifrit or Garuda but rather elements of them. Summoning Primals is still under consideration.

Lol, the way you word that makes it sound like Summoners are going to get the crappy Elementals from FFXI instead of full summons.

But I think I know what you mean, like Jinxey said, the essence of the Primals will be what is summoned. Again, this is the same as FFXI. You summon a fraction of the full Avatar, but I would still think that what you summon would look exactly like the Primal, would it not? Just limited in power.
---
#8xenosaga123Posted 12/6/2012 9:58:46 AM
Based on the art, you summon like a "infant" version of the primal.

They aren't generic elementals, but they aren't the large primals either.

though it still stands that Summoner pets will possess some abilities of the Primal, so they will be strong and helpful pets.
#9Destroyer_MagePosted 12/7/2012 8:00:05 AM
Like a Boss!!!
http://rosehusky.com/ffxiv/ss/Titan.jpg
---
Because I could not stop for death,it kindly stopped for me.
Currently playing Sleeping Dogs.Sleeping Dogs is a true gem and more people should play it :)
#10servb0tsPosted 12/10/2012 5:54:03 PM
As long aswe have pets & can used them,besides being healers or buffs, I'm all for Destruction.
---
PSN Qornut. Own Nintendo & Sony systems. 08/18/11 R.I.P Megaman Legends 3
-PS3 FFXIV ARR 2.0 Day 1 Buy I can't wait to maxout Summoner