How does the Class/Job System Work?

#1I2aScAIIPosted 6/1/2013 11:24:07 PM
I missed FFXI, but I'm super excited to get back into an MMO with A Realm Reborn. I was going through the information and I'm a little confused at how the system works.

Do you get to choose a class from each Disciple? You get to switch Disciple's at anytime by changing your weapon?

How do these classes feed into Jobs? can I switch Jobs throughout the game?

Thanks!
---
CURRENTLY PLAYING: Final Fantasy XIII-2, Sleeping Dogs, Persona 4: The Golden
GAMES WANTED: Tales of Xillia, Lightning Returns
#2Y35jd4Posted 6/1/2013 11:49:36 PM
You pick a class from the Disciplines of War and Magic when you make your character.

War:

Gladiator
Pugilist
Marauder
Archer
Lancer

Magic:

Conjurer
Thaumaturge
Arcanist

You can switch between them by changing your equipment at any time outside of active combat.

There are also classes for Gathering and Crafting called Disciplines of the Land and Hand, but you can't pick them as your starting class.

Land:

Botanist
Miner
Fisher

Hand:

Blacksmith
Armorer
Carpenter
Goldsmith
Leatherworker
Weaver
Alchemist
Culinarian

Again, just change your equipment when not in combat and you change your class.

Jobs (at least in 1.0) were acquired after attaining level 30 in a job, and level 15 in a secondary job, and then completing a quest.

For Example:
Gladiator 30 and Conjurer 15 allowed you to complete the quest for the Paladin job.

Completing the quest awarded you an item called Soul of the Paladin, which you could equip on your Gladiator, which would specialize you into a Paladin. Unequipping it turns you back into a Gladiator.

If you leveled Paladin from 31-36 and then changed back into a Gladiator, your Gladiator would also be level 36.

Classes are better for solo play, jobs are better for group play, though you can solo as a job and group as a class.

Gladiator -> Paladin
Marauder -> Warrior
Pugilist -> Monk
Archer -> Bard
Lancer -> Dragoon

Conjurer -> White Mage
Thaumaturge -> Black Mage
Arcanist -> Summoner and maybe Scholar (we aren't sure how this will work yet.
#3Tsukasa1891Posted 6/2/2013 6:38:10 AM
i could of sworn i read that class swapping will send you to the level you left off with in that class if you go back.
---
GameFAQs, where the glass is always half empty.
#4I2aScAII(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2013 10:22:21 AM
Thanks for the info!

Do you always choose 1 class from Disciples of War and 1 from Disciples of Magic? Is their a Primary/Secondary or do you just choose to switch between both until you get to level 30/15?

This sounds interesting. The jobs I'd love to play as are White Mage and Bard. It'd be cool to know my character could be both.

I'm really stoked to get back into a MMO.
---
#5Y35jd4Posted 6/2/2013 1:46:22 PM
I2aScAII posted...
Thanks for the info!

Do you always choose 1 class from Disciples of War and 1 from Disciples of Magic? Is their a Primary/Secondary or do you just choose to switch between both until you get to level 30/15?

This sounds interesting. The jobs I'd love to play as are White Mage and Bard. It'd be cool to know my character could be both.

I'm really stoked to get back into a MMO.

Sorry, I can see how you'd think that from what I wrote. When you create your character, you choose 1 class from either Discipline of War OR Discipline of Magic, not one of each.

You can change to any class you want, from any Discipline, at any time as long as you aren't in active battle. As you level classes you earn class abilities.

There isn't a primary/secondary job per se, you are only ever 1 Class or Job. Want to cure? Be a Conjurer, want to punch? Change to Pugilist.

But lets imagine you level Conjurer because you want to make White mage your main.

Now imagine you are a little tired of leveling Conjurer all the time and want to change for a bit, so you start leveling Archer (by simply changing your equipped weapon from a Wand to a Bow), so that later you can make yourself a Bard.

As an Archer, you can equip and use some of the spells you learned while leveling Conjurer, like cure for example, that you wouldn't be able to use if you'd not leveled Conjurer.

You can use abilities and spells from other classes while you are leveling a class, but Jobs can only use abilities and spells from the classes that spawned it.

For example, Pugilist can use certain skills from ANY other class you have leveled, but once you specialize it into Monk, you can only use skills from the jobs that spawned it, so skills from Pugilist and Lancer.

That is why Classes work better for soloing and Jobs work better for group play.

Any Class can equip and use "Cure" as long as you've leveled Conjurer, so you can heal yourself, not so with every job.

Does that make it clearer at all?
#6I2aScAII(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2013 4:06:38 PM
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I'm assuming stat gains are different for each class/job you're playing as correct?

I'm basically thinking that you'll only ever need 1 character if you can switch between jobs at any given time to play them all, but there has to be some caveat. I can't level a White Mage (Conjurer) the whole time and then all of a sudden change my mind and switch it to Dragoon (Lancer).

Regardless, this sounds pretty cool though. I like how you're not limited to one class :)
---
#7I2aScAII(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2013 4:13:52 PM
Nvm! I just read the sticky here. It seems you only need 1 character to play the every class/job. That's pretty cool to be honest.

One final question and I'll be set to go. When you switch classes, you basically start again at lvl 1 (or whatever lvl you got to for the class) right?

Thanks again for all the information!
---
#8Y35jd4Posted 6/2/2013 4:21:19 PM
I2aScAII posted...
Nvm! I just read the sticky here. It seems you only need 1 character to play the every class/job. That's pretty cool to be honest.

One final question and I'll be set to go. When you switch classes, you basically start again at lvl 1 (or whatever lvl you got to for the class) right?

Yep you've got it.

Level Archer to level 21

Change to Lancer

Level Lancer to 15

Switch to Archer

Archer is level 21

Lancer is level 15

All jobs that haven't been leveled are level 1
#9solidsmoke69Posted 6/2/2013 6:01:54 PM
Y35jd4 posted...
I2aScAII posted...

Yep you've got it.

Level Archer to level 21

Change to Lancer

Level Lancer to 15

Switch to Archer

Archer is level 21

Lancer is level 15

All jobs that haven't been leveled are level 1

So by switching your weapon u also change ur job and lol also how much inventory space do u get?
#10Tsukasa1891Posted 6/2/2013 6:03:50 PM
Y35jd4

if that's the case, does jobs get higher stats then just classes. if not might be better to just use classes.
---
GameFAQs, where the glass is always half empty.