My friend asked me how FF14 justifies a monthly sub when games like GW2 are f2p

#1SyggysPosted 6/17/2013 4:32:34 AM
I'm just interested in what gfaqs thinks. Maybe someone more clued up can give me teh infos. He said they even patch it regulalry and add new content for free, and are able to pay for this without the need for a subscription. So how did they do that without charging a monthly fee?

I have played other mmos that don't have a sub fee, and the quality was definitely lower, but apparently that wasn't true for GW?
---
UK/EU
PSN: SygBoss
#2teffyPosted 6/17/2013 4:45:00 AM(edited)
GW2 adds content very slowly (a small update every SEVERAL months) and charges full retail price for expansion packs. P2P games generally add more content faster and charge less for expansion packs - FFXI had 2 expansions included at US launch and future expansions were ~$20 each. They also regularly include older packs in the basic purchase as time goes on (XI had an annual "Vana'Diel Collection" with the base game + all expansions for $30), while Buy-to-Play always charges full retail for the base game and each expansion.
---
But... you didn't even any sense. At all. - gandob
#3Bestia_SomniaPosted 6/17/2013 4:46:52 AM
I heard that GW2 got to a point where you'd have done everything worth doing and were reduced to just waiting on an expansion.

SE lost a ton of money with vanilla FFXIV flopping and having to rebuild the whole game again, and for 3 platforms. They have to make their money somehow if we want FFXIV to live on. SE's servers also need to handle cross-platform play across PC & PS3 (eventually PS4 players too) with as little delay between them as possible. I've never seen a cross-platform MMO before.
---
Anticipating; FFXIV ARR, Castlevania LoS2, JoJo's All-Star Battle, Destiny, Drive Club, Lego Marvel Superheroes, The Witness, Knack, Battlefield 4
#4yamisniperPosted 6/17/2013 4:49:06 AM
more focus on content less focus on how to get more money through the cash shop its as simple as that plus you actully pay more throw the cash shop if you use it
#5KamLanautPosted 6/17/2013 4:52:06 AM
yamisniper posted...
more focus on content less focus on how to get more money through the cash shop its as simple as that plus you actully pay more throw the cash shop if you use it

So true. I blew $250 in 2 weeks playing Aion.
#6kamikaze135Posted 6/17/2013 6:33:44 AM
With ARR, you'll get more content at a faster rate.
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#7sicko26usPosted 6/17/2013 6:39:24 AM
Your friend has a good point, IMO it is not good enough to survive as a pay MMO. But it was only the first weekend, let's hope they improve it before next weekend.
---
Motomu Toriyama is the worst writer in the history of video games, if you agree add this quote.
#8Tsukasa1891Posted 6/17/2013 6:40:25 AM
because free to play also means pay to win with micro transactions. also with free to play it's only a matter of time until the creators don't care about the game any more and it takes 6 months - a year to get a update.
---
GameFAQs, where the glass is always half empty.
#9Illusions1980Posted 6/17/2013 7:18:43 AM
teffy posted...
GW2 adds content very slowly (a small update every SEVERAL months) and charges full retail price for expansion packs. P2P games generally add more content faster and charge less for expansion packs - FFXI had 2 expansions included at US launch and future expansions were ~$20 each. They also regularly include older packs in the basic purchase as time goes on (XI had an annual "Vana'Diel Collection" with the base game + all expansions for $30), while Buy-to-Play always charges full retail for the base game and each expansion.

Actually, FFXI only included one xpac, and that was at the US launch. The game had already been out for like a year in Japan, that's why there was already an xpac that came with the US release.

Anyway... difference between free to play Vs. pay to play...

Free to play-
Guild Wars and GW2 cost full retail, with each xpac costing full retail as well... ($59.99)
Sometimes these games are FREE to play the initial game, however the xpacs cost money, and they rely heavily on a cash shop to advance. Usually people refer to this as "pay to win", because it's hard to advance too far in the game without spending money.
People often end up spending quite a bit of money on these games, because of their "need" to be superior and "win" without having to put in so much effort. It's the same concept as people who buy characters or in game currency for P2P games. They would rather spend money then put in time to get things.

Pay to play-
While pay to play games sometimes cost full retail $59.99, they can often cost less, which is the case for FFXIV ARR.
Xpacs almost always cost less to buy as well... usually between $30-$40.
The games usually get updated a lot more. Not just with new content, but patches to fix things as well.
Customer service is usually a LOT better, as there's usually GMs available to talk to 24 hours a day for any issues.
Everyone is on equal ground, and there is no "pay to win"... you get out of the game what you put into it.

Call me old school, but I much prefer P2P games. I've tried several F2P games, and never found one I enjoyed as much. I most enjoy the fact that everyone is on equal ground and you can't/don't have to pay to win.
---
PSN: Illusions1980
#10TiegerJDPosted 6/17/2013 7:47:01 AM
Illusions1980 posted...
teffy posted...

Free to play-
Guild Wars and GW2 cost full retail, with each xpac costing full retail as well... ($59.99)
Sometimes these games are FREE to play the initial game, however the xpacs cost money, and they rely heavily on a cash shop to advance. Usually people refer to this as "pay to win", because it's hard to advance too far in the game without spending money.
People often end up spending quite a bit of money on these games, because of their "need" to be superior and "win" without having to put in so much effort. It's the same concept as people who buy characters or in game currency for P2P games. They would rather spend money then put in time to get things.

Call me old school, but I much prefer P2P games. I've tried several F2P games, and never found one I enjoyed as much. I most enjoy the fact that everyone is on equal ground and you can't/don't have to pay to win.

There is absolutely no P2W in GW. All that is available for cash is aesthetic costumes, mini pets, extra storage, dyes and other optional vanity fluff.
None of it, absolutely none of it is required or needed to advance in the game or "win".
None of it provides stat increases etc that would separate you from other players.
It is all vanity/aesthetic.

GW/GW2 manages to survive without a sub, because they know that giving people the choice to buy optional fluff brings them in alot more sales than demanding a sub every month. They do not force you to buy anything to advance in the game.
I personally have nothing against subs, I make my decisions based on the game.

Whilst there are F2P games that milk players with terrible cash shops that are practically required to advance. GW/GW2 is not one of them, so that was a terrible example.

With regards to GW charging full price for all its expansions and P2P games do bundles:
There is technically only 1 expansion for GW.
Eye of the North.
Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall all function as standalone games that is why they get charged at full price. Eye of the North requires only one of those to be installed.
And bundles:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guild-Wars-Platinum-Edition-PC/dp/B000RMNF76/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1371480066&sr=8-4&keywords=guild+wars

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NCsoft-Guild-Wars-Complete-Collection/dp/B001CSMF48/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1371480066&sr=8-16&keywords=guild+wars

GW2 expansions are likely to follow the norm with pricing. Because they are doing away with the standalone nature. They will function as proper expansions.
---
Vagrant Story
Level 16 Grand Master Breaker : Sweeper Of The Dark