Monthly Fee

#1dooms14Posted 6/30/2013 11:30:36 AM
Why does this game have a monthly fee, what does this game have to offer that other MMOs have. Why cant they ask you to pay once then its yours forever.
---
"Now you can shoot him in his gizzard and he just walks away laughing at ya', have you ever been shot in the gizzard?"
#2AscendancyMMPosted 6/30/2013 11:39:08 AM
MMO's cost money to maintain. You think the servers that will house thousands of players will just exist without revenue? Think of like a site that needs donations to stay alive, they don't just magically stay open.

Money equals you get to experience fun. I think it's fine. It's like $13 a month. Just don't buy a super sized McDonalds meal with extra McNuggets & you'll be fine.
---
3DS Friend Code: FC: 3024-5290-4836
PLAYSTATION NETWORK: Shoryyuken
#3MalefactionPosted 6/30/2013 11:40:28 AM
Guild Wars 2 exists just fine without a monthly fee.
---
There is no love in your violence.
#4mmelzer2004Posted 6/30/2013 11:41:30 AM
But is content consistently rolled out? (I don't know, I'm asking)
---
Currently Playing - Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3 Beta)
#5YeloazndevilPosted 6/30/2013 11:41:39 AM
Malefaction posted...
Guild Wars 2 exists just fine without a monthly fee.

yea but where are the content updates? nowhere expansions? have to pay for those
---
GT/PSN/NNID: Yeloazndevil
#6Ghost_BeastPosted 6/30/2013 11:44:01 AM
mmelzer2004 posted...
But is content consistently rolled out? (I don't know, I'm asking)

I am buying regardless, but would also like to know this as well. New content consistently, or just via expansions?
#7ilovecarebearsPosted 6/30/2013 11:46:43 AM
SE has to rent / buy property to house the servers. Then they have to buy servers that can handle millions of people. Then they have to pay the giant electricity bill for those servers. Then they have to continue to pay the development team to add content. Mmos are persistent. Keeping something going at all times cost money. It's either you pay or there wouldn't be a ff14 or its free to pay with a cash store that ends up costing alot /locking you out of many features /items.

Mmos have been like this for almost 15 years now buddy, and 1299 is totally reasonable. Wow was 15
#8mmelzer2004Posted 6/30/2013 11:50:15 AM
ilovecarebears posted...
SE has to rent / buy property to house the servers. Then they have to buy servers that can handle millions of people. Then they have to pay the giant electricity bill for those servers. Then they have to continue to pay the development team to add content. Mmos are persistent. Keeping something going at all times cost money. It's either you pay or there wouldn't be a ff14 or its free to pay with a cash store that ends up costing alot /locking you out of many features /items.

Mmos have been like this for almost 15 years now buddy, and 1299 is totally reasonable. Wow was 15

In WoW's defense, the pricing is the same (lower pricing for longer subscription options).

But yeah, as a gamer in general, a P2P game is much more beneficial than F2P (where microtransactions are likely guaranteed). If you are spending $15 worth of time playing/month, and not having to pay for XP bonuses or other Pay2Win options in order to be viable, I'm all for it.
---
Currently Playing - Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3 Beta)
#9XCrimsonSamuraiPosted 6/30/2013 11:55:24 AM
"But GW2 is free to play" has to be one of the single most recycled responses I've ever heard when it comes to discussion of subscription fees. It's no different than other free to play games which actually end up being pay to win since the average player drops $50 on the cash shop each month anyway, which is more than your standard p2p sub fees.

I also doubt GW2 devs spend much money on developing new content in between expansions which SE is planning to do, and expansions for FF MMOs are usually very affordable. Aren't the GW2 expansions the same price of the full game or something?

Either way, with f2p games, the only thing the developers end up caring about are new ways they can charge you for content that should have already been available to you, as well as paying their staff and making sure they come out ahead in the profits. With a sub fee, the developers of FFXIV get their cash up front, and with their profits secured, are able to put satisfying the customers first by developing a steady stream of new content through patches, and working on groundbreaking expansions like we had in FFXI.
---
PSN and NNID: CrimsonSamuraiX
#10KingDiavoloPosted 6/30/2013 12:03:47 PM
Free to play MMOs look really lame dude. I haven't much experience with MMOs in the first place but from I what I seen and read about them... they don't look very fun.

it sounds like the creators of F2P MMOs are just scheming bastards. the reel you in with it being free and the bag you with expensive subfees to actually enjoy the game. This ends up being more expensive than paying a monthly fee. you'll probably point out those charges are optional, well, if buying those cash shop items is the only true way to enjoy the game... why even play it?